Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 PM

22 posts, read 90,740 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I would highly appreciate your honest advice and opinions for my relocation to NC.

I am a Professional Massage Therapist, single, no children. I work doing an outcall service, but would love to have an incall service in my own home. I would love a city close to the mountains or close to the beach.

One of the reasons I want to leave my city and state is that I have too much competition here. You can find around 3 to 4 spas in the same block. And add the chiropractors offices that offer massage, in that same block!! Also, you can find around 30 people offering outcall service in the same city. It's crazy! I don't know how all this people and places can make lots of profits and enough money to make a living! and add the recession we have right now.

I would like to know which city in North Carolina is the best to work and to live, which one has enough population to get good number of clients and of course, doesn't have this kind of crazy competition!

I really like Asheville, but I'm afraid doesn't have enough population to get good clientele. And I don't know how it is in winter, if it gets too slow, etc. How is Sneads Ferry?

Please, I really need your honest advice and opinion.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
either area you will get mainly seasonal clients Asheville has more substain amount of locals in the off season.

Whatever ideas you think will work best nine times out of ten someone has already thought about it.

Look at phone book websites and determine if you have to much competition in any city you desire.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 AM

Thank you for your response.

Seasonal, that means, in summer? what would be the worst seasons and the best seasons for work?

So asheville would be good place to work even in the low season?

Thanks again!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
If your goal is to catch tourists traffic yet locals for the off season Asheville and Wilmington area are prime areas for tourists in this state that does not totally die in the off season. Sneads Ferry is beautiful area but unless your clients plan on being fishermen during the off season I would not suggest it

Again I thought there was a lack of personal services in the Outer Banks this past Spring.
I added on to my post but I will share again look up in online phonebook and determine if the area you are interested is to saturated in your profeesion to your goal.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:43 AM

Oh yes, that's obviously a part of my research.

But I don't understand something: some people have told me that in winter is desolated there. Why? if there are the great mountains for skiing, that would be actually a good time, right? and in the others seasons for hiking, right?

So from 1 to 10, (1 the worst place, 10 the best place), what number you would give for my professional situation moving out to the Asheville area?

I guess Sneads Ferry is not a good choice for me! haha!

Thank you again!!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,430,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyelina View Post
But I don't understand something: some people have told me that in winter is desolated there. Why? if there are the great mountains for skiing, that would be actually a good time, right? and in the others seasons for hiking, right?
There are only a small number of ski resorts, with a 99% dependence on man made snow. Most skiers are either people that live in the area (transplants as I don't know any natives that ski) and day trippers from Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. Aside from the Christmas decorations at the Biltmore house in December, there isn't any other draw here after the fall colors are gone.

Quote:
So from 1 to 10, (1 the worst place, 10 the best place), what number you would give for my professional situation moving out to the Asheville area?
Asheville is overrun with massage therapists.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,163 times
Just wondering what area, city and state, you lived in that was so saturated? I am looking to leave the north Carolina area

Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 PM

13,336 posts, read 26,813,142 times
Quote:
I would like to know which city in North Carolina is the best to work and to live, which one has enough population to get good number of clients and of course, doesn't have this kind of crazy competition!
Pardon my ignorance, but who are your likely clients? Would they be young, athletic types who hurt themselves, or older people with back problems, older athletes, etc??

If you look at some demographics like age, Jacksonville has many young athletes, and Leland has many older people. Which would be better for you?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM

436 posts, read 667,416 times
Do not consider Asheville unless you have a nice bankroll to cover you for quite sometime. I know many massage therapists there. Very few, even among the very experienced, are able to support themselves with just massage income. Part time jobs pay little and are very few so you can not count of supplementing income easily.

On the other hand, every massage therapist I know in the Triangle is able to support themselves (modestly) solely from massage income.

Unless you sign on to a busy spa or clinic it will take time and money to develop a steady clientele. Even at a busy place it still takes time to gain enough work to support yourself.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 PM

772 posts, read 360,790 times
You folks realize that this a 4½ year old thread, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina