Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 AM

58,761 posts, read 27,104,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Because the Democratic Party of 1915 is anything like the party of today. You really think that?
"You really think that?" Did I say I did?

You should NOT try to twist things for your own agenda.

Weather they are the same in 1915 as in 2015 is irreverent.

The FACT that the dems held control for 100 years is a FACT.

If ANYBODY thinks that the dems, for ALL those YEARS did NOT draw the districts to enhance themselves in the legislature, I have a bridge to sell them.

Address the issue and DON'T try to change the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:44 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,352,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
NC. Where do YOU live?
Exactly where it says in my profile.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,363,292 times

Bill passed to gerrymander Wake Co.

New law could make Republican majority in Wake County | News and Observer News and Observer

If the previous elections were held with these redrawn districts, Republicans would control 9 of 12 seats despite 30,000 more people voting Democrat

Here is what McCrory said:

Quote:
The issue had attracted some concern, including from Gov. Pat McCrory. In March, McCrory warned legislators not to get too involved with local politics.

“We have some legislators who also want to be mayor and city councilmen,” he told an auditorium full of mayors and city council members. “… If someone wants to change the form of government in one of your cities, then go run for City Council, for mayor.”[LEFT]
Read more here: New law could make Republican majority in Wake County | News and Observer News and Observer
[/LEFT]

Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,239,237 times
Another win for small government! Oh wait.....

Old 04-03-2015, 05:51 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,140,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

If ANYBODY thinks that the dems, for ALL those YEARS did NOT draw the districts to enhance themselves in the legislature, I have a bridge to sell them.

I may be interested in that bridge...the fact is, Democrats had such an overwhelming majority of voters in NC that they didn't need to gerrymander districts. Most were conservative Democrats who were moderate to right of center--there wasn't much more than token Republicanism up until the early 1970's. So it didn't matter much how the districts were drawn--Republicans weren't going to win much. Further, the gerrymandering that did occur was largely done to comply with federal mandates to give African Americans better representation. That's quite different from this "We want to make sure our party wins" type of gerrymandering.

Your "but the Democrats did it too!" defense doesn't hold water.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,088,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I may be interested in that bridge...the fact is, Democrats had such an overwhelming majority of voters in NC that they didn't need to gerrymander districts. Most were conservative Democrats who were moderate to right of center--there wasn't much more than token Republicanism up until the early 1970's. So it didn't matter much how the districts were drawn--Republicans weren't going to win much. Further, the gerrymandering that did occur was largely done to comply with federal mandates to give African Americans better representation. That's quite different from this "We want to make sure our party wins" type of gerrymandering.

Your "but the Democrats did it too!" defense doesn't hold water.
The extent to which the Republicans have redrawn every district in the state to maximize their power is astonishing. I understand that the winner enjoys the spoils of redistricting but when that action completely eliminates the voice of the opposing party, there's a problem.
I'd love to see the actual total votes cast for statewide or national elected officials vis-a-vis the representation that results.
I seem to remember that in 2012, NC had more votes cast for Democrats to the US House races yet Republicans overwhelming represent NC in the chamber. Now the Republicans hold 9 of the 13 seats despite NC being one of the most balanced swing states in that nation regarding voting.
This latest attack on voters in Wake County is just another tactic to silence the voice of the Democrats in their strong holds. The Republicans did it to NC's urban representation in the US House by slicing up parts of the cities and coupling them with far flung countryside so that Republicans would outnumber them. Now they have done it with Wake County because its rapidly moving in the opposite direction of the state government.
There is absolutely no justification that can be given to me that would swap a majority of one party's votes into control by the other party. It's un-American.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,809,949 times
You can't talk about gerrymandering without bringing Mel Watt into the conversation. Who do you think drew up that district?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,504,599 times
Gerrymanderng legislative and congressional districts is an entirely different matter from the legislature interfering in local government elections and is not what this thread was started for. It is completely within their powers and duties for the legislature to draw and redraw legislative and congressional districts every 10 years.

It is NOT normal for the legislature to involve itself in the restructuring of districts for local government (city, county, school districts). That should be left up to each respective local area and its voters. What I don't understand is that 2 of the 3 Guilford Co house Republican members (all but the one from High Point) has opposed the Greensboro bill and asked that it be subject to a Greensboro voter referendum. Good for them! Yet there has been no such challenge to the Wake County bill. For shame!

Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 AM

601 posts, read 959,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
You can't talk about gerrymandering without bringing Mel Watt into the conversation. Who do you think drew up that district?
False equivalency.

District 12 wasn't gerrymandered to give Democrats in North Carolina an advantage. It was created to give blacks more representation, and to comply with the Department of Justice with the Voting Rights Act. The state initially came up with one district at the time that gave minorities a majority, but the DoJ wanted another, so they created two. NC residents sued the state, and a US district court sided with NC, until the US Supreme Court ruled against it.

If anything, even in the 90's and 2000's, District 12 probably did more to slightly disadvantage Democratic voters, since a large margin of the voters in that district voted blue. It was modified further in 2011 by Republicans to assure that majority of the blue voters in Charlotte and Triad were contained into just one district, and to not affect the surrounding districts.

Furthermore, trying to bring up District 12 has no relevance at the topic at hand, since it has nothing to do with the Republican's current efforts to suppress Democratic voters on every level of government. The defense of, "But the Democrats 'did it'!" is quickly becoming a knee-cap reaction to any criticism to the current Republican General Assembly's actions.

Edit: I also agree with roadpony.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:22 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,526,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
....The defense of, "But the Democrats 'did it'!" is quickly becoming a knee-cap reaction to any criticism to the current Republican General Assembly's actions.
Politics is hell. As I said before, gerrymandering ONLY works because people are so myopic, they can only vote the party instead of the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina