U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 17,443 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving to the Hickory or Charlotte area. But when I researched the weather it says they get 48 inches of rainfall a year.
Is this a every day drizzle like Oregon (willamette valley) or rain from a sudden thundrstorm, where it rains very hard for a short while and then is over?
I live in Southern California now, and I'm wondering if we can take that much rain. Can any of you California people that have moved to NC tell me how it is??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 11:26 AM

325 posts, read 991,905 times
We've actually gone up to a month without measurable rain here in central and eastern NC. I've lived in NC all of my life, and I don't feel it rains a whole lot. You can take that for what it's worth, but I guess 48" does sound like a lot. It isn't really though, when we get a couple of inches in a hour here and there from summer storms. Now, the southern mountains, near where SC, GA, and NC all meet, receive nearly twice the amount of rain than the rest of the state due to the topography and the wind currents moving across high ridges forming clouds and rain.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 AM

44,880 posts, read 56,368,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmission View Post
We are seriously considering moving to the Hickory or Charlotte area. But when I researched the weather it says they get 48 inches of rainfall a year.
Is this a every day drizzle like Oregon (willamette valley) or rain from a sudden thundrstorm, where it rains very hard for a short while and then is over?
I live in Southern California now, and I'm wondering if we can take that much rain. Can any of you California people that have moved to NC tell me how it is??

This is NOT an every day occurrance Most of the time the weather here is sunny and pleasant. When we do get rain we can sometimes get it heavy for a day and other times just short showers that dump a half an inch or so. This is why our state is so green and lush by the way

Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 PM

442 posts, read 1,202,545 times
Quote:
It rains a lot total, but not constantly. You'll get an inch of rain in a thunderstorm in the afternoon that lasts an hour, but the rest of the day is partly to mostly sunny. It's NOT like Seattle.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM

2,481 posts, read 6,009,837 times
Quote:

Hey there msmission: I live just outside of Charlotte on the SC side. My husband's family lives in Portland, and we moved here from Southern CA. While I love OR...I know that I would not be able to stand the constant drizzle. We have lived here close to 3 years now and the amount of rain has never been a problem to me. It's been more of a Huge Downfall and then...okay all done....time for the sun to come back out now.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:50 PM

889 posts, read 2,127,753 times
Quote:
I am a Calif. transplant myself but not in your neck of the woods-Sunny So.Cal.!! I was from the Central Coast so in the summer there were a lot of foggy,drizzly days. I did not miss that at all this summer and welcomed the heat and humidity!!!As far as the rain goes, like everyone else has already stated, it may sound like a lot but it just comes down hard and heavy for about an hour then its done and gone. It was different for me at first because it simply does not rain in Calif. in the summer at all . So that took a little getting used to and also the thunder and lightning that goes on throughout the summer.Never does that either in Calif. in the summer. Nothing to worry over thats for sure, it was so not a problem

Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 PM

2,657 posts, read 4,983,167 times
Quote:
Aside from the hurricanes that drop many inches of water on some parts, fall seems to be the rainy season around here. I, for one, welcome the moisture. There are so many pine trees around, with their shallow root systems, that droughts (like the nasty one we had in the late 90s thru 2002 http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2005/5053/) caused the foundations of the pines to be weak. In succeeding winters, when we had one of our periodic ice storms, those trees came down.

There's usually one part of the state or other that is too wet or too dry. Right now, one of the southwestern counties is listed as Abnormally Dry http://www.ncdrought.org/ Considering the way some growing areas are fighting over water (Concord/Kannapolis wants to tap the Hickory area's water supply) a steady amount of rain would be welcome.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:38 PM

505 posts, read 1,645,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Aside from the hurricanes that drop many inches of water on some parts, fall seems to be the rainy season around here. I, for one, welcome the moisture. There are so many pine trees around, with their shallow root systems, that droughts (like the nasty one we had in the late 90s thru 2002 http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2005/5053/) caused the foundations of the pines to be weak. In succeeding winters, when we had one of our periodic ice storms, those trees came down.

There's usually one part of the state or other that is too wet or too dry. Right now, one of the southwestern counties is listed as Abnormally Dry http://www.ncdrought.org/ Considering the way some growing areas are fighting over water (Concord/Kannapolis wants to tap the Hickory area's water supply) a steady amount of rain would be welcome.
Actually, fall is the dry season around here (according to numbers, October is the driest month). Winter is the season that has the most cloudy and cold dreary days. Spring and summer have the T-storms that dump tons of rain over an hour, then the sun comes out.

By far it is sunny here most of the time, nothing like the northwest...at all.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 5,001,173 times
NC's rainfall is pretty evenly distributed (pretty much) throughout the year. It's not like OR or WA with lots of clouds and drizzle. But it's not like CA with the "wet" and "dry" seasons that contribute to the bad mudslides and wildfires. We get lots of sun, and it's nice most of the time, with some thunderstorms in the summer months. Overall, an awesome 4-season climate!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,880,917 times
Yeah, there's a reason North Carolina is called "Sunny NC". We can have all day rains (as we did a couple days ago) and brief heavy downpours in the spring and Summer, but we get more sun than rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina