Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,467 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been talking about making a move to NC when the card are lined right. Im here to get some advice on some areas. I have been doing a lot of research on areas and I have found many western areas I believe..I looked into Boone, Colombus, Brevard,waynesville, ect..

We are are from Florida.. my husband was born and raised!! We would love to have all four seasons maybe not too strong but definitly a feel for all of them instead of just heat and rain !!
we are in our late 20s with 1 child who is 2. So, a great school is a necessitiy! My husband has been working under his father for 15 years as a maintence tech (managing crews). my background is mainly office work/customer service! however, when my son was born we decided that I was staying home with him.. and since than I have been practicing and studying photography!

What we are really looking for in a home is atleast 3bedroom 2 bath.. and 1.5+acres

my husband would love to see the moutains in the back ground and have access to a lake near by so he would be able to jet ski in the summer.. but I am sure that is just a fantasy as the price for that would most likely be out of our price range!!! Speaking of we have been searching for homes about 200k or less.

Probably, sound silly.. but my biggest concern other than a great city for my child is myself getting used to the driving in NC! I have learned to drive in South FL and that is really all I ever known. So everything about NC the roads, hills, mountains and weather will be ALL SOOO EXTREMELY new and that will be taking some getting used to.. I just dont want to have a house on a huge mountian just yet My husband would thou lol

thank you for taking the time to read and share some of your thoughts….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 PM

78 posts, read 163,130 times
I am also moving from South Florida to Greenville.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight123 View Post
My husband and I have been talking about making a move to NC when the card are lined right.
we are in our late 20s with 1 child who is 2.
What we are really looking for in a home is atleast 3bedroom 2 bath.. and 1.5+acres

My husband has been working under his father for 15 years as a maintence tech (managing crews).
thank you for taking the time to read and share some of your thoughts….
It's ALL about the job.
Whatever a "maintence tech" might be... does it pay well enough?

Cost of Living Calculator | Comparison Tool
Family Budget Calculator | Economic Policy Institute
Attached Thumbnails
FL to NC…help please :)-budget.png  

Old 01-13-2015, 09:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Have you been to NC at all? If so, what areas? If you're looking chiefly at mountain areas, you should post in the Western NC forum. You say you've been doing "research" but that does not compare to coming somewhere to visit in person. Generally in Internet gives a poor representation of what a place is really like.

As mentioned, where you can get a job will be the biggest factor in where you move. Have you been applying to jobs in NC cities? Are you looking into any other states? For someone reason everyone in FL thinks NC is the default place to move to get away from FL, but there are other states, too

Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Thank you for the extra budget example

Old 02-12-2015, 06:26 PM

Thank you for the extra budget example mrrational.

Francois yes I have been to NC in person was trying to get more information from folks who's been living in NC for many years.....

If someone posted about FL I would help not say there are many other states than FL

Old 02-12-2015, 06:56 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As mentioned, where you can get a job will be the biggest factor in where you move.
I will emphasize the truth of that statement. It is nice to dream about living in 1.5 acres with a mountain view, but unless the job is identified, it is just a dream.

Frankly, Boone, Columbus and Brevard are very small job markets and Waynesville is a bit larger town. I honestly don't know what kind of maintenance technician jobs you will find in these small markets. The husband is the best judge of where his job skills are best suited, and nobody on a forum can do his job search for him.

I can only suggest broadening the job search to cities where there are a larger pool of jobs, perhaps Greensboro or the Charlotte area. Additionally, Greenville and Spartanburg, South Carolina have many manufacturing jobs. You could still be close to the mountains from South Carolina and have affordable housing.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:47 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight123 View Post
Thank you for the extra budget example mrrational.

Francois yes I have been to NC in person was trying to get more information from folks who's been living in NC for many years.....

If someone posted about FL I would help not say there are many other states than FL
Francois is 110% correct.

Maybe your husband can get a job in Boone or Asheville at a college, maybe not. Who knows, but you can describe the house you dream of until you're blue in the face, but without a job it won't happen.

Do you realize what kind of weather is in the mountains in the winter? There are Florida transplants in the mountains. Ask them on that board.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I will emphasize the truth of that statement. It is nice to dream about living in 1.5 acres with a mountain view, but unless the job is identified, it is just a dream.

Frankly, Boone, Columbus and Brevard are very small job markets and Waynesville is a bit larger town....
Boone, even excluding students, has about twice the population of Waynesville.

Populations of North Carolina (NC) Cities - ranked by Population Size

Old 02-13-2015, 07:42 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Maybe your husband can get a job in Boone or Asheville at a college, maybe not. Who knows, but you can describe the house you dream of until you're blue in the face, but without a job it won't happen.

Do you realize what kind of weather is in the mountains in the winter? There are Florida transplants in the mountains. Ask them on that board.
I am concerned that the husband has been working for his father for the last 15 years, and that is vastly different from working for other people. Perhaps he needs help in knowing how to search for jobs. One place to start is the Indeed.com website. Perhaps for his field, it helps to have a profile in LinkedIn. At very least, he needs to start identifying firms he could work for.

Since the OP asked about driving in the mountains in winter, they should know they have a learning curve. At any rate, it is better to read about "driving" in the Western North Carolina sub-forum. For example, here:
Winter weather in AVL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina