Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 AM

26 posts, read 37,919 times

Advertisements

hi all! I currently live in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Born and raised in Miami in South Florida, but it is definitely time for a change. My boyfriend, our dog, and I are looking to move either to the Dallas/Austin areas in Texas or to the Raleigh/Durham area in North Carolina. We are both in our late 20s. Primarily I will be moving for graduate school and have found great programs in all cities. I also posted this in the Texas forums but was hoping for some North Carolina insight as well

We are very used to palm trees and beach life and year long summer down here and quite frankly we want a change. We wouldn't mind actually having a real fall and winter season. We live in suburbia right now so a change to living scenery is welcome. Ideally it would be nice to be living somewhere that I can walk out my front door/downstairs and walk to restaurants or bars. Somewhere with a nice view of the city or the mountains or anything really than just looking across the street to your neighbors houses.

I recently visited Austin and while I really did enjoy myself, I am worried the few days I spent there may have given me the wrong idea that the city just kind of felt like a really big college town almost. I visited North Carolina and Dallas several years ago and will be making visits there again soon.

Does anyone have any insight that could help? Anyone else move out of Miami? Anyone live in any of these cities an can weigh in here? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:37 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg1322 View Post
Ideally it would be nice to be living somewhere that I can walk out my front door/downstairs and walk to restaurants or bars. Somewhere with a nice view of the city or the mountains or anything really than just looking across the street to your neighbors houses.
Unless you live in downtown Durham or downtown Raleigh, you will be in suburbia. Nice views might occur in the high-rise buildings, but that comes with a price.

I really think you would enjoy Austin more, especially if you live in the district near the bars and entertainment. I suspect Dallas will be more suburbia, but with no views at all.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Unless you live in downtown Durham or downtown Raleigh, you will be in suburbia. Nice views might occur in the high-rise buildings, but that comes with a price.

I really think you would enjoy Austin more, especially if you live in the district near the bars and entertainment. I suspect Dallas will be more suburbia, but with no views at all.
thank you for the insight! I really appreciate it. I'm quite torn honestly.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:02 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
If you're moving for school, obviously you'll need to see which schools you get into, first, and then choose among those cities. What schools in NC are you applying to?

Old 12-04-2014, 04:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Pretty much what I was going to say. OTOH, Raleigh is less of a "college-town" feel if you avoid Hillsborough Street and environs.

Really you should probably plan a couple of trips to really get a feel for the different cities you're looking at. You're not going to be able to get enough info to make a life decision like that just from a message board.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you're moving for school, obviously you'll need to see which schools you get into, first, and then choose among those cities. What schools in NC are you applying to?
I'll be applying to NC State. I definitely agree that can't make any decisions until I receive notice from schools but just trying to get a feel for the areas and see what everyone who lives there has to say you know.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Pretty much what I was going to say. OTOH, Raleigh is less of a "college-town" feel if you avoid Hillsborough Street and environs.

Really you should probably plan a couple of trips to really get a feel for the different cities you're looking at. You're not going to be able to get enough info to make a life decision like that just from a message board.
I will definitely be planning a few trips everywhere before any real decisions are made. Just hoping to get some opinions on areas and what not from locals in the mean time.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg1322 View Post
I'll be applying to NC State. I definitely agree that can't make any decisions until I receive notice from schools but just trying to get a feel for the areas and see what everyone who lives there has to say you know.
You can have what you are looking for in Raleigh and still be near NC State. Given that NC State is just west of DT, you can live anywhere around Glenwood South, Glenwood/Brooklyn & Cameron Village and have both a pretty walkable area and be close enough to walk or bike to NC State. While all of the new housing in the area is pricey, there are lots of other options in the area from post war & midcentury apartments & townhouses to complexes built in the 80s. Housing is generally cheaper than SoFL because the landlord's property taxes are lower and NC has an income tax.
I live in both Miami Beach and DT Raleigh if you have any questions comparing the two places and what you might expect.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
Austin is the best option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina