Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Yeah, 4 way stops are a real problem here.....turnabouts, now those would be fun here...I believe there's one on 485 headed towards the airport...fort mill exit maybe?
To be honest, I have never gotten off on that exit! LOL!!!! I do use 485, tho, and thank God every time I am on it that it was completed. Cut out at least 20 mins I would say = when I head to Hickory or the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM

379 posts, read 644,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You will probably learn right on red is ok when someone behind you is blaring their horn
LOL. A lot of the time the cars behind you won't beep. Even on green!!! They will just sit there with you and wait till u figure it out. Southern hospitality and all.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
In Texas, you can turn left on red onto a one way street, not on a normal 4 way intersection.
I have heard mixed answers about that.

I live Uptown and drive many one way streets.

I personally do turn left on red from a one way street only onto another one way street.

Have never been stopped or ticketed.

Wish I knew the legal answer if it is allowed or illegal in NC. I am from Winston-Salem and downtown on Main St, there is a stop light that has a sign posted "turn left on red" and irks me when they just sit there. The sign issued by the NC DOT tells you to turn left on red.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 01-17-2008 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I have heard mixed answers about that.

I live Uptown and drive many one way streets.

I personally do turn left on red from a one way street only onto another one way street.

Have never been stopped or ticketed.

Wish I knew the legal answer if it is allowed or illegal in NC. I am from Winston-Salem and downtown on Main St, there is a stop light that has a sign posted "turn left on red" and irks me when they just sit there. The sign issued by the NC DOT tells you to turn left on red.
Unless the law has changed recently, it is illegal to turn left in NC on a red light, even if it is a one-way street.

Maybe we have someone from Highway Patrol on our boards who can clarify that for sure . . . ?????

Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times
From Wiki Answers ... WikiAnswers - In which states is it legal to make a left turn at ...

"Left on red" typically means that after you have stopped and let other lawful traffic and pedestrians proceed, you may turn left into a one-way street with traffic heading to your left, from a one-way (and in some states even a two-way) street, and provided there is not a "red arrow" left signal or other sign prohibiting the turn. Otherwise, you must wait for an "indication to proceed" such as a green signal or a flashing signal (ref: Washington RCW 46.61.055).

In the 2003 edition of the AAA Digest of Motor Laws, the state safety chart shows (somewhat inaccurately) that it is legal to turn left on red in all but the following states (and city):

1. Connecticut
2. Missouri
3. New York City (where there is no turn allowed on red)
4. North Carolina
5. Rhode Island
6. Vermont

... unless otherwise posted or directed by a police officer.

Further research indicates that New Hampshire law only allows "left on red" where an official sign permits it (RSA 265:10 (III)(b), 1982), and that Massachusetts does not permit "left on red" from a two-way street (89 MGL s.8), and Vermont actually DOES permit left on red (23 VSA s.1022).

And from Wikipedia ... Right turn on red - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right turn on red (RTOR) is a principle of law permitting vehicles at a traffic light showing red to turn right (after a complete stop) when the roadway is clear. RTOR has been practiced in the western United States for more than 50 years, with the eastern states adopting the law in the 1970s.

All 50 states as well as the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico have allowed right turns on red since January 1, 1980, unless a sign otherwise prohibits this, such as "No Turn On Red" or a No Right Turn symbol with the words On Red or a red arrow or red light symbol. In the 1970s, some states instituted the practice to save fuel (see 1973 oil crisis and 1979 energy crisis).

Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Unless the law has changed recently, it is illegal to turn left in NC on a red light, even if it is a one-way street.

Maybe we have someone from Highway Patrol on our boards who can clarify that for sure . . . ?????
I am unsure.

And only in Winston-Salem have I ever saw a sign that tell you to turn left on red. It is turning left from Main St. downtown onto Business I-40. The sign has been there for years and years and is issued by the NC DOT.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:14 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,290 times
Coming out to South Blvd from the I-485 Light Rail Station. The intersection is divided into straight and left turn on the left side and right turn on the right with a small island between. Both have stoplights. I took the right and stopped obeying the light but the people behind me blew their horns. I stood my ground. Red light means stop. Obviously they don't want you to turn right with a red light in the right lane directly overhead. When the light changed some knucklehead rolled down his window and yelled "right on red" and shot me the bird!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You will probably learn right on red is ok when someone behind you is blaring their horn

That's how I learned. The man behind me was blaring out of control. I went on line and check the dmv website to see whether it was ok.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:09 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
I took the right and stopped obeying the light but the people behind me blew their horns. I stood my ground. Red light means stop. Obviously they don't want you to turn right with a red light in the right lane directly overhead. When the light changed some knucklehead rolled down his window and yelled "right on red" and shot me the bird!
Unless there is a No Turn On Red sign that guy was right. Once oncoming traffic clears you can make the turn.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
I seem to remember NC going to "right on red" in the early to mid 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina