U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,547,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
"lol..i really meant welcome not elcome...sheesh!"

And here I thought "elcome" was some insider NC Country Talk.
Sometimes my fingers and my brain are not quite fully synchronized
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Thanks for the good county map, Mikey! Is there a way to keep it 'UP' on the thread so it can be referred to when necessary?

We'll be moving to Warren County, which abuts the Virginia/NC line where I-85 does. It's very rural (the county seat, Warrenton, has slightly over 800 citizens). By this time 6 months from now I hope I'll be able to contribute more!
I love the areas across NC that abut Virginia - especially Surry County (which I77 runs thru into Virginia).

Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
"lol..i really meant welcome not elcome...sheesh!"

And here I thought "elcome" was some insider NC Country Talk.
One of my friends live in Welcome, North Carolina.
He would pick with me and say "Welcome to Welcome"
I would say " Thank you kindly".
He would reply "Your Welcome Welcome".

Around Welcome use to be a nice small town with rural surroundings, but due to annexation from Winston Salem cookie cutter homes are starting to litter the landscape. It still a great area low taxes, home of RCR Racing and still plenty of farm land that surrounds it but unless the city annexes it country side I can see that changing from bigger cities annexations.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
One of my friends live in Welcome, North Carolina.
He would pick with me and say "Welcome to Welcome"
I would say " Thank you kindly".
He would reply "Your Welcome Welcome".

Around Welcome use to be a nice small town with rural surroundings, but due to annexation from Winston Salem cookie cutter homes are starting to litter the landscape. It still a great area low taxes, home of RCR Racing and still plenty of farm land that surrounds it but unless the city annexes it country side I can see that changing from bigger cities annexations.
Oh that's funny. I would love to go there just to hear someone say "Welcome to welcome"!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Very interesting Mikey, thank you!

Would you care to share your very informed opinion on true modular homes? Do you see many in the rural area where you live?
A true modular home is one that is built in a weather proof environment using the right size materials so as to eliminate or drastically cut down waste. the methods used to build a modular are the same as those used to build a site built home (some call them stick built). Modulars, like all "manufactured" homes are built on a steel base frame but they are hoisted onto a concrete foundation and secured into place with pre-set anchor bolts. Site built homes are nailed down and manufactured homes are strapped down. My humble opinion is that modulars are becoming fierce competition for site built homes as the almost identical, home can be bought for about 20% less and not many people can tell the difference from the curb (in my case being rural, from the drainage ditch at the side of the road).

Did this answer your question okay? If not just hammer away and I will reply!

Actually there are not that many out here, but whenever I see a crane traveling the roads I always look to see if it is a modular. Most of the homes out my way are old, site built, established homes, some dating way back, and the newer homes are a mix of site built and doublewide manufactured homes. We probably have about 2 or 3 modulars in my general area (that I know of).

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 01-03-2008 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: spelling!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 AM

473 posts, read 658,990 times
Default how cold did it get in everyone's neck of the woods?

It might be fun if we got some answers about weather (and whether this is the norm or is unusual for your area?) -- did you have snow? Does it feel about right to you for this time of year, or are your ole bones rattlin' ?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Thumbs up yes, talk about great minds...

Quote:
It might be fun if we got some answers about weather (and whether this is the norm or is unusual for your area?) -- did you have snow? Does it feel about right to you for this time of year, or are your ole bones rattlin' ?
I was just thinking this same thing when you posted it (thus the great minds thingy).

It is currently 30 degrees here in my part of Sampson County (Spivey's Corner) and it was as low as 18 degrees last night. We expect it to drop again tonight to 17 or lower.

The sun is shining and the wind is a blowin' out theah...glad i don't have to go out today...need a nap anyway.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM

473 posts, read 658,990 times
Default in Warren County

according to my Yahoo Weather desktop icon, it is 35 degrees in Warren County, just south of Virginia off I-85.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM

Thumbs up More cold coming

Quote:
according to my Yahoo Weather desktop icon, it is 35 degrees in Warren County, just south of Virginia off I-85.
Weather forecast has us slated for more cold weather but they expect it to climb to the 70s next week (per WRAL TV weather news today). I like it as there are no more flies hanging around and the birds are enjoying all the seed and suet we just put out for them.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM

Thumbs up Change in thread name

nims:

You being our fearless leader I must ask a question:

Does this change mean we have expanded our horizons to take on posts and posters anywhere in NC outside of the cities?

City folks probably couldn't care less what happens in small town and in the country anyway.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 01-03-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: many thanks to SunnyKayak for all the help and support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina