U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 06:03 AM

35 posts, read 143,741 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm thinking about moving in the next couple of years from Westchester County, NY and am thinking about NC and Arizona. I'm 40, widowed, and have two young girls, 4 and 6.

I was injured at work, so will be retired. Budget would be around $350-$400K. I would be sending my kids to public school, so good schools are at the top of the list. I like the small town, suburban feel. My brother is also thinking about moving and was looking at Apex. From what I've seen, it looks really nice. Also, I'd like it to be reasonably close (10 minutes) to shopping centers. High speed internet is also important, but I think most places have it by now. Saw that Apex just missed out on Google Fiber.

I'd be leaving NY for two reasons. It's too damn expensive (property taxes over $11K a year) and I'm tired of long winters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in North Carolina. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you

We on the North Carolina forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

(Saw this on the Virginia Forum posted by SmerkyGrl- Thought we needed it too!)
I'm going to retire and I was googling cheapest places to retire and Thomasville NC came up. I found a couple of apartment complexes (Kingston Ridge, Salem Point). The rents for these apartments are within my budget. What I would like to know is are these apartments in decent neighborhoods. I currently live in Maryland and it is way too expensive here. I'm not working so the commute is not an issue. I have no kids so schools are not important. I like a small town feeling. I also would like to know if there are good medical facilities in Thomasville. Crime rate information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:09 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,872,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
I'm going to retire and I was googling cheapest places to retire and Thomasville NC came up. I found a couple of apartment complexes (Kingston Ridge, Salem Point). The rents for these apartments are within my budget. What I would like to know is are these apartments in decent neighborhoods. I currently live in Maryland and it is way too expensive here. I'm not working so the commute is not an issue. I have no kids so schools are not important. I like a small town feeling. I also would like to know if there are good medical facilities in Thomasville. Crime rate information would be helpful.

Thank you.

a. You have not stated your budget. NC is a huge state and you have chosen a general forum. Certainly Thomasville is not the only town in the state that you would find affordable. The 'cheapest' may not be suitable, other than being cheap.

b. It would be more helpful to you if you would find out what the largest city is near Thomasville and post your question(s) on that forum. You can easily find this on Google Maps.

c. You will get more replies that way. Best wishes.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
a. You have not stated your budget. NC is a huge state and you have chosen a general forum. Certainly Thomasville is not the only town in the state that you would find affordable. The 'cheapest' may not be suitable, other than being cheap.

b. It would be more helpful to you if you would find out what the largest city is near Thomasville and post your question(s) on that forum. You can easily find this on Google Maps.

c. You will get more replies that way. Best wishes.
Thank you.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:49 AM

7 posts, read 9,000 times
Hello!

My fiance and I currently live in Sarasota, FL and are native Floridians. We are looking to move to North Carolina in April of 2017. I would love some feedback of some good towns/cities to look into.

-I currently am in customer service and seeking to look at an Apartment community, leasing Agent for a career. My fiance is a welder and that would be our priority for a career for him.
-We would like to rent a house and spend between $750-$1,000 a month
-We would be willing to commute up to 45 mins away
-We do not have kids, just a small dog and a cat, need pet friendly
-I would love a small town feel near a big city. I prefer mountains and hills but my fiance would like to be near the coast.
-Close to shopping, places to eat, outdoor actives and friendly community. We will not know anyone in North Carolina.

Thank you for your help!!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 9,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauveir08 View Post
Hello I been thinking about relocating to raleigh nc I'm coming from Detroit Mi I'm a certified welder I have a son who is 7 just want to knw how is the job market for welders in Raleigh and my girlfriend is In the medical field I'm not looking to buy a house right off back but would like to rent for a while just to get a feel for the city if anybody could help thanks oh and I'm 28 and she 27

Hi, I was wondering if you ever moved to NC? My fiance is a welder as well and we are looking to relocate there. Was wondering if you had any good feedback.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:48 PM

11 posts, read 13,795 times
Default Moving to the Fayetteville NC

My husband & I are moving to the Fayetteville area and would like some suggestion of good areas to purchase a home.
i will be working @ the VA medical center on Ramsey St
Max commute time 45 mins.
We are looking for a small house 2br/1.5+ba, 1500 Sq Ft max. on about 1/4 or so acres. i don't want my neighbors home 10ft from mine anymore. but don't want to live a rural area with no neighbors.
Our kids are grown but I want a good school rating, (7,8,9) for resale value.
I prefer not to deal with HOA.
I'm looking for a lot with a small budget. $140k or less.
i did see some nice home west of strickland bridge road.
we plan to visit mid June. Your advice will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in North Carolina. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you

We on the North Carolina forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

(Saw this on the Virginia Forum posted by SmerkyGrl- Thought we needed it too!)

Old 05-31-2016, 05:52 PM

4,077 posts, read 7,337,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecrazykitties View Post
My husband & I are moving to the Fayetteville area and would like some suggestion of good areas to purchase a home.
i will be working @ the VA medical center on Ramsey St
Max commute time 45 mins.
We are looking for a small house 2br/1.5+ba, 1500 Sq Ft max. on about 1/4 or so acres. i don't want my neighbors home 10ft from mine anymore. but don't want to live a rural area with no neighbors.
Our kids are grown but I want a good school rating, (7,8,9) for resale value.
I prefer not to deal with HOA.
I'm looking for a lot with a small budget. $140k or less.
i did see some nice home west of strickland bridge road.
we plan to visit mid June. Your advice will be appreciated.
Thanks!
This thread is meant primarily to provide posting advice, not to conduct specific search inquiry discussions. You might find it more productive to start your own new thread in the general NC forum.

And as a heads up, you'll probably get some un-asked for advice not to move to Fayetteville. Since you already have a job there, just ignore the nay-sayers.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:50 PM

11 posts, read 13,795 times
thanks
i'm new at this

Old 07-05-2016, 10:46 AM

6,753 posts, read 2,943,087 times
I would like to add friendly advise to all those that come here and ask "Should I move to ______________ (fill in the blank)"?

First, I understand that a moving is a major undertaking, especially if it is long distance from another state and may very well be life changing. I realize you are excited, nervous, maybe a bit scared and you want to make the best choice possible.

Next, this kind of move is a very personal decision and what drives people is as different as the individual. Maybe you have a new job, maybe you are looking to retire, maybe you just want to be near the ocean or in the mountains. Maybe you you just want a fresh start, maybe a lot of things. What is important to you in this decision is unique to you. Maybe its recreational activities, maybe its schools for your children, maybe its a specific religious or ethnic community.

Because of all the variables, pretty much no one can tell you if _______________ (fill in the blank) is the right place for you.

In part, that is why City Data is here. You can look at any state and pretty much any city within that state. For each city there are demographics on population, churches, schools, school rankings, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, growth, and more.

If it is not on City Data, you can pretty much find out the address of every church and restaurant and even the menu on line some where. Sites like Indeed list jobs available. Sites like Zillow will show you pretty much all you want to know about real estate availability. There are sites that specialize in rental property. Mapping sites will tell you how far it is from A to B and pretty much how to get there and how long it will take.

These are all common types of questions that often get asked here over and over and the answers are readily available. Even here, an advanced search within a topic or the entire site can answer many questions, especially questions that have hard, precise answers.

Opinions here are plentiful and a variety of topics but keep in mind they are opinions. They may give you some insight you were looking for but the opinion may not match your own.

The best way to find answers about _____________ (fill in the blank) is research and more importantly, visit the location. Especially if it involves a life event event like moving there. Look for the things that are important to you weather is is Bible study or night clubbing or long distance running.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina