Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:38 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,974,488 times

Advertisements

Seriously, are they *trying* to turn this state into a national laughingstock?

NC House bill would let drivers cross yellow lines to pass slowpokes | News & Observer News & Observer

Why even paint lines on the road if you're going to allow this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 10:58 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,356,285 times
Scratchie N. Mihead 2

Old 03-09-2015, 07:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,280,003 times
The funeral business must have lobbied for this bill. :roll eyes: I agree if they want to save money and this insane bill passes why paint.
There has to be a federal bill passed decades ago that regulates this.
As our state is becoming more congested due to population growth just create slow lane sections similar to what is in mountains.
Who crafted this bill ? What county and or district?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,615,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The funeral business must have lobbied for this bill. :roll eyes: I agree if they want to save money and this insane bill passes why paint.
There has to be a federal bill passed decades ago that regulates this.
As our state is becoming more congested due to population growth just create slow lane sections similar to what is in mountains.
Who crafted this bill ? What county and or district?
Sponsors are Representatives Elmore, R. Brown, and Zachary

Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 AM

3,065 posts, read 4,801,743 times
I always thought Canada had a good solution for this...they build two lane roads with "interstate" style side berms...so that section out the side that you can park on without sitting on the grass.

So when you get behind a big truck going up a hill in Canada, the truck will move to the side and drive on the berm to allow you to pass. It obviously takes the slow pokes to move over to make it happen, but its well known up there if you are hauling freight or whatever and have to drive slow.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,280,003 times
Here another highway bill brought up by Republican Sarah Stevens, of Surry County.

Would Allow Drivers To Ignore Work Zone Speed Limits

New Bill Would Allow Drivers To Ignore Work Zone Speed Limits

Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,288,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Here another highway bill brought up by Republican Sarah Stevens, of Surry County.

Would Allow Drivers To Ignore Work Zone Speed Limits

New Bill Would Allow Drivers To Ignore Work Zone Speed Limits
The invisible ghost of Ayn Rand must have whispered that one to her in her sleep..

Old 03-11-2015, 06:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,126,467 times
These people have lost their minds, assuming they had minds to begin with. It's not like we have bigger problems out there to solve...no, instead let's do all we can to make sure people can legally drive like maniacs, because we got places to go!

Old 03-11-2015, 07:29 AM

353 posts, read 600,219 times
As someone who gets stuck behind scooter drivers on a daily basis, I can sorta see some logic in that first one. I'm just not sure about the mental calculations I'd have to perform to determine if the scooter was driving "less than half the posted speed". And since when do drivers around here make sound judgement calls anyway? I'd rather put all the scooters (in Wilmington, anyway) on the largely unused miles of bike paths we have around here and ban them from the streets altogether.

The other one seems dumb if you just read the headline, but if you read the article, it's saying they'd like to treat a work zone similar to a school zone - you're only required to reduce speeds during certain times. That makes sense, as long as it's clearly posted when there are workers active at the site.

I understand the reasoning behind both these bills, I just don't see where these are such huge problems that our representatives need to spend time debating their pluses and minuses. Don't they have some more important issues they should be dealing with?

Old 03-11-2015, 08:08 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,126,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
The other one seems dumb if you just read the headline, but if you read the article, it's saying they'd like to treat a work zone similar to a school zone - you're only required to reduce speeds during certain times. That makes sense, as long as it's clearly posted when there are workers active at the site.

It's not just because of workers that speed limits are reduced at a construction site. There may be equipment, low shoulders, unpainted pavement, possibly lane shifts, cones and barriers, etc. that warrant lower speeds. This just smacks of creating a solution where there is no problem--who is in such a hurry that they can't slow down for a few hundred yards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina