U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 PM

174 posts, read 527,587 times

Advertisements

Here are a few questions:
-- do you 'go to town' (wherever that might be) once a week or so and stock up, or do you find yourself going more frequently? I live 7 miles from my most frequent destination right now, and I do all my errands whenever I have to make that trip, even though that distance doesn't really make me rural now. Do the increasingly-high gas prices put a damper on your jaunts?

We go to the grocery store, which is 10 minutes away, about once a week, and I go into Pittsboro for a class weekly. We eat out somewhere in the Triangle maybe 2x a month and go out and about for entertainment maybe 3x a month.

-- when you first moved to where you now are, did you have trouble finding good services (the best appliance repair, for example), and how did you manage that?

Our seller left us a list, which was great. We asked our neighbors, which worked well, and checked the Chatham County Chatlist for the rest.

-- how have your leisure activities changed since you are now countrified?

I play more music now, because there are more people to play with. And I do more crafts because I have more time to do them.

-- besides the obvious peace and quiet and freedom to live not under others' eyes, what are the biggest benefits? Do you grown your own produce, raise chickens, etc?

Yup. Chickens, goats & garden. But our garden wasn't great last year 'cause of the drought.

-- what have you found to be the biggest drawbacks?

Takes longer to get places and no cable TV or cell phone reception. Oh, one of the cats brought a black snake into the kitchen. And I'm not too keen on the chiggers and ticks, although I'm counting on the guinea hens to help with the latter.

-- how were the neighbors who were already there? Any problems with encroaching on their turf?

Not so I noticed.

-- how would you characterize 'the culture' of the nearest town and the county where you live?

A real mix of progressive artist hippie and conservative.

-- what are you going to do today that you couldn't have done in the last place you lived (or if you are a native, some more populated spot)?

Hee, hee. Feed the livestock & play with the baby goats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 PM

473 posts, read 658,477 times
Your time in the country sounds so peaceful -- I can't wait to join the ranks!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,016,948 times
Witchseavey just reminded me that last year was the best we ever did in controling Japanese Beetles, the Chickens eat them like popcorn, another good reason to increase flock size in Spring

Old 03-01-2008, 05:29 AM

24 posts, read 63,812 times
Hi everyone - I do so loooovvvvvvveeeee this thread!!! It makes me feel hopeful - I kinda need that right now.

Work has gotten crazy so my time to search for someplace to move has been restricted. I will need to drive into RTP to work so I'm still looking at Pittsboro as the furtherest (real word?.... most remote) town out - up through west edge Orange County and maybe Alamance. Unfortunately, my partner (boyfriend - sounds silly at my age) has not had any luck finding work since his heart surgery last year so I have to be concerned with staying near my job .... and finding HS internet.

Daughter would love for me to near CPT - she is in school trying to go into Zoology at NC State and wants to work with large - non-traditional animals (tigers, lions, zoo or preserve types). Son and wife are expecting child in June. Unfortunately - they will probably stay in Knightdale area for work - I was looking at Rolesville or nearer to them but way expensive.

We also had initial visit to some places looking at modular houses. Didn't know they had gone up so much. Hate to say it but I may have to deal with a manufactured home - sigh - my father would roll over in his grave but I'll never be able to afford the quality house he built - and I know what can happen when you buy an old house to "fix up". I don't have the knowledge, time or money. I'm shrinking down the amount of land but I'd rather stay at least around 2-2.5 acres if I can.

Time to be positive and practical - anyone know how to search for real estate NOT golf courses lots???

So I won't get to grow my own tomatoes this year - I'm sure I can find them looking around the country from some local people... yummmmmm tomatoes ....

off to search for good rated manufactured and land with critters (hate possums - will live with snakes)

thanks for listening/reading!!

Martha

Old 03-30-2008, 05:52 AM

24 posts, read 63,812 times
wow - I killed the thread .... sorry

martha

Old 03-31-2008, 07:06 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizSeeker View Post
wow - I killed the thread .... sorry

martha
Awwww....no you didn't! This place can be slow sometimes, especially on weekends - come on back, I'm sure others will eventually join you!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,540,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizSeeker View Post
Hi everyone - I do so loooovvvvvvveeeee this thread!!! It makes me feel hopeful - I kinda need that right now.

Work has gotten crazy so my time to search for someplace to move has been restricted. I will need to drive into RTP to work so I'm still looking at Pittsboro as the furtherest (real word?.... most remote) town out - up through west edge Orange County and maybe Alamance. Unfortunately, my partner (boyfriend - sounds silly at my age) has not had any luck finding work since his heart surgery last year so I have to be concerned with staying near my job .... and finding HS internet.

Daughter would love for me to near CPT - she is in school trying to go into Zoology at NC State and wants to work with large - non-traditional animals (tigers, lions, zoo or preserve types). Son and wife are expecting child in June. Unfortunately - they will probably stay in Knightdale area for work - I was looking at Rolesville or nearer to them but way expensive.

We also had initial visit to some places looking at modular houses. Didn't know they had gone up so much. Hate to say it but I may have to deal with a manufactured home - sigh - my father would roll over in his grave but I'll never be able to afford the quality house he built - and I know what can happen when you buy an old house to "fix up". I don't have the knowledge, time or money. I'm shrinking down the amount of land but I'd rather stay at least around 2-2.5 acres if I can.

Time to be positive and practical - anyone know how to search for real estate NOT golf courses lots???

So I won't get to grow my own tomatoes this year - I'm sure I can find them looking around the country from some local people... yummmmmm tomatoes ....

off to search for good rated manufactured and land with critters (hate possums - will live with snakes)

thanks for listening/reading!!

Martha

Best way to search for real estate is to log onto this website:
NCHomes.com

Do a land search in the area you are looking to live in, and then you get specific about a specific location...or just google search "land for sale in Eastern North Carolina.

If you are going to look at manufactured homes be advised that the market selection has been radically reduced since the market went soft and Clayton Homes is buying up all the smaller manufacturers. If you have a choice I suggest you buy from Oakwood Homes (owned by Clayton) as they are better built than all the rest. Modulars have gone up in price as they are equal to a site built home and they can be modified at lesser cost to make the home look more expensive than it is.

This forum runs slow as there is a Rural and Small Town Living sub forum where I usually check in every couple of days, and this is a national forum, not restricted to any one state or area. As lovesMountains said earlier, somebody will always come in who can help....

Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,406,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubatz View Post

Best way to search for real estate is to log onto this website:
NCHomes.com

Do a land search in the area you are looking to live in, and then you get specific about a specific location...or just google search "land for sale in Eastern North Carolina.

If you are going to look at manufactured homes be advised that the market selection has been radically reduced since the market went soft and Clayton Homes is buying up all the smaller manufacturers. If you have a choice I suggest you buy from Oakwood Homes (owned by Clayton) as they are better built than all the rest. Modulars have gone up in price as they are equal to a site built home and they can be modified at lesser cost to make the home look more expensive than it is.

This forum runs slow as there is a Rural and Small Town Living sub forum where I usually check in every couple of days, and this is a national forum, not restricted to any one state or area. As lovesMountains said earlier, somebody will always come in who can help....
UBatz: I find your posts extremely helpful but I've been away from this thread for awhile.

I've been searching around the "coastal" threads for NC. Do you have any favorite or recommended family friendly areas around (what I see is "called") the "Crystal Coast"? Have you visited there much?

I thought Morehead City looked possibly interesting and not too $$. Not sure re Beaufort. I'm trying to plan a trip down with my daughts (15 and 21) this summer.

What's your opinion of the coastal towns?

City living is no longer for us, just doesn't fit, and I feel strongly that we are ready for a change. The Carolinas always seemed like they'd be a good fit. We need more nature, beauty, etc., nicer people and fewer of them......but would like to be part of a community, of course....

Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,540,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
UBatz: I find your posts extremely helpful but I've been away from this thread for awhile....Thanks, I appreciate that nice thought!

I've been searching around the "coastal" threads for NC. Do you have any favorite or recommended family friendly areas around (what I see is "called") the "Crystal Coast"? Have you visited there much?...We enjoy the Wilmington area a lot as we are accustomed to living there for the summers. It is as friendly as they get and the beaches are well maintained and never crowded, especially Wrightsville Beach.

I thought Morehead City looked possibly interesting and not too $$. Not sure re Beaufort. I'm trying to plan a trip down with my daughts (15 and 21) this summer...Morehead City is a great place...friendly and remember, the locals simply call it "Morehead" .

What's your opinion of the coastal towns?...I love the coastal towns and there are so many to choose from...have you ever been to New Bern? Southport is likje an old New England Fishing Town, just a half hour out the point from Wilmington and a great place to live or visit.

City living is no longer for us, just doesn't fit, and I feel strongly that we are ready for a change. The Carolinas always seemed like they'd be a good fit. We need more nature, beauty, etc., nicer people and fewer of them......but would like to be part of a community, of course....
I don't blame you as I was a city dweller all my life until 13 years ago and I wouldn't be happy living anywhere other than in the country now...it spoils ya

Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,406,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubatz View Post
I don't blame you as I was a city dweller all my life until 13 years ago and I wouldn't be happy living anywhere other than in the country now...it spoils ya
Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and research Wilmington & Southport also.

I'm so glad to hear you were a city dweller. I can tell from your posts that you're very happy to be "out of there.....". Just too changed from what it used to be.

Someone had told me that the schools in coastal towns can be an issue, if I move before my HS daught is finished. I understand there's a "Crotan" HS that serves part of Morehead, that's a very good public school. I think this is going to be a big part of the decision if I move prior to her finishing.....

We will probably come down early in the summer. Hey, we probably won't want to come back!

Thanks again for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina