Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 8,570 times

Advertisements

Hi friends

Going to be as transparent as I truly need honest and open advice. I have a family of 6 residing in NJ (black British) with three high school kids and one in college.

We are looking to move to NC very very soon and need a community/city/town where the family can settle pretty easy, so really I trying to get information on community, school, diversity and all the things that make life peaceful and enjoyable.

Option (1) Working in downtown Charlotte, where are the best places to reside.
Option (2) Working in the RTP area (Cary), where are the best places to reside.

Question: Work location
Answer: Option (1) Cary / Option (2) Charottle

Question: How much willing to spend on housing
Answer: $250K - $300K

Question: Acceptable commute time
Answer: 30min drive each way

Question: Kids: Private school or public school? :
Answer: Public School

Question: Neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? :
Answer: Really flexible, kids will be off to college soon, then it will be me and my wife, will want to be going out more, movies, dinner etc

Question: Community amenities important to you
Answer: Not that important

Thanks

Last edited by ilesha; 05-29-2015 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Added more details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
So Greg has gone off to college while Marcia, Peter, and Jan are still in high school? Super cool!

Old 05-29-2015, 05:04 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
You might have better luck posting two separate questions on the Raleigh and Charlotte boards.

You gave more information than most but probably still need some more...by "flexible" do you mean you don't really need "top-rated" schools? How big of a house do you need...I'm guessing at least 4 bedrooms? Or less if the kids will be at college soon?

If you do want a 4+ BR home with "good" schools with a 30 minute commute or less, in Charlotte in particular that may be tough if commuting uptown. Not as familiar with Raleigh but I'd guess since the work location is RTP that you'd probably have options in the Cary/Apex area.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:31 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,285 times
The best high schools are in Cary (2) according to U.S. News. (Top 1000 high schools USA), Matthews, NC has one also.

IMO, Charlotte has more Rednecks than Cary. I would choose the RTP over Charlotte.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The best high schools are in Cary (2) according to U.S. News. (Top 1000 high schools USA), Matthews, NC has one also.
Huh? If you're basing solely on US News' rankings which you shouldn't be doing to begin with, in RTP there are 2 Chapel Hill HS's and 1 in Carrboro ranked higher than the highest Cary one.

Marvin Ridge is in the Charlotte area (although over 30 minutes to uptown) and also higher than the highest Cary one. There are also 2 actually in Charlotte and 1 other one in the area (Cuthbertson) in addition to the one in Matthews that you brought up that are ranked higher than the second Cary one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina