U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2008, 12:32 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,550,998 times
Reputation: 2394

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Mikey_NC mentioned a ride in the countryside for today. Is that a holiday tradition for the two of you? We used to do that every New Year's Day when I was a kid in Connecticut. Here in Florida, we try to go to the beach on the major holidays.

What about everyone else? Anything special you like to do? Anything (besides those black-eyes peas) that is particularly North Carolinian?

Happy New Year to all!
Actually, yes it is. My Wife and I started doing this when we were first married and it started as a joke...but we decided to make it our tradition and we expect it will last until we can't drive anymore! (fat chance).

Today we covered some ground in Godwin, which is sorta kinda like south of Dunn heading towards Stedman and Wade (Cumberland County). Saw some beautiful horse farms today and, alas, a housing development of half million dollar plus homes, all about 10 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,550,998 times
Reputation: 2394
Thumbs up Where tha blazes is everyone?

hey NIMS:

Where the blazes is everyone in this thread...sleeping off the New Year celebration??? I was really hoping this thread would start 2008 with a bang and still think that it will serve all the rural residents of our State well.

NC is the fastest growing State in America and I doubt that all the transplants are heading to the cities and the burbs

I tried to entice posters in other NC forums to come post with us but was advised that my topic material was off post so I guess advertising isn't the answer.

I guess you and NCMommy2-4 and I will have to talk to each other until other rural posters discover us and join in. I saw a few one time posters and hope they return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
OK, I for one am very interested (surprised?).

I live in an area that has a dollar store, general store, one traffic light 4 miles away and the closest city is 15 miles away.

Most of our neighbors here say "Moo", "oink" or "gobble gobble" and some don't speak as they are cotton, corn, beans and tobacco.

The air is clean, the noise is negligible and you can actually see the sun rise and set.

We are in Sampson County...how about you?.

What else would you like to know and what contributions are you suggesting?

Sounds like a slice of heavan to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
hey NIMS:

Where the blazes is everyone in this thread...sleeping off the New Year celebration??? I was really hoping this thread would start 2008 with a bang and still think that it will serve all the rural residents of our State well.

NC is the fastest growing State in America and I doubt that all the transplants are heading to the cities and the burbs

I tried to entice posters in other NC forums to come post with us but was advised that my topic material was off post so I guess advertising isn't the answer.

I guess you and NCMommy2-4 and I will have to talk to each other until other rural posters discover us and join in. I saw a few one time posters and hope they return.
I will be keeping an eye on this thread - just don't have much to contribute at this point since I live in the city! But boy oh boy, I do long to live in the mountains!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,550,998 times
Reputation: 2394
Thumbs up A Welcome Addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I will be keeping an eye on this thread - just don't have much to contribute at this point since I live in the city! But boy oh boy, I do long to live in the mountains!!!
lovesMountains:

I am quite familiar with your posts and your excellent reputation preceeds you. Please feel free to post in here, ask questions, give advice, etc as it's all good....Mike

PS I miss seeing the mountains too but the beach is close and just too appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
 
219 posts, read 895,273 times
Reputation: 65
I have been very busy since this thread happened. We have moved to Alexander County( just north of Hickory) from NJ in July and really love it here. We are currently renting a single wide mobile home in Hiddenite while our house is being built. We love driving around and seeing farm life. It is so peaceful here. The stars at night are wonderful to look at. Everyone is so warm , friendly and welcoming. We love our location. It is close enough to go to Charlotte to see what we want; We have already been to the Southern Christmas Show ;the Charlotte museum of History and LAtta Planatation. We are going this spring to see Wicked and Bruce Springsteen. For Thanksgiving, we went to Fontina Dam Village. It was a great place to spend the holidays.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckoff1 View Post
I have been very busy since this thread happened. We have moved to Alexander County( just north of Hickory) from NJ in July and really love it here. We are currently renting a single wide mobile home in Hiddenite while our house is being built. We love driving around and seeing farm life. It is so peaceful here. The stars at night are wonderful to look at. Everyone is so warm , friendly and welcoming. We love our location. It is close enough to go to Charlotte to see what we want; We have already been to the Southern Christmas Show ;the Charlotte museum of History and LAtta Planatation. We are going this spring to see Wicked and Bruce Springsteen. For Thanksgiving, we went to Fontina Dam Village. It was a great place to spend the holidays.

Melissa
Man, you are making me so jealous!! Sounds like my kind of living I'm happy for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
 
219 posts, read 895,273 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Man, you are making me so jealous!! Sounds like my kind of living I'm happy for you!
Thanks

Now we just have to get our house built

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckoff1 View Post
Thanks

Now we just have to get our house built

Melissa
I am interested in that...can you tell us what you have found homes in rural areas like yours are being built for per square foot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 06:18 AM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,550,998 times
Reputation: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am interested in that...can you tell us what you have found homes in rural areas like yours are being built for per square foot?
lovesMountains:

I did some research on this last year when we built our home here in Sampson County. The square foot price can range anywhere from $100 to $200 per square foot, ranging from modular to site built and based on a standard 1,600 sq ft one story home with unfinished loft area. I believe you can build a decent home for $125/sq ft using a contractor who site builds. Remember that there are so many variables that enter into the cost but I do not think it will vary much from eastern to western NC.

If you can find a reputable local, small general contractor who will allow you to do some of the work yourself, you could come up with a great looking and comfortable living home. We found that the small guy, if he has a good reputation, will build a better, tighter, more energy efficient home than the big cookie cutter type builder. Dollar for dollar I would first recommend a builder of modular homes first. First go visit the modular factory so you can see how they actually build and then decide.

Our home was built for a retired couple so we wanted better than average carpeting, appliances and very energy efficient. List your priorities and run them by builders and see what they tell you. If they sound more like salesmen than builders....run, don't walk...away!

I am a semi retired construction engineer (commercial building) and speak from experience. If you have any questions before you build post away or dm me and I will assist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top