Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

I dont think there is. People here even admire Charleston, Myrtle Beach & Greenville. I do hear people pick on SC drivers and if there is a news article about SC, a lot of Tarheels act like the Palmetto state is a bumpkin backwater.

Never hear anything negative or rivalry about VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:26 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Never hear anything negative or rivalry about VA
Most likely because the major employment centers/cities/history are on the far side of VA. Most people view Va in terms of a tourist destination, not a place to do business.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL! Except for a few social wedge issues, America's political spectrum is either right or very right. In the context of this topic, there is no such thing as a leftist economic agenda. Any attempts in this direction are immediately rebuffed & discredited. i.e.
  • Occupy Wall Street Movement <- Hated by people calling themselves conservatives/red state lovers
  • Tea Party Movement <- Hated by people calling themselves liberals/blue state lovers
Yet both movements share 90% the same agenda, i.e. anti-establishment/status quo

-------------------

In regards to the Carolinas, the economies of these two states are far too intertwined to be considered rivals. It's more like this region competes against other regions. Take away the port of Charleston, Boeing, Auto Truck Manufacturing in SC then NC businesses suffer. Take away Hub Airport/Distribution center, parts suppliers, finance in NC, then SC business suffer. There is much more synergy than rivalry.
I agree with your position on the Carolinas piece but that take on the economic agendas is a joke.

Most red state lovers depend much more on the gubment (rural dominated areas) to survive no matter how much they clamor to their beloved patriotism platform and anti-gubment talk. At the core are social values with the religious right that serve as hallmark of likeness for most of these people. Blue states pay the majority of fed gubment taxes and red states are the "takers". Red state lovers buy-in to this mythical past of free market capitalism delivering economic balance with the trickle-down effect bolstering wealth....which is a farce and every bit a con as the Wall Street cronies that promoted and sold the sub-prime loan model to the righties in congress....and yes, a lot of the dems signed on as well.

Lefties understand that the American economy is primarily driven by the government topped off with a nice layer of capitalism. The top tier righties keep selling the notion of a free market economy to those poor soles who believe these snake oil salesman. While they milk the fed cow for every dime, these poor soles refuse to "take" government handouts. If not for fed gubment subsidies that support gas, airlines, etc industries. the so-called middle class could only afford travel via Greyhound and eat out at McDs. The Department of Defense alone drives and sustains many industries of the Dow Jones...research, manufacturing, etc. The lunacy that the average farmer could exist without fed gubment subsidies is a joke....if so, remove those subsidies and handouts and watch rural America dry up and wrinkle like a plum.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:34 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I would agree about NC and GA. Don't see one with SC as NC is much larger and ahead of them on pretty much all aspects other than COL. VA is behind as well outside of NoVa.
SC might be ahead on the leisure tourism front as well, and in certain sectors like manufacturing, SC is competitive with NC. And VA is on par or ahead of NC on most fronts (NOVA is very much a part of the state).

Old 01-17-2015, 02:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I agree with your position on the Carolinas piece but that take on the economic agendas is a joke. .....
Well start a topic somewhere if you want a discussion. I stopped reading it at joke. It's off topic in this thread.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:36 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
I don't think a rivalry exists between the states. However, people in more rural areas of SC view NC as more progressive, liberal, etc.

NC seems to fit more with VA and MD, while SC seems to fit better with the deep south.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:22 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I don't think a rivalry exists between the states. However, people in more rural areas of SC view NC as more progressive, liberal, etc.
A lot of people from urban SC think the same.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:56 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post

NC seems to fit more with VA and MD, while SC seems to fit better with the deep south.
Maybe most have different views, but I feel like Maryland is too northern to be grouped in with North Carolina. Plenty of similarities between Virginia and North Carolina, though. Baltimore feels very foreign to me coming from Raleigh, even though it's actually closer than Atlanta. Again, just feels a little too northern (like Philly).

South Carolina and Georgia are definitely Deep South, but they're not too different from North Carolina. Plenty of people here on CD constantly compare North Carolina to Georgia, and I can't disagree. I've visited multiple times and had many "Ah! This reminds me of NC!" moments, definitely on my last trip to Georgia when I visited Augusta. The whole Atlanta metro isn't drastically different from Charlotte and the Research Triangle, too. In South Carolina, Columbia basically reminds me of a Deep South version of Raleigh minus RTP.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
As a long time North Carolinian once told me while I was living down there in the 1990s in the Piedmont "South Carolina got all of the "n*****s and we got all of the damned Yankees". My wife, who travelled to Charleston, S.C. while we were living in the south told me that the locals there did NOT have a high opinion of N.C. Yes, as they say "Lee surrendered, we didn't".

Old 01-18-2015, 07:54 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Virginia just caved on Kerr Lake, they are backing off the Virginia version, Buggs Island Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina