Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Fiance and I are trying to figure out where to move when done with LPN school. We were considering South Carolina because we been there a lot, have family there, and love the area. However, Fiance has only driven through North Carolina and only time I have been there was when I went to the Outer Bank's, when I was young.

Is cost of living better in North Carolina? Weather similar or any differences? For people who love the outdoors would you recommend North Carolina? Is North Carolina a better economy. Only thing I really know about NC is Elizabeth City, Outer Bank's, and NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
For the most part, the weather isn't too different between the two states. Raleigh is extremely hot and humid like Columbia, although Charleston probably takes the prize for being the most hot/humid. Both states don't see a lot of snow for the most part (certain areas of the NC mountains like Boone are an exception). I'd imagine the cost of living being cheaper in SC but it's probably pretty close in NC. If you're curious about general differences, the major metros of NC have been more "transplant saturated" for a longer period of time. Areas like Raleigh/Durham are even more different from rural areas of NC (compared to the past), they are populated by many folks who aren't originally from NC or the South as a whole. This isn't quite the case in SC, but SC seems to be going down that path. The Charleston area has been attracting many transplants, and the whole SC coast has tons of retirees like Florida. Therefore, SC is seen as "more southern" along with being Deep South. To wrap up, NC has been a little more "New South" for a longer period of time, and it's becoming more suburban in general (Raleigh in particular seems to be known for attracting families wishing to settle down). That's all I can really say in a general way, and I'd definitely recommend both states for people who love the outdoors.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:37 PM

353 posts, read 604,174 times
I lived in eastern SC and eastern NC and the only difference between the two was the license plates. Same weather, same people, same economy.

You'll find in both states that there will be some really affordable areas to live, and then some extremely expensive ones. Rural areas of both states are cheap living, "better" cities are expensive.

Both states offer plenty of outdoor activity, but summers in the middle and eastern regions are extremely hot and humid in both states. The western part, in the mountains, *probably* offer more months that you can truly enjoy being outside, but I'm stating that as an opinion and not a fact.

Schools in both states are pretty bad, so if you have kids or plan to have kids that might be an issue. SC schools were always historically bad (our education motto while I was there was "Thank God for Mississippi", since it was the only state ever ranked lower) but NC is managing to drop down to SC levels now.

In the end, go where the two of you can find jobs. Figure out if you want to be closer to the coast or the mountains, and narrow things down from there. But make your job search priority number one.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
In the end, go where the two of you can find jobs.
THIS.

We can't tell you whether you "should" move to NC, or SC, or any other state...look for job listings, investigate whether that area is somewhere you are interested in, whichever "Carolina" it's in ( or other state). You should never move to a state you know little about unless a job is pulling you there--but you can learn about it, visit it, and then come here to ask more specific questions about particular areas (not entire states).

Old 05-15-2015, 02:26 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
I lived in eastern SC and eastern NC and the only difference between the two was the license plates. Same weather, same people, same economy.

You'll find in both states that there will be some really affordable areas to live, and then some extremely expensive ones. Rural areas of both states are cheap living, "better" cities are expensive.

Both states offer plenty of outdoor activity, but summers in the middle and eastern regions are extremely hot and humid in both states. The western part, in the mountains, *probably* offer more months that you can truly enjoy being outside, but I'm stating that as an opinion and not a fact.

Schools in both states are pretty bad, so if you have kids or plan to have kids that might be an issue. SC schools were always historically bad (our education motto while I was there was "Thank God for Mississippi", since it was the only state ever ranked lower) but NC is managing to drop down to SC levels now.

In the end, go where the two of you can find jobs. Figure out if you want to be closer to the coast or the mountains, and narrow things down from there. But make your job search priority number one.
You can't seriously make a statement like "schools in both states are pretty bad" when there is a wide variety of schools ranging from excellent to poor. Even the worst school system will usually have at least a couple of good schools. The schools are not monolithic across an entire state.

I guess you're referring to the recent problems with funding and teacher pay in the state of NC, but that doesn't make the schools "bad". It could over a long period of time, but these politicians that are in office won't be there long enough to make that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina