Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 966 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC/Long Island. I work in the Medical Records Dept of a hospital that will be going electronic which means I can work from home, anywhere in US. I am newly divorced, late 40's,kids will be going off to college in a couple of years. Looking for a condo(a private community would be nice, but not mandatory),but not sure where in NC to look. I am swayed to the coast, but don't want to exclude any other areas. Would like to meet other singles. I will need to come check out neighborhoods, but need to narrow the search down. Who better to ask than the people who live there, right? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:45 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickeychk View Post
I am newly divorced, late 40's, kids will be going off to college in a couple of years.
I can work from home, anywhere in US.
In a couple of years, after your kids are accepted/enrolled and settled in at college,
take a year or two to travel around some and enjoying extended (3-6 month) stays in
five or six areas to truly experience those communities on your own.

Look for furnished sublets and share situations.

Quote:
I am swayed to the coast, but don't want to exclude any other areas.
Would like to meet other singles.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
NC is 560 miles long, with a population approaching 10 million. It is a large, diverse state, with (relatively) large cities, medium size cities, hundreds of small towns, suburbs, beaches, mountains, hills, rivers, oceans, golf courses, etc., etc. Your question is too impossibly broad to even begin to answer.

You really need to think about what type of area you want to live in...a city? Small town? Out in the country? On the beach? Near the beach? An hour from the beach? What amenities are important? How far away from those amenities? Is a major airport important? What is your budget? You really won't get any meaningful answers until you can answer these, and other, questions.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
I am newly divorced, late 40's,kids will be going off to college in a couple of years. Looking for a condo.....Would like to meet other singles.
North Carolina is so very family-oriented, that I don't know of any specific city where 40-ish singles hang out. You might look for places that align with hobbies: fishing, hunting, hiking, golf, etc. Golf is in the Sandhills and Brunswick County on the coast. Wilmington is the largest urban area on the coast. Hiking is best in the western part of the state.

If you are more of a city person, you might enjoy Durham, which has a great "foodie" scene and an interesting, somewhat gritty downtown. If you truly have a job for life, then you might also look at Asheville. Asheville is beautiful and interesting, but it is very hard to find work there.

Then, the military cities have a surplus of men: Jacksonville and Fayetteville. So if meeting a military man would work for you, then look on the coast or Sandhills.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-22-2015 at 08:09 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Hiking is best in the western part of the state.
I see this being said frequently and I don't understand it. There are great state parks throughout NC, and excellent hiking trails are available all over the place, not just in WNC. Mountain hiking is different from flat land hiking, not necessarily better. It all depends on one's perspective.

Having said that, it may be off topic since the OP didn't even mention hiking.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
I'm from NYC/Long Island. I work in the Medical Records Dept of a hospital that will be going electronic which means I can work from home, anywhere in US. I am newly divorced, late 40's,kids will be going off to college in a couple of years. Looking for a condo(a private community would be nice, but not mandatory),but not sure where in NC to look. I am swayed to the coast, but don't want to exclude any other areas. Would like to meet other singles. I will need to come check out neighborhoods, but need to narrow the search down. Who better to ask than the people who live there, right? Thanks.
The first question is, why are you looking in NC to start with. Have you been here and liked what you saw? In other words, what familiarity do you have that's made you want to move here.

We can't really tell you where YOU would be happiest--it's like saying "Where in NY State should I move to?" Your question needs way way more detail about what specifics you'[re looking for and why you are looking into NC versus other places.

Most of all, take a trip down and see what YOU like about the state.

Did you read this thread, pinned at the top of the forum saying "Read this if you're asking where to live in NC?"

Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
I agree the OP needs to define her goals better for the rest of her life. I just threw out some options like hiking, which she might be interested in.

Furthermore, she has not said whether she expects to bring the kids to North Carolina. I agree with Mr. Rational that it is probably better not to move them away from their friends when they are in high school. Then the OP would be free to follow her own interests.

If the OP is used to New York amenities, she may find coastal North Carolina quite limited. Wilmington is a little over 100,000 people, and much smaller than NYC or Long Island.

If it were my life, I'd head for some where more exciting: Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Las Vegas or Phoenix.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:52 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I see this being said frequently and I don't understand it. There are great state parks throughout NC, and excellent hiking trails are available all over the place, not just in WNC. Mountain hiking is different from flat land hiking, not necessarily better. It all depends on one's perspective.
There are great trails throughout the state. To me, "hiking" means going up and down, which is obviously more available in Western NC. I have never heard the term flat land hiking. I think of that as walking.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
There are great trails throughout the state. To me, "hiking" means going up and down, which is obviously more available in Western NC. I have never heard the term flat land hiking. I think of that as walking.

"Hiking" basically means "Walking for an extended period in a (typically) natural setting". You may think that just means hills and mountains, but the rest of the world doesn't necessarily agree.

Copied & pasted from Wikipedia, because it's Monday and I don't feel like doing anything more ambitious:

Hiking in Canada and the USA is the preferred term for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails (footpaths), in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks.

Back on topic, I agree that there is no possible way for anyone to make an informed recommendation without more input. Tell us what you want, specifically, and we'll tell you what we know.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Back on topic, I agree that there is no possible way for anyone to make an informed recommendation without more input. Tell us what you want, specifically, and we'll tell you what we know.
It's amazing the number of first-time posts in this forum that could be aided by following this simple advice. We aren't mind-readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina