Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,568,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Sometimes I'm surprised Charlotte has the HOF. I know more people who are into F1 racing and think NASCAR is a giant borefest.
Oh not really. F1 racing is on hard times now for lack of interest, they are losing sponsors, and teams are going bankrupt. Ironically they are looking at the success of NASCAR for ways to improve their situation.

Teams going bankrupt in F1 is nothing new but a solution is needed | Sport | The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 02:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,245,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagemomma View Post
<shrugh> how about because it is noisy, creates pollution, and 90% of the people leaving the racetrack are drunk or high on pot (or worse?)
high on pot?! Omg, please someone think of the children!!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,245,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
I'm surprised Raleigh doesn't have a NFL team.
NEVER will happen, in the current NFL/demographic climate.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:47 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,481,049 times
Yeah, why would Raleigh ever receive an NFL team? We have the Panthers down in Charlotte, and still a ton of Washington Redskins fans from the days before the Panthers. I'm still surprised we have the Carolina Hurricanes and not Charlotte! Must be all the Yankees up here .

Last edited by JayJayCB; 11-12-2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,587,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
2 in 1 state? I am not sure there is that much need or want. People that want to see a race travel to Charlotte/Concord which is not a long distance. I am not really surprised since I am not sure any state has 2 speedways.
Yup, not long ago Rockingham was open so NC had 2 NASCAR sanctioned tracks. Rockingham is a distant memory now.....sold a few times....on the verge of bankruptcy a few times....

There was Wilkesboro as well.....can't even remember when that shut down. Years ago.

With Charlotte holding something like 160,000 people, why would NC need another track? Or had 160,000 seats. The keep taking them out at Charlotte and many tracks because they're not selling enough tickets. Empty seats look awful to advertisers on tv.

There are many race tracks all over NC and the country that have nothing to with NASCAR. Never have. Never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
And all that country music, too...yuck!
What country music? I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers at a pre-race show there several years back....I wonder when they became country!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:44 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,543,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
<shrugh> How about because it is noisy, creates pollution, and 90% of the people leaving the racetrack are drunk or high on pot (or worse?)
Stereotype much?
The last time I visited Martinsville there were many families there and before you even go there they were all sober, no camos, pot, mullets, and had teeth.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Yeah, why would Raleigh ever receive an NFL team? We have the Panthers down in Charlotte, and still a ton of Washington Redskins fans from the days before the Panthers. I'm still surprised we have the Carolina Hurricanes and not Charlotte! Must be all the Yankees up here .
Not that I am in the camp of people who want NFL in Raleigh or are surprised that it isn't here already, I would remind everyone that Missouri has two teams and far less people than North Carolina. Even if you add Kansas and Missouri together, NC still has more than a million more people. I would think that it's totally plausible that the Triangle could get a team if and when the Metro is recombined into one and its population metrics reflect more of the reality of the area. Even then, it will be a huge challenge give that the Triangle has 150,000 "Football Bowl Subdivision" seats to fill each year.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,481,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Not that I am in the camp of people who want NFL in Raleigh or are surprised that it isn't here already, I would remind everyone that Missouri has two teams and far less people than North Carolina. Even if you add Kansas and Missouri together, NC still has more than a million more people. I would think that it's totally plausible that the Triangle could get a team if and when the Metro is recombined into one and its population metrics reflect more of the reality of the area. Even then, it will be a huge challenge give that the Triangle has 150,000 "Football Bowl Subdivision" seats to fill each year.
Yeah, but that's Missouri. For one, Kansas City is in the middle of nowhere. The Chiefs can attract fans from Kansas, Nebraska (Omaha isn't too far), Iowa, possibly some areas of Arkansas and Oklahoma, etc. St. Louis isn't as bad, but still. I don't see the point in bringing the NFL to Raleigh, we're two and a half hours from Charlotte for the Panthers and four and a half hours south of DC for the Redskins. I can think of so many others that could receive an NFL team. LA, Memphis, Austin or San Antonio, possibly Salt Lake City, etc. Maybe it's just me. This is already the best area in the nation for college basketball, Charlotte doesn't have that at all. They can keep the NFL, we really don't need it. I'm not surprised at all, with UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, and Duke in the area. The East Coast in general doesn't need anymore NFL teams. But then again, only my opinion. It's hard for me to imagine. Yeah, the Triangle is growing and all, but still.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:22 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
This is North Carolina. We take pride in being known as the birthplace of NASCAR. However, we really only have one speedway down in Concord. No speedway around Greensboro or Raleigh, should I be surprised?
Only if you look like this.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,888,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
In addition to Rockingham, North Wilkesboro was an original NASCAR site. Both suffered as the popularity of the sport grew too GREEDY for them.
There... Fixed it for you!

NASCAR has turned its back on its loyal fans that grew the sport and is now embracing every trendy source of money it can find. But, that's life and we can either deal with it or move on to other interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina