Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Urban vs Suburban vs Rual
Urban: I need everything close by 10 40.00%
suburban: I like a little more elbow room 11 44.00%
Rural: I need a pure country setting, love extra acres of land 5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:54 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,026,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Because personally I'd rather see a unique local retailer in walkable areas and leave the chain stores to the massive parking lots. I just think it's boring and corporate and predictable and taking away from something that could be great with locally owned businesses in there. BUT whether it's Target or a local shop, I still don't think having a store downtown is the major defining characteristic of an urban center. I was responding to this statement:

I ask y'all, are Chapel Hill and Carrboro "urban"? I don't really think so. They're walkable and I love that, but I wouldn't classify them as urban centers. But they very definitely do have retail, residential and business all downtown. They don't have Target, but do have wonderful non-chain retailers as well as some chains. They do have groceries. They're not urban.
The most healthy retail areas have a mix of national chains and locally owned shops. There is nothing at all wrong with national chain stores, but you don't want them to be the only option...that's when it becomes less interesting.

Walkability is just one aspect of urbanity. Can an area be urban without hyper-density? Yes. Can an area be urban without convenient walkability? Yes. It may not be perfect urbanity, but it can definitely be urban. I think you are defining "urban" a little too narrow. It has to do with both the built environment and the density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 01:57 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,649,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The most healthy retail areas have a mix of national chains and locally owned shops. There is nothing at all wrong with national chain stores, but you don't want them to be the only option...that's when it becomes less interesting.

Walkability is just one aspect of urbanity. Can an area be urban without hyper-density? Yes. Can an area be urban without convenient walkability? Yes. It may not be perfect urbanity, but it can definitely be urban. I think you are defining "urban" a little too narrow. It has to do with both the built environment and the density.
I agree concerning built environment & density. Location is also involved. If the town is in a metro it's a suburb. It might or might not be an urban suburb. There's also perception. Gastonia is perceived as a more urban suburb of Charlotte than some of the other suburbs.

The OP asks if you prefer urban, suburban, or rural. Anyone living in an incorporated municipality in a metro is either in the principle urban municipality/municipalities or a suburb. It is possible for the suburb to also be classified as urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina