U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 PM

27 posts, read 108,593 times

Advertisements

We live in Sanford, NC and I commute to Bragg which is 30-45 minutes and it takes about that long to get up to Apex, Cary and little bit longer to get to Raliegh Durham. But we like heading north than going down to Fayetteville. We'll be leaving in December and will have a house to sell. 3BR, 2BA, Bonus room, good yard, close to schools and Super Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 PM

983 posts, read 3,512,947 times
And then there's EAST of Fayetteville (yes, there IS another side of town!). The Eastover/Stedman area is just outside of town, close to a grocery store, 15-20 minutes to Walmart, etc. And MUCH better schools out in the country!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 AM

635 posts, read 2,731,954 times
Let me add my voice to the chorus of "check out Sanford"

We moved here from San Jose/Fremont CA(by way of a brief 1yr rental in Cary), and love it.

We are nearly equidistant from Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham/Cary, and Fayetteville, and have seen a great deal of investment over the last few years that is really improving the city. I feel like we are close enough to the major cities to take advantage of them, while just being far enough away to maintain "smart growth" versus sprawl and retain that small town feel.

You'll be able to afford a "mansion" for $300k in Sanford to some degree, or a normal house with lots of land.... maybe both

The drive to Fayetteville is about 30 minutes, but coming from many metro areas, that is a very reasonable commute for many people. Your own experience and opinion may vary of course though.

I currently commute from Sanford to East Raleigh, and my commute is just at 50 minutes.

Sanford is also in the midst of what I'd call a renaissance over the last few years, with a lot of new investment, creation of historic districts, renovation of the historic downtown, new schools, etc... again, all going at more of a "smart growth" versus hyper-growth that often isn't so great.

We even have our own newspaper And although a mid-sized city(about 30k pop), we do have all the fast-food joints, two small outdoor malls, a Super WalMart, Lowes, a mega-plex theater, and the standard assortment of grocery stores. BUT we also have a honest butcher shop, delis, and small town grocery stores. So it really is a pretty nice blend.

We've still got areas of improvement, and we're no finely groomed Cary, but I think folks moving into and investing in Sanford now are getting in early.

Good luck!
Al

Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 AM

31 posts, read 93,785 times
FYI
We have a 5+ acre piece of land advertized in the classified section of Citysearch. It has recently been reduced in price...One could put a very nice home and barn up and still not exceed 250k in the project. it averages about 30-35 minutes to Fayetteville, minutes from most everything you mentioned. 35 miutes to Raleigh/Cary.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-30-2008 at 05:30 AM..

Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,798 times
Hello! 2 years after this original post....I am in the same boat. Boyfriend got a job in Fayetteville and I am looking for employment in Raleigh. We want to live closer to Raleigh, but not have more than an hour commute for my boyfriend. I am a big city girl and need to be close to all the big city has to offer. The job in Fayetteville is only temporary (a year or so) and then he will move to Durham for work. He has family north of Raleigh so it really makes more sense to be closer to Raleigh (but not actually in Raleigh). I've read this forum many times, but all the posts are a few years old. I'm wondering if anything has changed. It looks like FV, Holly Springs and maybe Sanford are options (I say maybe for Sanford because it might be a little too far from the big city). I've also read about Garner and Lillington? I've never even visited NC so any advice would be helpful. Thank so much in advance for your assistance.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,217,139 times
There really is not good option. Someone is going to have a long commute. Sanford is probably the best compromise. It has major roads to Raleigh and Fayetteville. FV or Angier would be two lane backroads.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM

3,313 posts, read 5,159,659 times
Yeh, I would recommend Angier or FV just from the roads standpoint. There isn't a freeway nearby. So it is all two lanes. Which isn't always bad, but not when you need to get to somewhere asap.

I would say focus on the US 1 corridor. It gets nasty traffic wise near 440, but it is the best compromise.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,061,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax11 View Post
Hello! 2 years after this original post....I am in the same boat. Boyfriend got a job in Fayetteville and I am looking for employment in Raleigh. We want to live closer to Raleigh, but not have more than an hour commute for my boyfriend. I am a big city girl and need to be close to all the big city has to offer. The job in Fayetteville is only temporary (a year or so) and then he will move to Durham for work. He has family north of Raleigh so it really makes more sense to be closer to Raleigh (but not actually in Raleigh). I've read this forum many times, but all the posts are a few years old. I'm wondering if anything has changed. It looks like FV, Holly Springs and maybe Sanford are options (I say maybe for Sanford because it might be a little too far from the big city). I've also read about Garner and Lillington? I've never even visited NC so any advice would be helpful. Thank so much in advance for your assistance.
Having lived in Fayetteville for 15 years I liked it. I now live in Durham due to my wife going to Chapel Hill. I just wonder, if your boyfriend got a job in Fayetteville, why are you looking for a job in Raleigh? I would just rent a house in Fayetteville for the year and then move. Or rent in a town in between, like Lillington which would make the commute easier on both of you. Then branch out and buy a house in N. Durham which is easy access to the family via HWY 70 or HWY 98.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,737 times
If the job is located in Davison, which area willl be good to look for a medium house good for little kids (playground, school, shopping etc.) Budget around 25k.

Thank you very much for any input.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax11 View Post
Move to Raleigh and tell the boyfriend to suck it up and suffer a longer commute for one year. At least you'll get the best of one world at the expense of the other. If you live in the middle, he'll still have a pretty long commute and so will you. You'll also be in the middle of nowhere and probably hate your life (since you are a big city girl). Since he'll be working in Durham after a year or so, living between Raleigh and Fayetteville will be a bigger pain after the first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or