Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 05:58 PM

82 posts, read 460,285 times

Advertisements

I have lived all over the USA (WA, NM, UT, FL, NY, HI, AK), traveled through the entire country - among living overseas. I can live anywhere, but am staying in the continental USA at the moment. I haven't lived in NC, but found the people friendly in passing through. When you can live anywhere - it makes the choice more difficult, so throwing a dart on the map is about right - therefore, I am looking at those choices on my posting, as some criteria to narrow it down. The job factor is more so for my teens, I can work/travel anywhere with my work, so its a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
The job factor is more so for my teens, I can work/travel anywhere with my work, so its a non-issue.
Then, I think you should scratch Kill Devil Hills and Pinehurst off your list. Kill Devil Hills will offer seasonal jobs, but probably not much full time work.

Pinehurst is mainly a retirement and golf resort location. Unless your kids want careers as golf caddies, I think they would be bored to tears.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
I have lived all over the USA (WA, NM, UT, FL, NY, HI, AK), traveled through the entire country - among living overseas. I can live anywhere, but am staying in the continental USA at the moment. I haven't lived in NC, but found the people friendly in passing through. When you can live anywhere - it makes the choice more difficult, so throwing a dart on the map is about right - therefore, I am looking at those choices on my posting, as some criteria to narrow it down. The job factor is more so for my teens, I can work/travel anywhere with my work, so its a non-issue.
If you need proximity to an airport then check flight availability. That should give you the answer.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

The unemployment Po-lice if you don't mind.
I get it.... I just find it funny how serious it's taken here by some - like there's money coming directly out of your pocket if you let a post about choosing a town slip through without confirming where and what job they have. lol

I'm going out on a limb here and make the bold statement that this OP isn't coming to suck the NC teet.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:37 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Check out the Davidson area. It gives me the feeling of Princeton NJ. Near Lake Norman and close to mountains.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm going out on a limb here and make the bold statement
that this OP isn't coming to suck the NC teat.
Let's hope so.

The warnings are generally about the lowest end of the employment pool ...but not exclusively.
There are more than enough in the next levels up, already in NC, who need more/better jobs too.
Neither group needs the competition.

otoh, when a new arrival is bringing a needed skill for a job that is going unfilled? Yay.
This doesn't happen all that much.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:56 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
otoh, when a new arrival is bringing a needed skill for a job that is going unfilled? Yay.
This doesn't happen all that much.
Well, in this case, she says she's working from home, so either she runs her own business or works from somewhere remote. Though I am usually one of the first to pounce on the "make sure you have a job first" (for similar reasons to you, I suspect), in this case, she does not seem to be among the pool of competitors for NC open jobs. Though her kids would, I guess, be competing with already-here teens for whatever jobs that age group is doing nowadays.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:43 PM

135 posts, read 162,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Then, I think you should scratch Kill Devil Hills and Pinehurst off your list. Kill Devil Hills will offer seasonal jobs, but probably not much full time work.

Pinehurst is mainly a retirement and golf resort location. Unless your kids want careers as golf caddies, I think they would be bored to tears.
Just a thought that KDH might be actually be a VERY good choice for teen jobs since I've known many teens who worked less (or not at all) during the school year.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
Just a thought that KDH might be actually be a VERY good choice for teen jobs since I've known many teens who worked less (or not at all) during the school year.
Do the Dare County schools qualify as "great"? Would you want to be stuck out on the OBX all winter with 2 teenagers? I wouldn't, lol.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:51 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Do the Dare County schools qualify as "great"? Would you want to be stuck out on the OBX all winter with 2 teenagers? I wouldn't, lol.
Actually, Dare County ranks very well: many 4 out of 5 schools at Schooldigger. They have a lot of tax money to spend on very few students.

However, I couldn't stand living on the OBX full-time. It is too cold in the winter, too isolated, too few amenities, etc. I couldn't recommend it to anybody, but some people really do like living there full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina