Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Well start a topic somewhere if you want a discussion. I stopped reading it at joke. It's off topic in this thread.
It is so practice what you preach...stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:58 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Maybe most have different views, but I feel like Maryland is too northern to be grouped in with North Carolina. Plenty of similarities between Virginia and North Carolina, though. Baltimore feels very foreign to me coming from Raleigh, even though it's actually closer than Atlanta. Again, just feels a little too northern (like Philly).

South Carolina and Georgia are definitely Deep South, but they're not too different from North Carolina. Plenty of people here on CD constantly compare North Carolina to Georgia, and I can't disagree. I've visited multiple times and had many "Ah! This reminds me of NC!" moments, definitely on my last trip to Georgia when I visited Augusta. The whole Atlanta metro isn't drastically different from Charlotte and the Research Triangle, too. In South Carolina, Columbia basically reminds me of a Deep South version of Raleigh minus RTP.
Most of the similarities exist near the state borders; upstate and low country SC are different to a degree, so is Northeastern NC and Charlotte, as well is Tidewater and Northern VA.

I have stated this before, NC is southern with mid-atlantic tendencies due to geographical proximity. Although Maryland isn't culturally considered a southern state, the NC-VA-DC-MD (some SC) connection is obvious. The original members of the Atlantic Coast Conference were SC, Clemson (NC schools), VA and MD...primarily south atlantic states + MD. The urban areas of the Megalopolis (DC, Baltimore) are certainly more northern in culture.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
....My wife, who travelled to Charleston, S.C. while we were living in the south told me that the locals there did NOT have a high opinion of N.C. Yes, as they say "Lee surrendered, we didn't".
LOL. Reminds me of the old SC saying. "anything north of the border (SC) is a yankee, anything north of the NC is a damned yankee...."

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

135 posts, read 162,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL. Reminds me of the old SC saying. "anything north of the border (SC) is a yankee, anything north of the NC is a damned yankee...."
I had someone (from AL) suggest to me that I was a Yankee because I was from VA...long story short he had driven up 95 once and thought South of the Border marked the Mason-Dixon line...

Old 01-20-2015, 03:50 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
I had someone (from AL) suggest to me that I was a Yankee because I was from VA...long story short he had driven up 95 once and thought South of the Border marked the Mason-Dixon line...
If Lumberton, NC is Yankee, then Jackson, MS might as well be NYC haha!

I'm sure that same person called NC and VA "Yankee" but turned around and called Tennessee "southern" SMH

Old 01-20-2015, 05:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,736 times
I do think there is some rivalry between NC and VA, to some extent. Both states are trying to pull in relocating northerners and midwesterners and expand their economies. Comparisons between Raleigh, Charlotte, Richmond, NOVA seem to spring up quite a lot on City-Data.

Virginians tend to be very loud and proud and determined to prove their state or city is better whenever such comparisons erupt. So, maybe to them there's a rivalry.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I do think there is some rivalry between NC and VA, to some extent. Both states are trying to pull in relocating northerners and midwesterners and expand their economies. Comparisons between Raleigh, Charlotte, Richmond, NOVA seem to spring up quite a lot on City-Data.

Virginians tend to be very loud and proud and determined to prove their state or city is better whenever such comparisons erupt. So, maybe to them there's a rivalry.
Some Virginians think they're so superior to NC, they think we're so much more southern, redneck-ish, hick, un-progressive, etc. Actually, some VA Generals during the Civil War thought the same regarding NC Generals! Also, it wouldn't be fair to point out the fact that some NC folks look down on SC for the same reasons.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,736 times
Something about a vale of humility and mountains of conceit... still holds true today.

I don't feel too terribly sorry for South Carolinians. They seem to have the world convinced they have better beaches than us somehow and they get millions of tourist dollars for it... perhaps we should've tooted our own horn a bit more.

On the other hand Wrightsville is busy enough as it is. Maybe we lucked out!

Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Something about a vale of humility and mountains of conceit... still holds true today.

I don't feel too terribly sorry for South Carolinians. They seem to have the world convinced they have better beaches than us somehow and they get millions of tourist dollars for it... perhaps we should've tooted our own horn a bit more.

On the other hand Wrightsville is busy enough as it is. Maybe we lucked out!
They can keep Myrtle! And we can keep the Outer Banks, fine with me. I do agree, though. There has to be a competition between the coasts for both states. I can't lie, Charleston and the Lowcountry are very nice, same with Pawleys Island. Our beaches are fine, too.

As for a rivalry between NC and VA, the UNC/UVA football rivalry is actually known as "The Oldest Rivalry in the South." Seems like there's definitely a rivalry between UVA and UNC/Duke/NC State for basketball at the moment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina