U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:46 PM

29 posts, read 107,694 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Greenville, NC come July. Any help or comments on this area would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2006, 06:02 PM

787 posts, read 3,323,396 times
I live about 18 miles from Greenville and I have to say this is one of the best smaller cities with some excellent potential for employment particularly in the medical field. ECU has an excellent medical school and Pitt Memorial Hospital is located in a great area as well. If you need help with housing, you can email me at christedder32062@msn.com

Maybe I can help you narrow down exactly what you are looking for. The housing is not too bad. But it is more expensive than where I live. But with gas prices being what they are now and expecting to rise, I would do my best to get within a computing range of at least 10-15 miles. I guess it would depend on whether you like the county or the city. Don't expect anything like NYC here. It just ain't happening here. But the place is really a comfortable area except in the middle of summer.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:23 PM

Thanks for responding. We would like to live in the out skirts of Greenville. We are used to the small town life here and I am sure they are more 2 do there than here. We was looking at maybe Winterville or some other small communites in about a 20 mile radius of Greenville. As far as housing goes we are looking to rent something for awhile until we realize we really like it. Thanks again, Beth

Old 04-17-2006, 04:34 PM

Smaller towns, okay. Try Farmville, Ayden, Grifton, Fountain, which Fountain is really small, Winterville, Snow Hill, which is where I live, Winterville, and maybe even Washington and Bethel. I believe all these towns are in Pitt County with the exception of Snow Hill, which is in the bordering county of Greene. Grifton is right on the border of Lenoir and Pitt counties and to tell you the truth, I am exactly sure which county it is in. Washington is probably in another county as well. And I am not sure about Bethel. Farmville, Ayden, Grifton, Winterville, and Snow Hill are all under 20 miles of Greenville. As for Fountain, Washington and Bethel, they are probably not much further than 20either but I am not exactly sure how far away they are. But I will attempt to get mileage.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 PM

Okay, here are your mileages and Washington is in Washington County and Bethel is in Pitt County. Fountain is so small I couldn't even bring it up on the Maps and directions but I would guess once you get out of the city limits of Fountain and hit the 264 By-pass that it can't be any further than 15 miles.

Snow Hill is the 2nd furtherest and where I live at 21.3 miles
Ayden is 11 miles
Farmville is 13.8 miles
Winterville is 6.2 miles
Grifton is 18.8 miles
Bethel is 15.3 miles
Washington is the furtherest at 22.3 miles.

Good luck and we would love to have you. The real estate is very reasonable here. There is also a web site you can visit. Just type in The town of Snow Hill, NC and it should pop right up and you can learn about the history and all. Greene County was originally part of Dobbs County that also included the current counties of Johnston, Wayne, Lenoir and Greene Counties. Then Dobbs broke up these counties with Lenoir and Greene being one county called Glasgow. But thanks to some scandal involving the namesake of the county, when Lenoir and Greene broke up, they changed the name of Glasgow to Greene in honor Revolutionary War hero, Nathaniel Greene. It was incorporated in 1799. Snow Hill is the county seat. There are other communties that are smaller such as Maury, Hookerton, and Walstonburg. But they are simply smaller and that is a real reach considering I doubt that there are 2000 people in the city limits of Snow Hill alone. We have medical centers but no hospital. We have a full time EMS service that has to use the hospitals in Lenoir, Pitt, Wayne, and Wilson Counties when need be. Also we house two prisons in Maury, one that is low security and the lastest one is high security.

Here is a link to the town of Snow Hill

http://www.snowhillnc.com/

Old 04-17-2006, 06:47 PM

192 posts, read 593,510 times
Quote:
Washington is in Washington County
Washington, commonly referred to in the area as "Little Washington", is located in Beaufort County.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Thank You!!

I really appreciate all the info!! Thanks so much!!

Old 04-18-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
Washington, commonly referred to in the area as "Little Washington", is located in Beaufort County.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I believe I knew this. I guess I just forgot about it. Thanks for correcting me.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM

212 posts, read 989,365 times
I live NE of Wilson and consider Pitt/Greene/Wayne/Nash/Wilson counties home. I worked at the DuPont plant just north of Kinston (Lenoir Co.) for years. It is a good place to live. I grew up in VA in a city of 400,000 and felt like I had died and gone to heaven when I arrived down here for college. Never left and have no plans to. Married a farm girl and all that.(incidentally, my father in law still considers me a **** yankee LOL! from VA! He says anyone from North of Rocky Mount is a yankee, and a yankee that comes down and stays is a **** yankee! Love him to death, old tobacco farmer!)

Last edited by clodhopper; 04-18-2006 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 AM
SHR

5 posts, read 14,560 times
Clodhopper - your f-i-l sound terrific! On another thread I asked about Wilson so far no answer. I'm a widow wanting to get out of the rat race of Northern VA. Having looked up some of towns to see median age of 30 think I need something else. I like all kinds of diversity-including age!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or