U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:55 PM

4,639 posts, read 5,367,321 times

Advertisements

Look at Asheville, Hendersonville and Boone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 07:49 PM

12,612 posts, read 22,593,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc120 View Post
HELLO, my future husband and I are looking into moving to NC from NY.

Early 30's, no kids yet, housing between $150k-$200k, looking into the mountain region, has a bit of nightlife, good restaurants.

Future husband is currently a volunteer Firefighter since they dont pay them on Long Island, looking to get a paying Fire fighter job.

If you can let us know the best towns, it'd be much appreciated.

Thank you.
You obviously haven't read any of this and/or any other threads.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:33 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,863,621 times
Seriously! we simply cannot do all their homework for them.

Lord knows we try; and a high percentage of the time we never hear from them again.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 PM

12,612 posts, read 22,593,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Seriously! we simply cannot do all their homework for them.

Lord knows we try; and a high percentage of the time we never hear from them again.
Isn't that the truth!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,784,059 times
For those debating between two cities, city data implemented a comparison tool a couple months ago.

Users can compare two NC cities or compare a NC city to any other city in the US
This will give data about how each area ranks towards the other.

Type the name over the given cities then click compare, then a slew of information including graphs will appear.
Compare two Cities

Old 09-25-2015, 07:49 PM

36 posts, read 93,590 times
Thumbs up Also thinking of moving to North Carolina...

Ok I hope I am doing this correctly. I am a Social Worker by trade and may want to just transfer to a VA if possible. I have no idea about housing. I would love to own another home but probably looking at a condo. My kids are grown so not worried about schools. We would love to live within an hour or so of a beach. I am looking for a friendly community - smaller about 100,000 or so. I am more concerned about taxes - property taxes , taxes on pension and Social Security income. Shopping, grocery stores - it would be nice to live around them. Commute - I just want to avoid 6 lanes of traffic if at all possible.
I know this isn't the forum but our other destination would be Tampa FL. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxer View Post
Ok I hope I am doing this correctly. I am a Social Worker by trade and may want to just transfer to a VA if possible. I have no idea about housing. I would love to own another home but probably looking at a condo. My kids are grown so not worried about schools. We would love to live within an hour or so of a beach. I am looking for a friendly community - smaller about 100,000 or so. I am more concerned about taxes - property taxes , taxes on pension and Social Security income. Shopping, grocery stores - it would be nice to live around them. Commute - I just want to avoid 6 lanes of traffic if at all possible.
I know this isn't the forum but our other destination would be Tampa FL. Thanks!
Wilmington has a VA facility and is on the coast.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,861 times
Default Movin' on

My husband and I are both retired and thinking of moving to North Carolina. The problem is where.

Here is what we are looking for:
An area somewhat near a larger city with hospital and airport.
Small town or city.
We are outdoor nature lovers, kayaking, walking,birding, photography
Near water be it inlet, creeks, rivers,lake,pond
Either mountains or coast.
House with some land.
New construction with 3-4 bedrooms, garage.
Mostly on one floor.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Movin'

Old 01-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie' on View Post
My husband and I are both retired and thinking of moving to North Carolina. The problem is where.

Here is what we are looking for:
An area somewhat near a larger city with hospital and airport.
Small town or city.
We are outdoor nature lovers, kayaking, walking,birding, photography
Near water be it inlet, creeks, rivers,lake,pond
Either mountains or coast.
House with some land.
New construction with 3-4 bedrooms, garage.
Mostly on one floor.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Movin'
You are basically describing Asheville (in the mountains) and Wilmington (on the coast). I'd suggest you go to the Western NC and Coastal NC forums and search the many existing threads for further information there, as well as asking follow-up questions in those forums.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,092 times
Hi all I just accepted a job in Mooresville, NC. I am relocating from the Philadelphia area. I have two high school teens that are currently enrolled in the 9th rank public high school in PA and my wife's and educator. After doing several weeks of research for schools, my wife decided that Audrey Kell High was probably the best school in the area. The problem is the housing would be about a 45 min. commute to work for me.

While 45 min isn't terrible, I was hoping to reduce my commute times to under 30 minutes (i've done 45 minute commute for 20 years). Are how are the high schools in Mooresville in relation to Audrey Kell High?

If I can't find a suitable alternative to Audrey Kell High I'm considering renting for 3 years (kids graduate), then purchasing a home where school taxes aren't too high. But if I could fine a nice home close to the office, with a great high school.

The kids are very athletic so competitive school sports is a must. Some of the things I look for in a community is availability. I like the night life, but not the club scene. Just like to get out and relax my mind at night and bite to eat or a drink late at night. Where big outdoor people, mountain biking, hiking, some hunting and fishing, but we don't mind the city noise. We also ride motorcycles so having access to good roads is a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina