U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 04:46 PM

36 posts, read 119,299 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hoping to relocate in a year or so from NJ. We visited Hickory in November and were very impressed. We have two children, older 17 and 20, and this is a BIG step for us. We have talked about it for years and I think we are actually ready. I looked up statistical info on this site and found alot of crime and sex offenders in the area. That has me frightened! Also reading these posts makes it seem very difficult to find work in the area. My husband runs an auto body shop here and will be looking for work in that field or as an adjuster for auto insurance. We looked at the Deerfield development which seemed very new. It was close to a mall and alot of car dealerships. The development had nice homes and land with each house, which is exactly what we are looking for. Some of the homes were pricey though! We stayed in Morganton and spent most of our days looking in that area. Did not find anything that we were interested in. Homes were close together and did not have land. Job market seemed little to none. Also, my daughter is looking for a christian college somewhere in the NC/Tennessee area. Someone on this site mentioned Granite Falls as a great place to live. I will do some research on that area next. Any help on our search for relocating in Hickory or nearby vicinity, advice on the crime rate, and christian colleges would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt2nc View Post
My husband and I are hoping to relocate in a year or so from NJ. We visited Hickory in November and were very impressed. We have two children, older 17 and 20, and this is a BIG step for us. We have talked about it for years and I think we are actually ready. I looked up statistical info on this site and found alot of crime and sex offenders in the area. That has me frightened! Also reading these posts makes it seem very difficult to find work in the area. My husband runs an auto body shop here and will be looking for work in that field or as an adjuster for auto insurance. We looked at the Deerfield development which seemed very new. It was close to a mall and alot of car dealerships. The development had nice homes and land with each house, which is exactly what we are looking for. Some of the homes were pricey though! We stayed in Morganton and spent most of our days looking in that area. Did not find anything that we were interested in. Homes were close together and did not have land. Job market seemed little to none. Also, my daughter is looking for a christian college somewhere in the NC/Tennessee area. Someone on this site mentioned Granite Falls as a great place to live. I will do some research on that area next. Any help on our search for relocating in Hickory or nearby vicinity, advice on the crime rate, and christian colleges would be greatly appreciated!!!
Here is a link to Lenoir-Rhyne Christian College in Hickory:
ttp://www.lrc.edu/

I live in the southeastern part of NC, in Sampson County, so I only know what I know about Hickory because we have vacationed in that area.

My personal advice to you would be to take a week off and visit the areas you think you would like to relocate to. North Carolina is a big state and goes from mountains in the west to the beaches on the eastern coastline.

There is a sub forum for Asheville ands the mountains in the NC Forum.

Good luck to you and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 AM

1,111 posts, read 3,230,108 times
Check out the Grace Chapel area in southern Caldwell County. It has a Hickory address yet it is in Caldwell county with lower taxes and lower housing prices.
Another nice thing about the area you are looking at is the weather. I defy you to find a better year around pattern. Never snows but if you need a fix you can drive 35 miles and go skiing. Locals will whine about the summer heat but they have never experienced a hot sticky humid summer in Jersey.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 PM

36 posts, read 119,299 times
Thank you for the advice. We visited NC in November, staying in Morganton. We looked all over the Morganton area and up to Lenoir & Hickory, then we also went into Asheville and Lake Lure. We planned to go to Columbus in Polk County, but as we were driving, there didn't seem to be enough around and the signs for Lake Lure had us change plans. We are looking forward to a change in the weather! You said it when talking about hot sticky humid summers and the older I get, the more I want to get away from it. We have vacationed in NC, SC & Tenn. in the summer. Tennessee is a bit too hot, but I am hoping closer to the mountains of NC will be a bit better. I will check out Lenoir Rhyne and Grace Chapel. Thanks again!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,273 times
I live in Pensacola and my Dad currently lives in Sarasota and is wanting to relocate to the Morganton, Lenoir or Hickory area. I am trying to locate what info I can for him. Would be interested in Independant Living Facility or Retirement Community. I have already spent a couple hours trying to locate without a lot of success, but found this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina