U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 02:24 PM

232 posts, read 661,480 times

Advertisements

Interested in hearing from folks of what they think of Union County- south Charlotte vs. Wake County area....(cary, North Raleigh, Wake Forest) etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,668,049 times
What sorts of things do you want to know? I lived in Union County in the late 90's, lived in South Charlotte before and after that time, and now live in Raleigh. I don't have children so I can't speak about schools. I will mention that Union County has several different vibes, as does Raleigh. As far as South Charlotte is concerned, it's beautiful. Everything is clean and new and happening. In general, houses are large, most people drive new cars, a lot of the families I knew there had nannies, and no one talked about packing their lunch to save money. I enjoyed all three areas. When I needed a change, I moved.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 PM
NCN

21,132 posts, read 22,340,386 times
There is not a hill of beans difference in the two. We live in Union County and our son lives in Franklin County near Raleigh.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:12 PM

232 posts, read 661,480 times
Ok I guess to be more specific- schools, and crime are what I am interested in hearing about

Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,737,355 times
If you search the Charlotte and Triangle sub-forums you will find lots of posts about each area.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM

3,363 posts, read 4,367,642 times
There is a major difference in Union County and Wake County. For starters, Wake County is an urban county with approximately 800,000 people, soon to have over 1 million, whereas Union County is a rural to suburban county with around 200,000 people. Much of Union County is undeveloped or small towns. Wake County's centerpiece is one of the nation's fastest growing cities, Raleigh. The pace of life in Union County is slow to sluggish with a strong Southern identity. Wake County has a much more exciting, faster pace of life, with a growing Mid-Atlantic identity. Union County is culturally conservative and religious with a strong Republican tilt. Wake County is trending more and more Democrat with a growing progressive influence from techies, gays, and college students.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:31 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,796,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
There is a major difference in Union County and Wake County. For starters, Wake County is an urban county with approximately 800,000 people, soon to have over 1 million, whereas Union County is a rural to suburban county with around 200,000 people. Much of Union County is undeveloped or small towns. Wake County's centerpiece is one of the nation's fastest growing cities, Raleigh. The pace of life in Union County is slow to sluggish with a strong Southern identity. Wake County has a much more exciting, faster pace of life, with a growing Mid-Atlantic identity. Union County is culturally conservative and religious with a strong Republican tilt. Wake County is trending more and more Democrat with a growing progressive influence from techies, gays, and college students.
And Union County is attached to Charlotte-Mecklenburg...the BIGGEST city in NC and largest city between Washington DC & Atlanta. Very modern city and thriving Uptown and with a major International Airport the city is destined to grow even more. Charlotte has the 1st Light Rail in the State of NC (opened Nov 24, 2007). Major Sporting events, Excellent High End Shopping, Excellent choice of restaurants, the only Amusement Park in NC is in Charlotte, US Whitewater Center (where 10 countries will compete in rafting/kayaking for the Olympics) is in Charlotte. And I could go on and on.

Raleigh is a great city too...but lets toot the horn where tooting is due.

So Union County is nothing to sneeze at. And I have no affiliation with Union County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina