Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:09 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Whew...somebody forgot to take their meds this morning...
Off topic. Obviously, crack does not kill !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Where do you get your numbers?
110 million on entitlements = 36% (almost half) Probably Democratic voters too - 100% sure of this.
The 35.4 Percent: 109,631,000 on Welfare | CNS News

Last edited by ClevelandMike; 03-17-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The OP asked where manufacturing jobs are, not what are your politics or what are your prejudices. If you are unaware of the manufacturing that's going on in Upstate SC, thanks to the BMW plant, consider yourself informed now.
BMW is hiring? Good plant, been inside of it many times too. You can eat off the production floor. I would not move here from NY thinking I was guaranteed a job at BMW. You're informed.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Second option: Welfare, Food Stamps, Disability, Medicaid, Rent Assistance and other entitlement hand outs are about $40k a year. F--- it, why kill yourself working, almost half of our country have lazy & shameless people living this way. At least you have options. Have a good day.
Off-topic. Obviously meth does not kill.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
BMW is hiring? Good plant, been inside of it many times too. You can eat off the production floor. I would not move here from NY thinking I was guaranteed a job at BMW. You're informed.
There is a forum for Spartanburg & Greenville. There are loooong threads about getting hired at the BMW plant. I answered the OP's question by giving useful information. You did not.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:47 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholl261 View Post
I'm thinking of relocating from NY and would like to know where to find manufacturing/production jobs. I was thinking more toward Charlotte but not imperative. Also looking for a nice small place for just myself but don't want anything in a bad area or the middle of nowhere. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
What some of the other posters alluded to is essentially correct. Most of these jobs have been offshored. The few examples that are discussed are the exceptions rather than the norm.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 PM

272 posts, read 380,569 times
Quote:
News Flash....
Your government is lying to you on economic recovery. We are still in a heap is trouble and have a grim outlook if
we continue down this path. NC is a little better off now that the democrats are not in control but, PT & Temp Jobs, and low paying work is now the norm. Manufacturing jobs went elsewhere thanks to your Government passing NAFTA. All NC Textiles, Tobacco and other main production went to Mexico & overseas. The entire USA needs a different course to allow companies to be created and for them to grow. Better paying job opportunities in Utah, ND & SD.

Second option: Welfare, Food Stamps, Disability, Medicaid, Rent Assistance and other entitlement hand outs are about $40k a year. F--- it, why kill yourself working, almost half of our country have lazy & shameless people living this way. At least you have options. Have a good day.
LOL...You act like the Democrats got us into the recession in the first place. I'm not Democrat nor Republican, but it's foolish to forget what the Bush (Republican) era did to our economy. And not everyone that receive Welfare, food stamps etc. are receiving handouts. A "handout" is something that you didn't work for...that being said... I know people that have worked and paid taxes into the welfare system from the age of 16 to 42 and NEVER used welfare. If those people have paid taxes for nearly 30 years, come up on hard times, and finally need assistance...is it really fair to say that they receive "handouts"?? Especially when they paid into it? If you ask me, those hard working citizens aren't receiving "handouts"...it's called a well deserved entitlement. On the other hand, if you have NEVER worked, or paid taxes...THAT is a handout my friend, and I am against that.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:01 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
NC is a little better off now that the democrats are not in control but, PT & Temp Jobs, and low paying work is now the norm. Manufacturing jobs went elsewhere thanks to your Government passing NAFTA.
"Your government", would be Republican President George H. W. Bush, who spearheaded and negotiated NAFTA, along with 132 republican house members and 32 republican senators.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
"Your government", would be Republican President George H. W. Bush, who spearheaded and
negotiated NAFTA, along with 132 republican house members and 32 republican senators.
But NAFTA still wasn't the real problem... not by itself.
Producing another full crop of no/low skill replacement workers is the biggest problem.
The surplus of their own figurative and literal siblings is what forces their wage rates down.

During this same period (~1970 forward) of offshoring and shuttering no/low skill industries
every other demographic group in the country self moderated birthrates and on the whole are doing OK.
Their biggest threat comes from forcing the no/lows to get training and compete.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:25 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholl261 View Post
I'm thinking of relocating from NY and would like to know where to find manufacturing/production jobs. I was thinking more toward Charlotte but not imperative. Also looking for a nice small place for just myself but don't want anything in a bad area or the middle of nowhere. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Sorry OP...your first post & first thread just went down the rabbit hole of P&OC.
Here's my two cents - and it's pretty old school:
Google the top 100 manufacturing companies in the country. Or the top 200 or even 300...however much time you're willing to put into researching this thing. Throw out the companies with locations you would never consider living in. Narrow it down further by the types of manufacturing you are definitely not qualified for. At this point you should have enough companies - maybe ten (seriously!) on your list - that you can research their history & hiring procedures.

Add to that list by contacting Chambers of Commerce & BBB lists for the areas you're interested in. Pull from those lists names of companies that fit your basic qualifications & interests. A friend of mine was set on getting out of NY & into a mild climate and thought he'd land a job as a machinist at a car factory in TN. Instead, he wound up in FL making custom gates for a small manufacturer. He found that because of a lead he rcvd from an HR wiz who was nice enough to reject him & give him a tip on looking beyond what he thought he wanted. Yep, sometimes the least likely odds turn out to have a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina