Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times

Advertisements

Any larger town along I-40 or I-85 is probably growing a little, I know Burlington seems to be growing a bit closer to my neck of the woods. But yeah, that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:35 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
It depends on what you mean by Deep South. Are you talking about the historic stereotypical Deep South that is still found in small towns and rural areas? Or are you talking about the urban areas of the Deep South that are a more modern representation? I can probably guess, because the stereotypical caricature is what most people imagine.

The Deep South is a very diverse area with areas as different as night and day, so it's hard to answer your question. But there are definitely rural areas of NC that one would associate with the historic southern stereotype: slow pace of life, agricultural, small town, noticeable southern accents, church on every corner, etc. These places are pretty easy to find.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Thought of another town that always strikes me as very Deep South-ish, Red Springs. Man, that place is southern.
Yes, it sure is. That's where my ex-girlfriend grew up, and her mom still lives there. Whenever we went to visit I was definitely thinking of how southern it is. Very isolated.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Yes, it sure is. That's where my ex-girlfriend grew up, and her mom still lives there. Whenever we went to visit I was definitely thinking of how southern it is. Very isolated.
Chadbourn down the road in Columbus County, too. That town honestly feels like rural Alabama or Mississippi, not to disrespect but it's like stepping back in time. I'd love to stick some of my suburban friends from North Raleigh in a town like Chadbourn, their mouths would drop to the floor. Seriously, some of those smaller towns in Southeastern NC are a world apart from the Research Triangle suburbs.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 PM

Can y'all give the names of counties that strike you as Deep South-ish? Ones that you could throw in the middle of Alabama or Mississippi without being out of place.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:25 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Can y'all give the names of counties that strike you as Deep South-ish? Ones that you could throw in the middle of Alabama or Mississippi without being out of place.
Wake, when the General Assembly is in session. Otherwise, no.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Wake, when the General Assembly is in session. Otherwise, no.
lol

Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
lol
These "the sky is falling" folks are totally ridiculous. I guess they don't have enough years on them to remember the fluctuations between Democrat/Republican that we've experienced even in just the past 20-40 years - and no one can tell them otherwise! It reminds me of my parents, who are solid Republicans, lamenting about how out country is in trouble every time Clinton or Obama has been elected.

You can't tell some people anything.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:28 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
These "the sky is falling" folks are totally ridiculous. I guess they don't have enough years on them to remember the fluctuations between Democrat/Republican that we've experienced even in just the past 20-40 years - and no one can tell them otherwise! It reminds me of my parents, who are solid Republicans, lamenting about how out country is in trouble every time Clinton or Obama has been elected.

In this case, I'm not sure if has anything to do with "the sky is falling mentality," although we've seen that around here. Rather, it's that a lot of the stuff we see coming out of Raleigh is unprecedented given NC's moderate politics over the years; it resembles legislation like you'd see coming out of Deep South, bright red states.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:43 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

I'm willing to bet I have more years on me than you do. And on t he state level, you are completely wrong to assert there has been any "fluctuation" between the parties. The Democrats had control of the state for around 100 years. Sure, we had a few republican governors, and I think once or twice there may have a tiny republican majority in the state senate, but what transpired in 2010 and 2012 is unprecedented since reconstruction. The republicans are in full control, and due to their favorable redistricting that won't be changing any time soon.

You are correct about one thing, some people don't know anything, and can't learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina