Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 03:14 AM

50 posts, read 79,362 times

Advertisements

DH graduates PA school in a year and we are starting to talk about where to head when he's done. We are very seriously considering North Carolina and I'd love an insider's perspective on where to look. We will make a visit prior to moving.
Let me tell you what we'd be looking for.

-3-4 bedroom rental house (not ready to buy) with a medium sized yard (large enough for a swing set, play area for the kids and dog)
-Rental price no higher than $1600/month
-Good schools (we have two children in elementary school)
-We're coming from a very blue state politically so somewhat liberal would be nice
-Good job market (he's in medicine; I am in HR/IO Psych)
-Good healthcare
-Just a really good community for families (lots to do, etc...)
-Somewhat close proximity to the ocean (we're 4 hours away from it now and would like to do better!)

Considering these things, where would you recommend we look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
Best idea is to get a job, and then move wherever the job is.

Based on what you're looking for, I would suggest focusing on the Triangle. I suggest checking out all the other threads by people considering a move to NC also.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Yeah, that sounds like the Triangle to me, which is Raleigh, Durham Chapel Hill and surrounding suburbs. It's about 2 hrs to the beach.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Yes, the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) has much of what you seek: it's the Blue spot of a Purple state (although bear in mind that NC has taken a HARD turn to the right with the current governor and Legislature, and if you're just throwing a dart at the map, you may want a more consistently Blue state than here); it's 2-3 hours to the beach; lots of healthcare places (though you would be strongly advised to land a job BEFORE up-and-moving on a wing and a prayer). It's more expensive than other parts of the state but that's just supply and demand.

What made you look at NC specifically? How many times have you been here and where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina