Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM

6,874 posts, read 7,852,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Chicken little indeed. Considering that the OP does not list any sources for the claims and this topic was created as a purely political let's beat up Republicans discussion, I thought I'd post the GOP's response to such claims. I note the usual suspects are back making claims the state is headed to Armageddon or will turn out like NJ again.

NC House Republicans- State education spending: the facts | NCGOP

Nothing new about Chicken Little. He's been around a long time. Democrats have been saying this in NC for a long time, yet the public no longer trusts them to run things. BTW. The actual proposed budget increases education $s from the state. You can check it for yourself if you like.

(Dear partisans, the Democrats had their asses handed to them nationally in this past election. There is a reason for it. Probably best to focus on that rather than imagined things falling from the sky.)
Dude, the canary died a long time ago. Our schools are struggling and we will suffer the consequences in the future.

Blame whoever you want, fix it however you want, but don't pretend we don't have a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,526,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Keep dreaming. The failure to manage the debt is the current people in power. Trying to blame one group or another is the politicians best tool.....
The debt is being managed. The debt run up by the previous administration is now being reduced by the current administration. There is no dreaming involved with this. The budget numbers are on the NC Gov. website for anyone to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The current debt problems are created by the people in power now and unable to create enough revenue. One way to fix the problem is to take the Medicaid expansion, allowing that line item in their budget to go back into the general fund for the next 3 years.
You are confusing debt & deficit.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
...., but don't pretend we don't have a problem.
Where did I say we didn't have a problem?

Now if you wish to address what I've actually posted, then we might have a discussion.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:37 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,952,943 times
Quote:
But you see this is a no win argument of partisans. The partisans will first argue there is too much debt caused by overspending by the state so we have to cut back teachers. So then when it's pointed out that the over spending was caused by the party the partisan favors, then immediately we hear about all the good that was done by the overspending. Circular Reasoning.

It's what I said in the beginning. It's not about education or whatever. It's all about how evil the "other party" is. i.e
The debt you complain about was run up when the funds needed to pay out unemployment benefits consumed all the funds that had been collected in the state for unemployment insurance. The feds then lent the state money to continue paying out benefits. As happened in every state in the country during the biggest recession in the last 90 years. Is this what you are calling overspending and partisan favors?

Dream on buddy.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post

Dream on buddy.
I'm not sure why you are responding as such. You are only agreeing with what I said.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:42 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,696,062 times
We learned today that they are closing down one of two cafeteria lines for the rest of the year. In theory, that is 200 kids through one line in 35 minutes, which includes eating.

The reality, however, is that Michelle Obama's rancid, "healthy" food has discouraged so many children from eating at school, and the school has been wasting tons of "healthy" food that gets tossed, often without a single scoop being served.

This may be OK in the long run, but just another brick in the wall!

Old 11-25-2014, 05:09 AM

16,757 posts, read 8,181,366 times
Debt is being created due to a shortfall of revenue. That is what it is. At the state level, it becomes debt, states have to balance budgets and the only way to cover a revenue shortfall is through debt (loans or bonds).
The current favorite GOP method is to cut funding to counties and cities. This method combined with the cap on sales taxes will lead to higher real estate taxes. The tax system imposed by the Leg. and Gov. was not needed as we had a balanced tax system.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 AM

16,757 posts, read 8,181,366 times
Quote:
The debt is being managed. The debt run up by the previous administration is now being reduced by the current administration. There is no dreaming involved with this. The budget numbers are on the NC Gov. website for anyone to see.

You are confusing debt & deficit.
They are creating new debt. At state level the deficit becomes debt as states must balance either by loan or bond. They like to say they use the reserves, problem with that is the reserves are to be funded by law. So all it becomes is a loan which will have to be repaid.

Low reserves mean higher loan cost.

So they are putting the future of our kids and grand kids at risk.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,524,311 times
Quote:
Chicken little indeed. Considering that the OP does not list any sources for the claims and this topic was created as a purely political let's beat up Republicans discussion, I thought I'd post the GOP's response to such claims. I note the usual suspects are back making claims the state is headed to Armageddon or will turn out like NJ again.

NC House Republicans- State education spending: the facts | NCGOP

Nothing new about Chicken Little. He's been around a long time. Democrats have been saying this in NC for a long time, yet the public no longer trusts them to run things. BTW. The actual proposed budget increases education $s from the state. You can check it for yourself if you like.

(Dear partisans, the Democrats had their asses handed to them nationally in this past election. There is a reason for it. Probably best to focus on that rather than imagined things falling from the sky.)
I don't think you are in control of the facts about education spending in NC.

"In 1984-85, the $1.89 billion authorized for public education accounted for 43.7 percent of the budget. A decade later, the $4.08 billion authorized in the budget was 42 percent of the 1994-95 budget. By 2004-05, the state was spending $6.52 billion on public schools, which accounted for 41.1 percent of the state budget.

The slide has accelerated in recent years because of the national recession, and the $7.9 billion authorized in the 2013-14 budget meant only 37 percent of the general fund was earmarked for public schools."

"7. North Carolina

> Pct. chg. per pupil spending (FY08-FY15): -14.5%
> FY15 per pupil spending: $5,030 (21st highest)
> Decline in per pupil spending (FY08-FY15): $855 (6th largest)
> Adults with bachelor's degree: 28.4% (23rd highest)

North Carolina cut per pupil spending by 4.7% between the 2014 and 2015 fiscal years, the second largest decline in the nation that year. Since fiscal 2008, North Carolina has cut education spending per pupil by 14.5%."

"At least 30 states are providing less funding per student for the 2014-15 school year than they did before the recession hit. Fourteen of these states have cut per-student funding by more than 10 percent. (These figures, like all the comparisons in this paper, are in inflation-adjusted dollars and focus on the primary form of state aid to local schools.)"

Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I don't think you are in control of the facts about education spending in NC. ...
I spoke with my own words. You only supplied a bunch of web links which you certainly don't control and it isn't a substitute for a discussion of the facts. You could have at least explained why any of them are relevant to this conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina