Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:41 PM

43 posts, read 54,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Agreed with both of these. Definitely include W-S in your travels next time
Darn, I'm really bummed we couldn't fit it in - 5 days was just not long enough! Next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 AM

123 posts, read 241,139 times
To the OP, I enjoyed your analysis. You are such a colorful writer!

I have been considering a job with an NC based company and could work in either Charlotte or Raleigh, so have been exploring primarily Charlotte for about 6-7 weeks for a possible move. (Currently in a Greenville, SC suburb and open to a change).

With all of the newness in Charlotte, like Raleigh, the biggest feeling I have taken away from my visits that concerns me is the lack of a "sense of place" present in the NC metros. Outside of the core of Charlotte (and their $400/per square foot neighborhoods), the national chain corporations have been so dominant for this past decade while the growth has happened, so many areas look and feel like "Anytown, USA" to me.

I have also been shown neighborhoods in Charlotte where there were so many Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State, etc., emblems and flags on homes that I know I would not be comfortable with lots of those type of transplants (its a southern culture thing).

At this point I am about 75% sure I will not choose to move to NC, for reasons more based on my "gut" then my head!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:36 AM

536 posts, read 639,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw75 View Post

I have been considering a job with an NC based company and could work in either Charlotte or Raleigh, so have been exploring primarily Charlotte for about 6-7 weeks for a possible move. (Currently in a Greenville, SC suburb and open to a change).

With all of the newness in Charlotte, like Raleigh, the biggest feeling I have taken away from my visits that concerns me is the lack of a "sense of place" present in the NC metros. Outside of the core of Charlotte (and their $400/per square foot neighborhoods), the national chain corporations have been so dominant for this past decade while the growth has happened, so many areas look and feel like "Anytown, USA" to me.

I have also been shown neighborhoods in Charlotte where there were so many Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State, etc., emblems and flags on homes that I know I would not be comfortable with lots of those type of transplants (its a southern culture thing).

At this point I am about 75% sure I will not choose to move to NC, for reasons more based on my "gut" then my head!
Check out Winston-Salem before completely giving up on the state.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw75 View Post

Not knowing the location of the job in Charlotte, the area west of Charlotte might or might not work, logistically, but it's a blend. Many of the transplants are NC natives. Charlotte natives are moving west of Charlotte.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
Lived east of Charlotte for many years and it was sad to see much of its history demolished. The summer heat was difficult for me, it is draining if being outdoors is your thing. Moved to Asheville and found the sense of place that Charlotte lacked and a better climate for me and fantastic scenery. A drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway with dogwoods in bloom is beautiful! People very friendly here and there is a mix of old and new. Asheville still has a lot of its history intact. Be sure to at least visit, so much to do, worth your time! Hope you find your sweet spot.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:44 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Lived east of Charlotte for many years and it was sad to see much of its history demolished. The summer heat was difficult for me, it is draining if being outdoors is your thing. Moved to Asheville and found the sense of place that Charlotte lacked and a better climate for me and fantastic scenery. A drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway with dogwoods in bloom is beautiful! People very friendly here and there is a mix of old and new. Asheville still has a lot of its history intact. Be sure to at least visit, so much to do, worth your time! Hope you find your sweet spot.
If you consider history to be buildings then yes, Charlotte didn't preserve a lot. But history is much more than historic buildings, so to say that Charlotte has demolished its history is nonsense.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:50 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Why does there have to be anything unique about it to make it a good place to live?

Old 04-19-2015, 02:58 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Why does there have to be anything unique about it to make it a good place to live?
Well actually every place in the world has something unique about it.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Thank you to all the posters who had positive things to say about Winston-Salem.

I am visiting in a few weeks to get a better idea of this area and to check out an apartment I liked.

I will be moving there in September. Can't wait.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
There doesn't, but people usually don't want to live in Stepford, USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina