U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:21 PM

108 posts, read 192,445 times

Advertisements

There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in North Carolina. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you

We on the North Carolina forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

(Saw this on the Virginia Forum posted by SmerkyGrl- Thought we needed it too!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:29 PM

Dang It, can't figure out how to edit the title now. Or delete this to start over again!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,821,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
Dang It, can't figure out how to edit the title now. Or delete this to start over again!
You probably should have titled it "Read if you be askin' bout where to be livin in North Carolinuh".

This would have provided potential transplants with a clear picture of what to expect.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
You probably should have titled it "Read if you be askin' bout where to be livin in North Carolinuh".

This would have provided potential transplants with a clear picture of what to expect.

Haha. Yeah, didn't realize that I butchered the title until it was already submitted! I couldn't find a way to delete the thread. Oh well...

Old 02-18-2015, 12:18 PM

10,522 posts, read 20,591,727 times
Quote:
Haha. Yeah, didn't realize that I butchered the title until it was already submitted! I couldn't find a way to delete the thread. Oh well...
Just "report" your thread and ask the mod to change the title.

This kind of thread is SORELY needed...now let's see how many will actually read and follow it, or if we'll still get the same "I'm moving to NC, where is the best place to live?" questions twice a week.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:18 PM

5,019 posts, read 3,036,620 times
Quote:
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in North Carolina. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you

)

I agree that this is a great thread, NCPLANNER! I would highly recommend that people take a few minutes to look over a map of North Carolina and get a feel for how the state is laid out, and where the mountains, cities, beaches, and large swaths of rural land exist.

NCDOT: State Transportation Map

This thread may (??) help direct questions that occasionally pop up, such as "I'd like to live about a twenty minute drive from both the mountains and the ocean, and be able to take public transit (preferably a monorail) to Whole Foods and a good Russian bakery from the 30 acre farm I'd like buy for $80,000 and be there within ten minutes at most. And it must be also just like Mayberry with down home people and great schools! Oh, and I don't have a job yet, but I'll just come here and I'm sure I'll be able to find one that pays six figures in a couple days since an article I remember seeing in 2005 said North Carolina was overflowing with jobs. Where can I do that?"

Of course, some of those kinds of questions probably aren't just unique to the NC forum.

Last edited by Jowel; 02-19-2015 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 12,134 times
Ok, so I will be the first one on this forum to ask what the best area is to live at in NC with a family? My family and I live in Miami and we would like to relocate to North Carolina to give our kids a better way of life and allow for all of us to live a better life. We would probably start off renting something, and then eventually buying something, but we would just need to get settled first and then go from there. So, here are my requirements of what were looking for:

1.I have two boys ages 14 and 6 and we would like to be close to some great public schools.
2.We want to live in a nice family oriented neighborhood, that is safe for the kids to be outside and ride their bikes, etc.
3.We are open to living anywhere where there is a small town feel, small city excitement, or the suburbs.
4. It would also be great to be somewhere where there is a pool available, and close to the supermarket and shopping.

Since we are still in the process of trying to figure out where it is that we want to be, my husband and I are not really sure where we would be working. I would be looking for something as an Administrative Assistant and my husband is a boat captain, but possibly might consider changing fields to something else. Not to sure yet.
Anyway, any knowledge of some great areas is greatly appreciated along with all of my other requests. So thank you to all who may help us out. Have a great day!

By the way, we are planning on taking a trip up into the Chapel Hill area next month, so any comments about that area or the surrounding areas would be very helpful to us. Thank you again.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM

And we are glad to have a first! haha

As a boat captain, if your husband is looking to stay in that profession, I would assume that Wilmington or Morhead City areas would make the most sense. (Ports)

I don't know much about Morhead City at all, I have only been there a few times- its a nice place to visit, but I have no clue about living there.

I personally love Wilmington. I suggest taking a look into Wilmington.

As far as the Triangle area.. (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill-area). I don't think you can go wrong in many of the triangle area towns and cities. They have some great schools, lots to do but still has the small town, North Carolina, feel to me.... especially when you are talking about some of the smaller cities just outside of the area.

To be honest with you though, from your requirements, I think that there are tons of towns and cities have what you listed. ie. family oriented neighborhoods, small town/city/suburb, pool, supermarket shopping. Therefore, I would start seeing where you get job offers and go from there- because there are tons of great towns and cities that fit the general mold that you described.

Best of luck!!

Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM

426 posts, read 987,059 times
...and the person (s) seeking where to Live here in W. NC.... should post what they do for work and if they have work/job lined up already. :0) I suggest really using this FORUM as a tool. It was amazing for us prior to our move. Visiting the areas you are considering...not once but at least twice if you can and at different times of the year. Good luck...ask us questions we will answer! Good luck.... Donna

Old 02-23-2015, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 18,163 times
Good afternoon everyone! I am new to posting on city-data but I have used it extensively to get an idea of the different places I am looking into as options for moving. First, I want to thank everyone who takes the time to answer these questions; I am amazed at how detailed the responses are and I can always tell when a lot of thought goes into the responses and how much people love the places that they live.

Now on to more info about me:
* I am a 24 year old female who has an Elementary teaching degree and I currently reside in Pennsylvania. I have tried for two years to obtain a job here but everything is extremely political and I 1) do not have an "in" in any of the districts remotely close to me and 2) do not have the required money to bribe most of the districts in the area (teaching jobs are very hard to come by)
* I would be moving with my fiance who has a 7 year old daughter
* I have been able to find many job opportunities in the Wake County School Districts as well as a few in the Harnett County Schools. Even though I have not yet been offered a job, I am looking ahead in case things do happen.
* My fiance wants to be near the beach but I am noticing that jobs are not as abundant in areas such as Wilmington. He also does not like to live in big cities so we are looking for a more small town feel (so cliche to say but sort of like a Gilmore Girls town feel to it haha) but with an easy commute to attractions and amenities ( I love museums, shopping, small parks for children, as well as local businesses and farmers markets).
* I have looked into Knightdale, Rolesville, and Lillington and they all seem to be great little towns and not horribly far from a beach (where I live now it takes about 4-5 hours to get to the closest beach) with a short commute into Raleigh.
* As far as how much I am willing to spend, I would be living off of a teaching salary so I am thinking about $35,000 to $40,000 a year and my fiance is going to hopefully transfer colleges to finish up his nursing degree so he would have hopefully a part time job.

If anyone has any information on these towns or other towns that would be an easy commute into the Raleigh area for me I would greatly appreciate the input. It is hard to get a feel for all of the surrounding towns and I read so many mixed responses on living in North Carolina that I had to find out for myself. I hope I provided enough information to help with the responses.

Thank you everyone for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina