U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,935 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm living in Australia (originally from Ireland) and wanting to study in NC...

I havent a clew on costs of living there, so been trying to 'google' as much info on the areas as much as possible, but thought it better to ask 'people' that have first hand experience of living in NC. (as its a little hard for me to scout around 'n check the place out myself being so far away lol.)

which area (Raleigh, Charlotte, Fayetteville etc) are they better places to study? (I know that there are a lot of factors to base this on, which kinda makes it hard, so even general info would be great)

Does anyone know any info on the ROTC programs that uni's offer in NC? (do u have to be a US citizen to be eligible?)

Is it better to live on campus, or to share or rent own accommodation? (what are the general costs for rent etc?)

how does car insurance/rego work over there?? it expensive? any info on this will help

Anyways, I look forward to get some insite to some/or most of my queries!

Thanx heaps..
...bek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,594,060 times
What are you looking to study? That will narrow down your location quite a bit. From there you can gather specific information on cost living, including groceries, rent, insurance and the like.

I take it you haven't been accepted into a University yet? From talking to others, I think this might make moving to the states easier than trying to enter on your own, as the University will be able to offer assistance on filing paperwork and such.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,539,156 times
Bek_Ire:

I fully agree with JJingle. Once you are accepted into a university your choices will become more concentrated and clearer. Once you have accomplished this do pot again and there will always be someone to help.

With regards to Charlotte, Raleigh and Fayetteville, let me say this. Fayetteville is a military town with Fort Bragg being a major employer. Charlotte is a larger city than Raleigh but I believe the college life is better in Raleigh.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,105,871 times
Great advice from others so far. To help figure out what schools, I would recommend looking at the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area first. It has many universities offering a full range of degree programs to choose from.

As for living, since you're coming from so far away, you might do well to live on-campus for your first year in order to meet folks and take advantage of some of the special programs offered for international students. Be cautioned, however, that during school breaks the dormitories sometimes close, so you'd need to have a friend to stay with.

Car insurance is affordable in Raleigh compared to other parts of the USA. I'd guess that you might pay a higher rate than a local w/ an established driving record here. My insurance for a safe $30k sedan w/ a clean driving record is about $625/year for full coverage. You can probably learn a lot from one of the major insurers' websites. Check GEICO & Progressive for all sorts of information including online quotes.

I believe the military requires a green card to serve, so the same might apply to ROTC. Not sure how they deal w/ student visas.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,935 times
thanks heaps for all your responses...

have taken note on things you'v mentioned.

Bek

Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,105,871 times
I have learned since my previous post that, coming from out of the country, you will be treated as a new driver here, regardless of your driving record in Australia or elsewhere. Therefore, your car insurance rates will be on par with a 16 year old and rather high; I'd venture a guess that for a modest $14,000 car, your full coverage might be $1000 or more per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina