U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2007, 06:02 PM
 
219 posts, read 895,386 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

We are in Alexander COunty . We are about 1 hour north of charlotte and 1 hour west of Winston- Salem

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
 
232 posts, read 691,154 times
Reputation: 169
Hey Mikey, here's an old time Sampson county pic for you:



I found it in an old Chamber of Commerce booklet for Eastern NC:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/ncencyc/ncencyc.html

It has some neat facts and photos of traditional rural life in the eastern counties.

Last edited by Sleestak; 12-29-2007 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 07:24 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,551,767 times
Reputation: 2394
Thumbs up Excellent link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Hey Mikey, here's an old time Sampson county pic for you:



I found it in an old Chamber of Commerce booklet for Eastern NC:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/ncencyc/ncencyc.html

It has some neat facts and photos about traditional rural life in the eastern counties.
hey sleestak: Cool link. Am gonna check it out...Happy New Year friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Willow Spring, North Carolina
473 posts, read 1,596,118 times
Reputation: 157
OK OK I'll come back if ya'll are gonna be so upset over it LOL LOL LOL

I just thought maybe I was too citified to be in a rural thread LOL I don't even have a whole acre but we want that so badly. Back in NJ we had so much land and in a mountain to boot. OH well.. can 't have it all right?? I do love Willow Spring so much.

It hasn't changed my lifestyle too much being here. I mean I never really had the city life before so I am just going with what I already know. Its quiet and peaceful. No planes fly over us.. I saw that was brought up .. so thats a plus I suppose.

We just have to face the fact that if we need something at the store we aren't going to "run out" to get it. We are going out to the store and we'll be back in at least 30 minutes. 7 min there and 7 min back.. 14 minutes right there. .plus actually purchasing the item needed.. .at least 10 minute process.. so 30 minutes if you get in a long line. There are few convenience stores right near my area. But I don't want one. I love it the way it is.

NCMommy

P.s. thanks for welcoming me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 AM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,551,767 times
Reputation: 2394
Thumbs up Shucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
OK OK I'll come back if ya'll are gonna be so upset over it LOL LOL LOL

I just thought maybe I was too citified to be in a rural thread LOL I don't even have a whole acre but we want that so badly. Back in NJ we had so much land and in a mountain to boot. OH well.. can 't have it all right?? I do love Willow Spring so much.

It hasn't changed my lifestyle too much being here. I mean I never really had the city life before so I am just going with what I already know. Its quiet and peaceful. No planes fly over us.. I saw that was brought up .. so thats a plus I suppose.

We just have to face the fact that if we need something at the store we aren't going to "run out" to get it. We are going out to the store and we'll be back in at least 30 minutes. 7 min there and 7 min back.. 14 minutes right there. .plus actually purchasing the item needed.. .at least 10 minute process.. so 30 minutes if you get in a long line. There are few convenience stores right near my area. But I don't want one. I love it the way it is.

NCMommy

P.s. thanks for welcoming me!
Shucks, ain't no big thing darlin' ..after all y'all are one of us!!!.

I can see by your time frame that you are definitely more country than anything else, even more than suburban...so you really are one of us. Welcome back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Willow Spring, North Carolina
473 posts, read 1,596,118 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Shucks, ain't no big thing darlin' ..after all y'all are one of us!!!.

I can see by your time frame that you are definitely more country than anything else, even more than suburban...so you really are one of us. Welcome back
And I love Carrie Underwood.. thats GOTTA speak volumes LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 02:55 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,551,767 times
Reputation: 2394
Thumbs up Clogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
And I love Carrie Underwood.. thats GOTTA speak volumes LOL
It sure does!...now, get yourself to a festival where the kids perform clogging as it is a real NC country thing. You see it all the time in Asheville and more in the western part of NC than the eastern, but watch the papers for the small town festivals during the summer and look for the cloggers.

If you REALLY wanna experience country/farm fun go to the Hollerin' Contest located at Spivey's Corner, in Sampson County.

Here's the link:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hollerin/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 PM
 
Location: finally in NC!
473 posts, read 659,421 times
Reputation: 298
Thanks for the good county map, Mikey! Is there a way to keep it 'UP' on the thread so it can be referred to when necessary?

We'll be moving to Warren County, which abuts the Virginia/NC line where I-85 does. It's very rural (the county seat, Warrenton, has slightly over 800 citizens). By this time 6 months from now I hope I'll be able to contribute more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 04:25 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,551,767 times
Reputation: 2394
Thumbs up I'll check to see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Thanks for the good county map, Mikey! Is there a way to keep it 'UP' on the thread so it can be referred to when necessary?

We'll be moving to Warren County, which abuts the Virginia/NC line where I-85 does. It's very rural (the county seat, Warrenton, has slightly over 800 citizens). By this time 6 months from now I hope I'll be able to contribute more!
I got that map from mm34b who is a wealth of good information in this forum. Maybe I can contact him and ask how the link can be saved but I don't think it can be set into a permanent position. I have the link in My Favorites so I can quickly pull it up when needed.

You appear to be our only Warren County rural member in this thread thus far so you already have seniority.....and you started this thread so you are a..ahem...Charter Member...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,551,767 times
Reputation: 2394
Today I noticed that one of my elderly neighbors was having some difficulty in helping a visitor get her car started. I naturally went over to ask if I could help.

The old timer said, "I'd be obliged" but the woman looked stunned! Well, it was no big deal as all I needed to do was get the jumper cables into action and she started up on the first try.

The woman, also elderly, thanked me profusely and I was so embarassed as I thought nothing of it. She came from the city and said if it happened there she would have had to call AAA and the police.

the old timer looked at me and winked and his female guest drove off with a happy smile on her face.

This made me feel good and I knew that I was meant to live out here.

I am sure all of you have a story like this so do share...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top