Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metropolitan region do you like the most?
Raliegh-Durham-Chapel Hill 40 60.61%
Winston Salem-Greensboro-High Point 26 39.39%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,664,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john879 View Post
Greensboro i by far the best, way over half the population is liberal, and keep in mind, the stats show that at the pace that greensboro and raleigh are growing, greensboro will soon be bigger than raleigh. right now, raleigh is a tiny bit bigger than greensboro.
You can't be serious? I suggest looking at statistics and projection for both cities. They're in two different leagues. 260,000 vs 400,000 and the gap continues to widen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,277,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
You can't be serious? I suggest looking at statistics and projection for both cities. They're in two different leagues. 260,000 vs 400,000 and the gap continues to widen.
It is really 260,000 vs 385,000. The Triad has 1.5 million people while the Triangle has 1.6 million.

Raleigh

Durham

Greensboro

Winston-Salem

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a2/WinSalSkyline12.jpg (broken link)
Photos courtesy of Wikipedia

I seriously don't see how these two areas are 'in two different leagues'. They are however in two different directions as far as growth rates. Maybe if Raleigh keeps growing at its current pace for the next twenty years, we might then have two different leagues. As of now, we don't. The Triad and Triangle are still 'twins'.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It is really 260,000 vs 385,000. The Triad has 1.5 million people while the Triangle has 1.6 million.

Raleigh

Durham

Greensboro

Winston-Salem

Photos courtesy of Wikipedia

I seriously don't see how these two areas are 'in two different leagues'. They are however in two different directions as far as growth rates. Maybe if Raleigh keeps growing at its current pace for the next twenty years, we might then have two different leagues. As of now, we don't. The Triad and Triangle are still 'twins'.
I'm not talking about the greater areas or metros. I'm talking about the actual city itself. Just like Raleigh isn't in the same league as Charlotte by itself.

I would also think a city is more than just a skyline.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,277,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I'm not talking about the greater areas or metros. I'm talking about the actual city itself. Just like Raleigh isn't in the same league as Charlotte by itself.

I would also think a city is more than just a skyline.
Ok. City vs. city. Greensboro has minor league baseball downtown. Greensboro has the Joseph S. Koury convention center not too far from the Greensboro coliseum. Greensboro has a Fed Ex hub at the airport. Greensboro has a water park. Greenboro has the ACC and its tournament. Raleigh has state government and Durham county's RTP.

Now explain to me again how Raleigh and Greensboro are in two different leagues?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:20 PM

Im not answeriing any of your questions because its obvious you're trying to start an argument based on your hatred for Raleigh. Nice try buddy.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,205,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Grew up in W-S and still have the bulk of family there. Been in Raleigh area for 20 years. Much prefer the Triangle overall to the Triad. Do like the proximity to the mountains from the Triad. But the job situation in the Triangle is so far superior to the Triad it isn't funny.
^^ This is an old reply but it still holds true. Employment opportunites in Raleigh are much better than in Greensboro. By several orders of magnitude. I'm not saying Greensboro isn't a nice place to live, but most of us need jobs and the opportunity for getting one is much better in Raleigh.

This poll is almost three years old, but Raleigh seems to be the odds on favorite. In the end, it is up to the individual.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,129,584 times
I have lived in Raleigh, Charlotte, and now Winston-Salem, so perhaps I can give some perspective as one who's experienced them all. First, let me say they are all great places in their own right...there's really no need for all the competition. We should all feel fortunate that we live in a state with so many great cities!

Second, I disagree with NorthRaleighGuy's post above about the job opportunities. When you consider that the Triad includes three larger cities within easy commuting distance (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point), I'd say the job market is not as superior in the Triangle as he implies. Winston-Salem has taken some hits lately with Wachovia, Sara Lee, US Air, and others, but it also has a massive medical infrastructure that compares favorably to the UNC and Duke hospitals, along with WFU, RJ Reynolds, Dell, and others. Greensboro has a number of corporate headquarters, and international corporations are represented well too. The High Point area is well-known for its furniture industry, but it also has other industries like Tyco Electronics and Thomas Built Buses.

I can confidently say that both areas are great places to live.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
^^ This is an old reply but it still holds true. Employment opportunites in Raleigh are much better than in Greensboro. By several orders of magnitude. I'm not saying Greensboro isn't a nice place to live, but most of us need jobs and the opportunity for getting one is much better in Raleigh.

This poll is almost three years old, but Raleigh seems to be the odds on favorite. In the end, it is up to the individual.
Greensboro is a very nice place to live! So are most cities in NC! This recession has really shown how resilient the Triangle's economy is. While we're not in the best of shape we're far beyond many other metro areas.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,205,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
First, let me say they are all great places in their own right...there's really no need for all the competition. We should all feel fortunate that we live in a state with so many great cities!
I agree with that!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I agree with that!
I concur. We should appreciate the fact we have so many cities close together (so many options), unlike many other states in the US. NC is a very underrated state IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina