U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 09:48 AM

242 posts, read 311,818 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to NC...have been told that WS and further west gets some snow...? Like the 4 seasons but not the extremes...also how is the humidity in this area...any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM

5,265 posts, read 10,551,971 times
WS and further? More like Raleigh and further west. Really the whole state with the exception of the Coastal areas usually gets at least some decent snowfall every year.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:45 AM

787 posts, read 2,492,111 times
The immediate east doesn't get snow every year and by that I mean enough to cover the ground. We do have a tendency to get ice storms more than actual snow however. The snow seems to go in cycles at least in the east. We had a season here where it snowed every other week once. Then for a couple years, virtually nothing. Most of the time when it does happen, it is after the first of year. I think the last white Christmas might have been 1989 but don't quote me on that. And I am not totally sure the snow was actually on the ground Christmas Day.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:04 PM

505 posts, read 1,659,793 times
Yeah, christmas of 1989! Wow was that some christmas!

In New Bern, we had 15 inches on the ground, temp was -4!

Wilmington had 20 inches on the ground

the Cape had 2 feet on the ground

that was some christmas!

Inland areas, around Wilson and Goldsboro, only had snow on the ground in shady areas...a couple inches.

And don't forget about the icy christmas of 99! Some areas across Wilson, Johnston, and wake counties did not have power!

I'm pretty sure snow Hill had a good bit of ice that christmas too, because I remember driving through there...at least it was covering the trees I remember.

also in 99, areas from southern wake co, down to Lee co, had snow on christmas day. The 4 day long ice storm changed to snow on christmas day before it ended. Dropping about 2-3 inches of snow.

Snow occurs every year from the coast to the mountains. I lived in New Bern for 16 years. We had at least 1 inch of snow every year I lived there.

The mountains get way more snow though.

And don't forget about the day after christmas a couple years ago. Areas east of I-95 got 6-8 inches of snow

Old 11-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Let it snow...

Hey thanks for the comments...so sounds like anything in northern NC not to close to the coast has a chance of flurries...now what about the humidity? We lived in upper Virginia about 40 miles from West Virginia...the humidity was awful and the bugs the same...is it reasonable to assume the humidity is just as high in WS area? Thanks

Old 11-05-2006, 05:02 PM

505 posts, read 1,659,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Hey thanks for the comments...so sounds like anything in northern NC not to close to the coast has a chance of flurries...now what about the humidity? We lived in upper Virginia about 40 miles from West Virginia...the humidity was awful and the bugs the same...is it reasonable to assume the humidity is just as high in WS area? Thanks

No, anywhere in NC sees snow. more than flurries

Humidity is terrible, no matter where you are at. Probably a bit worse along the coast though.

If you lived in upper va, you will see just as much snow in the NC mountains, much less the lower in elv. you go. The humidity will be the same around Winston-Salem west.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:23 PM

157 posts, read 737,338 times
How is the humidity compared to Florida's west coast, anyone?

Old 11-05-2006, 05:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,368,130 times
Winter-type precipitation usually occurs with southerly through easterly winds, and is seldom associated with very cold weather. Snow and sleet occur on an average once or twice a year near the coast, and not much more often over the southeastern half of the State. Such occurrences are nearly always connected with northeasterly winds, generated when a high pressure system over the interior, or northeastern United States, causes a southward flow of cold dry air down the coastline, while offshore a low pressure system brings in warmer, moist air from the North Atlantic. Farther inland, over the Mountains and western Piedmont, frozen precipitation sometimes occurs in connection with low pressure storms, and in the extreme west with cold front passages from the northwest. Average winter snowfall over the State ranges from about inch per year on the outer banks and along the lower coast to about 10 inches in the northern Piedmont and 16 inches in the southern Mountains. Some of the higher mountain peaks and upper slopes receive an average of nearly 50 inches a year.

The average relative humidity does not vary greatly from season to season but is generally the highest in winter and lowest in spring. The lowest relative humidities are found over the southern Piedmont, where the year around average is about 65 percent. The highest are along the immediate coast, averaging around 75 percent. The least amount of actual moisture is found in the higher mountain areas, but the lower temperatures there result in relative humidities that are about the same as elsewhere in the State.

National Weather Service

Old 11-05-2006, 05:44 PM

45,168 posts, read 57,238,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
How is the humidity compared to Florida's west coast, anyone?
I think much better. But I grew up in Louisiana so the humidity in NC is NOTHING for me Even after all my years living here I still don't see what people are complaining about with the humidity here. Many times it is only at 60% and that's not even close to Florida

Old 11-05-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Let it snow...

Ok...now where do the mountains start? Is WS at a higher elevation? Do RE prices go up the higher your are on the mountain? We experienced 80-90+ humidity were we used to live...starting in spring and the bugs were relentless...lots of vegetation and moisture...I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina