U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 AM

109 posts, read 255,351 times
Default New urbanism- any insights?

Recently read about "new urbanism" communities in a publication.
These communities are like old fashion small towns where you can walk to stores etc. Most houses have front porches so you can get to know your neighbors. I guess Mayberryish?
Any insight on these communities? Don't play golf and don't want to live in an age restricted community so this would be perfect for me.
I am years away from retiring so being able to find a good job is inportant to me. I'm an experienced Executive Administrative Assistant.
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:51 AM

648 posts, read 1,959,781 times
There are a couple in Asheville: Gerber Village is mostly commercial with a couple hundred condos planned. There are some available now. The other is Biltmore Park. It's a planned community of single-family homes with several large employers, a town square with shops and a YMCA. The public schools are just outside the development, walkable by those on that side of the community.

I know there are a few in far north Raleigh as well. Bedford strikes me as the name of one of those. Some in the Triangle could let you know more about those.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,409,693 times
Charlotte are has a couple too.

Baxter Village (Fort Mill, SC)
Birkdale Village (Huntersville, NC)

And I am sure there are more in the Charlotte area.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,112,723 times
I live in Falls River in north Raleigh, which borders Bedford. Both communities are considered TNDs, or Traditional Neighborhood Developments. New Urbanist communities include more housing density and more mixed-use development than we have in either of these communities. In fact, Bedford still has NO commercial development at all despite being a 6 year old neighborhood. They do have land set aside for a small town center, but nothing's going up yet.

There are really only two communities in the Triangle that I'd consider true New Urbanist: Souther Village & Meadowmont, both located in Chapel Hill.

Bottom line: there is a clear distinction between TND and NU, so make sure you don't buy in a TND expecting to find a NU community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina