U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 AM

9 posts, read 35,756 times

Advertisements

Mizseeker, Hello! I really did love my property in Pittsboro. About Carnivor Preserve Trust- the doctor who started that program is deceased. Since his death the Trust has struggled financially. They have been cited several times for deficient enclosures. I would not allow my daughter to work there. JMO. I think they want to do a good job, but just do not have the money. The sluggish economy is not helping them at all. Asheboro is about 45 minutes from there (as you know I suspect), and perhaps your daughter could work at the zoo.

If I wanted to buy property in that general area I would go to Saxapahaw. Goldston is much cheaper if you can tolerate the long commute. Chapel Hill is very expensive. Graham is very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:51 PM

174 posts, read 527,374 times
I love Pittsboro. Not sure what issues you are referring to as "corruption" but, after so many years in Chicago, my standards may be pretty low. Taxes are OK, and I can't speak to schools. But Saxapahaw also has a lot of fabulousness.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 AM

24 posts, read 63,769 times
Thank you!! I've seen changes in the Pittsboro area - including CPT - just from the time we started volunteering back in the day and now. I still like the overall feel but I don't know anymore. I was looking at Goldston but did have issues with the commute and have also started too look at Saxphahaw and alamance Co.

I'm working so many hours, I don't have time to think much less look at land/houses. Considering how worried I am about making the wrong choice - as this is suppose to be my "retirement" home (HA) - I'm frozen in indecision.

AND my first grandchild is due within the next couple of weeks and my son and his wife have said hinted that it would be nice to have me closer to them (Knightdale). And our friends in the city are already saying - you can commute in and visit 'cause no one will find you in the boondocks - SIGH - no easy answers.

I'm serious craving fresh tomatoes ....need to start dropping by the farmer's market more ....

thank you for the help!!! I guess sooner or later, I'l have to make the plunge!

Martha

Old 06-04-2008, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 31,239 times
Default want rural area near Catawba

We live in CT and its getting to expensive here for us.
We have family in Charlotte but that is just to congested for us. My father in law just moved to Catawba and we would want to be no further than an hours drive from that. We homeschool so schools are not an issue. Just want a nice community with stores 30 min away.
Any suggestions. Thanks
I really like Mickey's description of where he lives in Sampson county but that is far from Catawba.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 AM

174 posts, read 527,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizSeeker View Post
I was looking at Goldston but did have issues with the commute and have also started too look at Saxphahaw and alamance Co.
I'm serious craving fresh tomatoes ....need to start dropping by the farmer's market more
Martha
Why not drop by the Saxapahaw farmer's market on Saturdays? Live music, fresh produce, lots of kid's activities . . . It is really fun! Saxapahaw Farmer's Market (http://www.rivermillvillage.com/farmers.html - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 06:47 PM

24 posts, read 63,769 times
This is sad - a year ago I swore I was going to ride out to Saxapahaw Farmer's market ... do you think I ever made it .... nnnoooooooo.

And now I'm craving fresh tomatoes again. Maybe I'll take off a weekend and go riding in the country ... where is the nearest big hospital for that area? Chapel Hill?

Thank you!

Martha

Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 AM

72 posts, read 163,946 times
Where did everybody go on this thread??? I really enjoyed reading this one..come back!!! We are visiting in two days and would like some ideas. We are looking for acreage in a small town but between Charlotte and Winston-Salem. My spouse will probably be working in Rowan County, but from reading some of the threads we are not interested in living in that county. How is Davie, Davidson and Forsyth, Yadkin too?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 AM

2,640 posts, read 6,063,899 times
Dallas, there are a number of towns between and Charlotte and Winston-Salem that would likely have great deals on rural property. Forsyth County will generally be more expensive than Davie, Yadkin, or Davidson counties, but it obviously has more to offer in the way of shopping, restaurants, arts, etc. The other counties are still very rural in many ways, but they're also becoming more suburban with large residential developments filling up with Winston-Salem commuters. This is beginning to cause conflict in some areas...for example, Davie County has one high school to serve the entire county. It is overcrowded, and inconvenient for the ever-growing population of the Advance/Farmington area (just across the river from Forsyth County). A new high school proposed for the Advance area was recently voted down, as the "old guard" feared it would drain resources from the existing school. This and other issues serve to create a divide between newer residents who likely identify more with Winston-Salem than with their home county, and the older residents who resent the "citification" of their rural counties.

That said, there are very nice areas to live in these counties. Not sure what you've heard about Rowan County, but from what I hear Salisbury is a nice town, and there are some very nice properties on High Rock Lake that are reasonably priced. You might also consider Statesville, Lexington, and Mocksville, or any of the many smaller "crossroads" towns in the area.

Visit the "Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point" forum for more info on Forsyth County. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM

635 posts, read 2,731,954 times
Lightbulb Sanford is a great "small town"

Although having a population of around 30k probably puts Sanford in the "large town" or "small city" category, Sanford has retained a lot of small town features that are very attractive for those looking for a nice balance.

Being centrally located in the Triangle, Sanford is only 20-50 minutes away from Raleigh/Durham/Cary, Fayetteville, and Greensboro. So if there is anything one wants from the "big city" that Sanford doesn't have, it is only a short drive away. But along with the small town features such as an historic downtown, famers' market, etc.... we've also got new development such as Wal-Mart, Lowes, and chain eateries.

Here are a couple maps showing Sanford's location relative to the Triangle and other resources:

Live Well Centered.

And housing is very affordable. Sanford has housing running the gamut from golf course developments, historic districts, new housing, to rural farmland.... all within 10 minutes of each other in many cases.

So if one likes being able to wave to your neighbors on their front porches, knowing the mayor personally, yet being able to also find just about anything one normally needs in a mid-sized city, Sanford may be a good choice.

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

Al

Old 02-21-2010, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 23,817 times
Default We Love our Small Town

I live close to Burgaw, Rose Hill and Atkinson. Burgaw is getting busy and the house prices are really high. I don't really know to much about Rose Hill. Atkinson is a great little town with that southern charm that is hard to find today. Everyone is friendly and the little stores remind me of a time gone by. No its not for everyone, but if your looking for a really nice place for kids to grow up, getting to know and like your neighbors then its a place for you. As far as Pender schools I had two children attend them and they are now both at UNCW so Pender county schools did something right.

The thing I like most about Atkinson area is being so close to everything but still living in the country.

Burgaw 15 miles
Wilmington 23 miles
Wallace 25 miles
Elizabeth Town 25 miles
Jacksonville 50 miles
Fayetteville60 miles
Myrtle Beach 68 miles
Raleigh 83 miles

As far as someone saying that there is nothing to do here, Well I guess you have to live around here to know that there is a lot to do:

Cape Fear River
Black River
Beatty's Bridge scenic crossing on the Black River with river canoe tours
Wonderful Christmas Parade
Youth Center
Public Library
Monthly Antique Auction
Brand New Medical Center with a Dentist going in.
City water and Sewer going in this year
Low Crime
Family Pool and Game room
Moore's Creek Battlefield
Park
Walking, Hiking , Boating, Kayak, Fishing, Horse Riding, Four Wheeling, Hunting, Garden Club, All kinds of Social stuff each month.

Just because you drive through a small town and it doesn't look much don't make the mistake of thinking there is nothing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina