U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 5,325,731 times
Reputation: 3448

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacielynn32 View Post
Ok, so I will be the first one on this forum to ask what the best area is to live at in NC with a family? My family and I live in Miami and we would like to relocate to North Carolina to give our kids a better way of life and allow for all of us to live a better life. We would probably start off renting something, and then eventually buying something, but we would just need to get settled first and then go from there. So, here are my requirements of what were looking for:

1.I have two boys ages 14 and 6 and we would like to be close to some great public schools.
2.We want to live in a nice family oriented neighborhood, that is safe for the kids to be outside and ride their bikes, etc.
3.We are open to living anywhere where there is a small town feel, small city excitement, or the suburbs.
4. It would also be great to be somewhere where there is a pool available, and close to the supermarket and shopping.

Since we are still in the process of trying to figure out where it is that we want to be, my husband and I are not really sure where we would be working. I would be looking for something as an Administrative Assistant and my husband is a boat captain, but possibly might consider changing fields to something else. Not to sure yet.
Anyway, any knowledge of some great areas is greatly appreciated along with all of my other requests. So thank you to all who may help us out. Have a great day!

By the way, we are planning on taking a trip up into the Chapel Hill area next month, so any comments about that area or the surrounding areas would be very helpful to us. Thank you again.
You really need to post this as a separate post on the main board as very few people are going to find it here.

Here's a list of the top 10 best cities in NC for young families, compiled by a San Francisco based website called NerdWallet:

1. Waxhaw
2. Marvin
3. Holly Springs
4. Stallings
5. Indian Trail
6. Mooresville
7. Apex
8. Stokesdale
9. Morrisville
10. Etowah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 PM
 
Location: River's Edge Inn, Todd NC, and Lorgues France
1,603 posts, read 2,098,367 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You really need to post this as a separate post on the main board as very few people are going to find it here.

Here's a list of the top 10 best cities in NC for young families, compiled by a San Francisco based website called NerdWallet:

1. Waxhaw
2. Marvin
3. Holly Springs
4. Stallings
5. Indian Trail
6. Mooresville
7. Apex
8. Stokesdale
9. Morrisville
10. Etowah
I just glanced at the website and it contains many incorrect statements.
For example,

"The town’s exceptional school system, which received a perfect 10 at GreatSchools"

This would lead the uninformed to believe that Morrisville has it's own school system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 5,325,731 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I just glanced at the website and it contains many incorrect statements.
For example,

"The town’s exceptional school system, which received a perfect 10 at GreatSchools"

This would lead the uninformed to believe that Morrisville has it's own school system.
As with all things, caveat emptor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 PM
 
5 posts, read 10,523 times
Reputation: 15
Hello I been thinking about relocating to raleigh nc I'm coming from Detroit Mi I'm a certified welder I have a son who is 7 just want to knw how is the job market for welders in Raleigh and my girlfriend is In the medical field I'm not looking to buy a house right off back but would like to rent for a while just to get a feel for the city if anybody could help thanks oh and I'm 28 and she 27
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 AM
 
108 posts, read 191,858 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauveir08 View Post
Hello I been thinking about relocating to raleigh nc I'm coming from Detroit Mi I'm a certified welder I have a son who is 7 just want to knw how is the job market for welders in Raleigh and my girlfriend is In the medical field I'm not looking to buy a house right off back but would like to rent for a while just to get a feel for the city if anybody could help thanks oh and I'm 28 and she 27

Hi,

It would probably be best to pose questions as a new thread. In the NC or Raleigh section. I'm not sure many of the locals keep an eye out on this board. Best of luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2015, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Charlestom,SC
4 posts, read 10,399 times
Reputation: 15
Hello Im looking to relocate from Charleston SC to Charlotte NC with my job i have 2kids a 4year old and 6month old i was wondering if there i have an eviction from SC would that hinder me from getting an apartment in NC?

Thanks for the help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
12,585 posts, read 22,437,679 times
Reputation: 19388
There's a Charlotte forum - I'm sure you're aware that to rent ANYWHERE, doesn't matter which city/town, you need good income and credit history.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2015, 11:21 AM
 
3 posts, read 9,009 times
Reputation: 15
Default Retire to NC

Hi, We are from downstate N.Y., are around 70, both retired, want peace and quiet, privacy created by position and trees but not isolated, children's schools not relevant, availability of good medical care, low, low crime area, don't need recreational water or golf, but definitely want a private shooting club to join. Have up to $250K to spend on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with 2 car garage (for wood shop), with low property taxes (less than $2K). Good restaurants, good food shopping, but having lived 30 miles north of NYC and not having been in a museum in 20 years cultural life is not that important. Culture, on the other hand, is important. We are non-practicing Jews and judge people on how they behave not on color or religion. We would not be happy in a community that had a chapter of the KKK and we think that community would probably not be happy with us. We don't want to go where we are not wanted. So is there a place for us in North Carolina that is not in one of its large cities? Thanks. dfg789qwse jnwjnw1992@gmail.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,898 posts, read 21,822,253 times
Reputation: 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1943 View Post
Have up to $250K to spend on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with 2 car garage (for wood shop), with low property taxes (less than $2K).....We are non-practicing Jews and judge people on how they behave not on color or religion. We would not be happy in a community that had a chapter of the KKK and we think that community would probably not be happy with us. We don't want to go where we are not wanted. So is there a place for us in North Carolina that is not in one of its large cities?
I suggest a coastal North Carolina town where there are plenty of transplants. Your budget is a bit low for one of the "plantations", but there are many less expensive houses in Southport, Hampstead, Surf City, Morehead City, etc.

FYI, we are retired in Sneads Ferry, and pay about $1900 in property taxes. We have hurricane coverage in our homeowner's insurance about $2300. However, if you want to avoid the hurricane coverage, find a small town west of I-95. The Sandhills area around Pinehurst is one example that attracts retirees. Western North Carolina has towns like Hendersonville which are attractive to retirees, and within your budget.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2015, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 5,325,731 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1943 View Post
Hi, We are from downstate N.Y., are around 70, both retired, want peace and quiet, privacy created by position and trees but not isolated, children's schools not relevant, availability of good medical care, low, low crime area, don't need recreational water or golf, but definitely want a private shooting club to join. Have up to $250K to spend on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with 2 car garage (for wood shop), with low property taxes (less than $2K). Good restaurants, good food shopping, but having lived 30 miles north of NYC and not having been in a museum in 20 years cultural life is not that important. Culture, on the other hand, is important. We are non-practicing Jews and judge people on how they behave not on color or religion. We would not be happy in a community that had a chapter of the KKK and we think that community would probably not be happy with us. We don't want to go where we are not wanted. So is there a place for us in North Carolina that is not in one of its large cities? Thanks. dfg789qwse jnwjnw1992@gmail.com
I'd suggest you repost this on either the NC board, or on any of the NC regional boards that interest you, as this particular thread isn't widely read.

As goldenage said, I would recommend you look at the Wilmington and Brunswick County area if you interested in a coastal area, or the Asheville are if you're interested in the mountains. Many, many retirees from the NE in both places. Lots of threads on these areas that can accessed by using the search feature.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top