Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 08:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilFan View Post
Too bad there isn't a separate NC Development thread in which we could discuss this Apple announcement and its impact on RTP and the surrounding metro area.
No Kidding!

In today's press conference from the grounds of the Governor's Mansion, one of the speakers said that IBM coming to Raleigh was of utmost importance to the Triangle, and inferred that the Apple announcement was worthy of being similarly impactful. I totally agree. This isn't just Raleigh or Triangle news, this is statewide news worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 12:40 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
First you gotta get two single spots that thousands would go back and forth to everyday to justify and pay for operations.

That Durham/ Orange proposal was done all wrong.

They didn't identify where it was really needed or helpful and took a map and drew a meandering line trying to pick up enough passengers. It had like 17 stops and would have taken 3-5 longer (way over an hour) than just driving.

It wouldn't be used and would be a money pit just for daily operation.

My guess for the first segment would be downtown Raleigh with a huge park and ride lot doing a beeline to RTP with a stop at NCSU and one in Cary and that's it.

Companies would pick up their employess at one central RTP stop..

Maybe the next segment would be from RTP to downtown Durham.

An airport stop would be great, but that's a whole host of other issues.
I'd settle for this as a starting place at this point. We need something soon or it's going to be insane in about a decade. I mean heck even dedicated BRT along that same route would suffice. Key word being dedicated. None of this mishmash shared travel lane crap that makes taking the bus worthless with regard to time saved.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:19 AM

6,115 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Absolutely. Even Summerfield kind of has a rural feel to it, whereas small towns in the Triangle are quickly turning into congested suburbs. Wake Forest might as well be an extension of suburban north Raleigh in this day and age, for example. The only areas that haven't boomed yet are eastern Wake (Wendell, Zebulon) and Granville (Butner, Creedmoor).

The Triad's suburbs are far more conservative, too. The cities of Greensboro and Winston-Salem are quite liberal (more so for Greensboro), but the surrounding areas are very red. Yadkin, Davidson, and Randolph are Republican strongholds.
The elephant in the room for the Triad's outlying counties is that when you leave the core cities and counties, the education levels drop noticeably, reflecting the history of those economies not traditionally requiring higher levels of education.

And that brings various side effects, such as the shopping selection in those areas being more limited even by rural standards, and the powers that be in the core cities end up pushing their communities' undesirable land uses (such as landfills and reservoirs that eat up the tax base but have very limited recreational benefit for locals) out into those counties.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:42 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times
I agree there is definitely a difference between the Triangle suburbs and the Triad suburbs. In the Triangle suburbs, they are an extention of the core cities filled with soccer moms and northeastern transplants. In the Triad, once you leave Greensboro and Winston-Salem and go into places like Summerfield, Kernersville and Thomasville the demographics are very rural, white and conservative like much of the rest of the state. There is a stark demographic line between Greensboro and the surrounding suburbs. Go into Greensboro and its culturally diverse and liberal.

As for the Apple news, clearly this is the biggest economic development in the Triangle in decades. But the Apple campus is also going to have an indirect economic impact across the state. This is big news for all of North Carolina. Hopefully some of this will spill over into the Triad.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:24 PM

676 posts, read 493,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree there is definitely a difference between the Triangle suburbs and the Triad suburbs. In the Triangle suburbs, they are an extention of the core cities filled with soccer moms and northeastern transplants. In the Triad, once you leave Greensboro and Winston-Salem and go into places like Summerfield, Kernersville and Thomasville the demographics are very rural, white and conservative like much of the rest of the state. There is a stark demographic line between Greensboro and the surrounding suburbs. Go into Greensboro and its culturally diverse and liberal.

As for the Apple news, clearly this is the biggest economic development in the Triangle in decades. But the Apple campus is also going to have an indirect economic impact across the state. This is big news for all of North Carolina. Hopefully some of this will spill over into the Triad.

The NY Times has an extremely detailed election map of the 2020 and 2016 elections. You can hover over counties and see how the voting went.... and if you zoom in closely.. you can see how every single precinct in the country voted (with the exception of a few states). The only precinct in Greensboro that went red was far soutwest GSO with the Sedgefield area.. and that was by just 3 votes.

Pretty interesting....

An Extremely Detailed Map of the 2020 Election

Old 05-02-2021, 08:45 AM

771 posts, read 625,882 times
Historically, western North Carolina was a Republican stronghold, while eastern North Carolina was a Democratic stronghold. The Triangle is influenced by the eastern part of the state, while the Triad is closer to Appalachia. Maybe there's still some truth in those regional differences? Greensboro (and Winston to a lesser extent) is the exception, as it's quite liberal with a large African American population similar to Durham.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Historically, western North Carolina was a Republican stronghold, while eastern North Carolina was a Democratic stronghold. The Triangle is influenced by the eastern part of the state, while the Triad is closer to Appalachia. Maybe there's still some truth in those regional differences? Greensboro (and Winston to a lesser extent) is the exception, as it's quite liberal with a large African American population similar to Durham.
Greensboro is probably the most diverse major city in North Carolina by percentage followed by Durham. There are more combined minorities in Greensboro than white people based on current population demographics. Diversity is a great thing for a growing urban city. In the region Greensboro is an anomaly. Randolph County just south of Greensboro is lilly white and ultra conservative. But this is a trend nationwide. Minorities live in the cities and whites live in rural areas. But Greensboro is indeed the most liberal city and melting pot of the Triad where different ideas and beliefs are welcomed. There are things you can get away with in Greensboro that you can't get away with in a city like Thomasville such as the large painted fully nude woman on the building near the Greensboro depot. Just try to put up a mural like that in downtown Thomasville and see what happens.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-02-2021 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-02-2021, 09:51 AM

771 posts, read 625,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Greensboro is probably the most diverse major city in North Carolina by percentage followed by Durham. There are more combined minorities in Greensboro than white people based on current population demographics. So in the region Greensboro is an anomaly. Randolph County just south of Greensboro is lilly white and ultra conservative. But this is a trend nationwide. Minorities live in the cities and whites live in rural areas. But Greensboro is indeed the most liberal city in the Triad. There are things you can get away with in Greensboro that you can't get away with in a city like Thomasville such as the painted nude woman on the building near the Greensboro depot.
Yep, and north of Greensboro is Rockingham County, similar to Randolph. Predominately white and very conservative.

Burlington is an interesting place because it's almost like a smaller Greensboro in a way, but it's clearly more conservative.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:38 PM

676 posts, read 493,986 times
Even in something like mask usage and vaccination rates.. I would guess the Triangle would have better usage and rates than the Triad. I was in Davie county last weekend.. and went to two gas stations.. and I was the only person with a mask on in both stores... even the cashiers didn't have them on. I don't see as many masked people when I'm in Asheboro as I do here in Guilford County.

Quote:
Yep, and north of Greensboro is Rockingham County, similar to Randolph. Predominately white and very conservative.

Burlington is an interesting place because it's almost like a smaller Greensboro in a way, but it's clearly more conservative.
It's more conservative, but if you look at the map of Burlington.. there is alot of blue precincts...perhaps more than red. Unfortunately the map doesn't show city limits.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilFan View Post
Even in something like mask usage and vaccination rates.. I would guess the Triangle would have better usage and rates than the Triad. I was in Davie county last weekend.. and went to two gas stations.. and I was the only person with a mask on in both stores... even the cashiers didn't have them on. I don't see as many masked people when I'm in Asheboro as I do here in Guilford County.

It's more conservative, but if you look at the map of Burlington.. there is alot of blue precincts...perhaps more than red. Unfortunately the map doesn't show city limits.
The interesting thing as that while cases of Covid are dropping currently red counties in the state are reporting the highest number of new cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina