Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times

Advertisements

The bulk of the people I work with came from NYC or NJ. Most still own their homes in those areas, and are all planning to return someday. I've never lived in either, so I don't know what they're like. Everyone of these people, and it seems everyone who posts to these NC forums, paints pictures of NYC and NJ as if they are the ultimate paradise to live in as long an one has the means financially. Are they really the utopias they're described as being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 01:08 PM

100 posts, read 530,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
The bulk of the people I work with came from NYC or NJ. Most still own their homes in those areas, and are all planning to return someday. I've never lived in either, so I don't know what they're like. Everyone of these people, and it seems everyone who posts to these NC forums, paints pictures of NYC and NJ as if they are the ultimate paradise to live in as long an one has the means financially. Are they really the utopias they're described as being?
No place is paradise. But take it from someone who lived in the suburbs of Manhattan for 42 years and was raised there; if you have the money its great. Its just that the real estate is super expensive, taxes are high and you can take the per gallon price of gas down here and add 30 cents to it and that's what you'll pay in NY. Like to smoke? I quit a long time ago and don't wish to promote it but when I saw a pack down here for $3.50 I almost choked. In NYC its about 8 bucks a pack with all the taxes. Suburbs like $5.25. (I may be slightly off New Yorkers, so correct me if need be). And when I went into a restaurant down here and the Matire'D said "Smoking or Non?" I nearly passed out. Haven't heard that up North in more than a decade. You wanna smoke? Go stand out in the snow with everyone else because you won't be doing it inside any buildings and that includes cigar stores!

NJ is nice too and has the cheapest gas in the nation and no self-serve; an attendant pumps it for you. Once again its expensive; high taxes and real estate and if I'm not mistaken the highest car insurance in the country. NJ sometimes gets a bad rap for being too industrial but its really a beautiful state. Worst thing about Jersey; no alcohol in the grocery store. I'm not a lush but I don't want to go to the liquor store everytime I want a six pack. In NY you get beer in the grocery store but no wine; you have to go to the liquor store or a wine store for that. Being in NC was the first time in my life that I ever bought a bottle of Merlot in a Rite-Aid (At first I thought it might be a fancy bottle of Listerine).

All areas of NYC Metro including the NY, NJ and CT suburbs all have easy access to the city and a great mass transit system (best in the country and the largest) but commuting can be a nightmare sometimes. Traffic is bad and there are too many ridiculously useless tolls. I stopped driving in the city a a long time ago simply because its too hard and expensive to park and the train was much easier. My sister actually had a 9-5 job with a FOUR HOUR commute, making it a 7-7 job. That's lousy. Now her commute down here is only ten minutes.

What can I say about NYC? Has its problems of course. But it has great museums, shows, restaurants, nightlife, its great. I love it and always will.

That's not to say NC is bad; its great too. Every area has positives and beauty and something to offer and nice people. Here's one great thing to say about this area: NO SNOW!!! I heard about a foot is getting dropped on the Northeast today. You folks may think its cool; I can live without it thanks.

One thing mystifies me. You say these northerners you know still own their homes and plan to return. Most of the folks I see on these boards have sold and relocated because its too expensive to live in NY and NJ and they're tired of it.

OK I'm done. I hope that people don't think the only thing I care about is drinking and smoking. I'm typing off the top of my head.

Last edited by AnNYYankee; 02-22-2008 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina