Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:06 PM

6 posts, read 5,335 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

Excellent forum!

I am currently living in NYC and I'm considering relocating to another state; NC happens to be a possibility.

I have never been to NC, but I am planning to visit second week in May.

My girlfriend and I would be moving together.

I am currently working at a public accounting firm in NYC. My gf is a LCSW and works for a for profit company in NYC.

We are willing to spend up $1400 to rent a two bedroom apartment.

We are willing to commute 10-15 miles to work.

We plan to have a child a year or two after we move. Eventually we would be looking at different public schools.

We are looking to live in a neighborhood that is reasonably quiet. We would prefer to live in a private home (or somewhere that 1 or maybe two other tenants share)to a building.

Community amenities are important to us, but would not be a deal breaker so to speak.

We are both 28 year old.

I prefer Raleigh to Charlotte based solely on distance to NYC where much of our families reside.

I am not sure this is relevant, but I'll throw it in nonetheless - both our families are from Jamaica.

My gf is a liberal and I'm a conservative.

Thank you in advance for your response, it is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 06:29 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
What are you looking for from this forum? Recommendations on where to live between Raleigh and Charlotte? I'm not sure how anyone could reasonably do that. Given what you described, there are many, many places to suggest...the Raleigh area, the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area and Charlotte. I think the location of your new job will drive the exact location, no?

Old 04-11-2015, 06:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcampbe View Post
I have never been to NC, but I am planning to visit second week in May.
Do that. Bring her with you. Stay for a week.

AFTERWARD... you might have a question or two.
Feel free.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
What are you looking for from this forum? Recommendations on where to live between Raleigh and Charlotte? I'm not sure how anyone could reasonably do that. Given what you described, there are many, many places to suggest...the Raleigh area, the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area and Charlotte. I think the location of your new job will drive the exact location, no?
I'm looking for places in NC that would best suit my lifestyle and preferences. You're probably right about the location of our new employer being the deciding factor. Ideally if we could identify an area that we would like to live first and then look for a job in the same area, that would be great. And I'm aware that there are a number of places to choose from, but if we could eliminate a few that would great. So far We've looked at Apex, Cary, Clayton, Wake Forest , Morissville, etc.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do that. Bring her with you. Stay for a week.

AFTERWARD... you might have a question or two.
Feel free.
Thank you. Not sure we'll be able to stay a full week, but we'll certainly try. Any recommendation on where to stay/visit?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Any recommendation on where to stay/visit?
Yeah... wherever you can find a job.

Focus on JOBS. Do your research.
Even without an invitation have 5 or 6 likely employers in mind in each city.
Be prepared to walk in and introduce yourself.

Where to live is the easy part... once you have a job.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for places in NC that would best suit my lifestyle and preferences. You're probably right about the location of our new employer being the deciding factor. Ideally if we could identify an area that we would like to live first and then look for a job in the same area, that would be great. And I'm aware that there are a number of places to choose from, but if we could eliminate a few that would great. So far We've looked at Apex, Cary, Clayton, Wake Forest , Morissville, etc.
And other than than a house in a quiet neighborhood you really haven't stated what those requirements are. You say you've "looked at " Cary, Clayton, Wake Forest, etc....does that men you visited them? What did you like or dislike about them?

Old 04-12-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
And other than than a house in a quiet neighborhood you really haven't stated what those requirements are. You say you've "looked at " Cary, Clayton, Wake Forest, etc....does that men you visited them? What did you like or dislike about them?
Other requirements includes being reasonably close to supermarkets, gym, shopping area, work, etc. A relatively low cost of living is also important. We're a pretty laid back couple. In a nutshell, we would prefer not to be in an area that is too congested. I have yet to visit NC. I've looked online for places that I think fits my criteria and Cary, Clayton, and Wake Forest stood out. Perhaps you could shed some light on that.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Well, you'll find dozens, if not hundreds, of cities and towns throughout NC that have supermarkets, gyms, shopping centers, etc., so that doesn't really help narrow it down. Certainly the places you mention have those. Your last criteria that you mentioned is the most important, work. I don't know how you can predict a specific house will be near a job you don't have yet.

The Triangle can be very congested, imo. But I don't really know what your definition of congested is. In general, the Triangle and Charlotte are more congested (meaning more intense development, more traffic, longer commutes) that the Triad area, and have higher housing costs. But if you live and work close to each other, or live and work in a smaller town outside the larger cities, congestion won't be an issue.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Thank you in advance for your response, it is greatly appreciated.
I don't see that you've asked any questions to have a "response" to...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina