Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 02:14 PM

676 posts, read 493,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course Raleigh has the things that come with being state capital and the state museums have a great reputation. And in addition to the attendees of collegiate sporting events in the Triangle, you have all the fans who visit the sporting venues on campus which have legendary status.

Wet 'n Wild, the zoo, and Old Salem were mainly what I was thinking of for the Triad, and it will be interesting to see how Greensboro's new PAC competes with Durham's going forward. Since I mentioned BBQ earlier, I suppose Lexington would count for the Triad as well. Are Mount Airy and Pilot Mountain associated with the Triad? I know they are kinda out there by themselves.

Yes, Mt Airy and Pilot Mountain are considered part of the Triad. Surry, Stokes, Rockingham, Alamance, Guilford, Forsyth, Davie, Davidson, Yadkin, and Randolph. At one time people included Caswell and Montgomery, I don't think that's the case anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 03:48 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilFan View Post
Yes, Mt Airy and Pilot Mountain are considered part of the Triad. Surry, Stokes, Rockingham, Alamance, Guilford, Forsyth, Davie, Davidson, Yadkin, and Randolph. At one time people included Caswell and Montgomery, I don't think that's the case anymore.
I knew the county they are in is part of the Triad but I'm also aware that some places that are technically within a region might not have the strongest association with it.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:15 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Quote:
I knew the county they are in is part of the Triad but I'm also aware that some places that are technically within a region might not have the strongest association with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilFan View Post
Caswell and Montgomery are both very rural counties having less than 30,000 people in each. The intergovernmental organization that deals with regional issues considers them part of the Triad region, as does the local television media market.

https://www.ptrc.org/about/about-the-region

With that in mind, they also diverge in several different directions when people leave these counties for amenities not readily available within those two counties.

Caswell might have more association with Danville, VA near the Virginia border, with the southwestern quadrant having at least some association with Greensboro and the southeastern quadrant having at least some association with Durham and Chapel Hill.

Montgomery is even more split. It has more of an association with the Greensboro area (including Asheboro which is closer) in the northeastern quadrant, Charlotte around Lake Tillery in the southwestern quadrant (including Albemarle which is closer), it's somewhat split between Charlotte (including Albemarle and perhaps Concord area as well) and the Triad around Badin Lake in the northwestern quadrant, and it's connected most closely with Southern Pines & Pinehurst in the southeastern quadrant.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-22-2021 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-22-2021, 04:18 PM

676 posts, read 493,155 times
Quote:
It may sound silly but I kinda look at what areas the local stations cover... in particular the high school sports scene. Mt Airy and East Surry (Pilot Mountain) have had pretty good football programs through the years. They get alot of converage on the Winston Salem TV channel and in the W-S Journal. They are convered by the HP and GSO TV Stations... though the local newspaper (at least not the Greensboro paper) doesn't cover them. All Three TV Stations cover Eastern Alamance HS (Mebane)... occasionally Bartlett Yancey (Caswell County).. and at one time they covered the Montgomery County schools.. though that has lessened.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:49 PM

771 posts, read 624,859 times
I view the Triad as all areas between Mebane and Yadkinville, stretching up to the Virginia border (Danville, etc.) and as far south as Siler City, Asheboro, Lexington, and Mocksville. Caswell County (Yanceyville) is in the Triad IMO, but neighboring Person County (Roxboro) is in the Triangle.

Montgomery County's location is a little awkward and it's actually not far from Charlotte, but I-74 seems to connect it with the Triad. You can drive from Biscoe to Greensboro in less than an hour.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I view the Triad as all areas between Mebane and Yadkinville, stretching up to the Virginia border (Danville, etc.) and as far south as Siler City, Asheboro, Lexington, and Mocksville. Caswell County (Yanceyville) is in the Triad IMO, but neighboring Person County (Roxboro) is in the Triangle.

Montgomery County's location is a little awkward and it's actually not far from Charlotte, but I-74 seems to connect it with the Triad. You can drive from Biscoe to Greensboro in less than an hour.
This map will show you how there's no gaps in CSAs between the Triangle and Triad, and between the Triad and Charlotte. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2021 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina