U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 78,920 times
Default Looking to price an acre of land in NC

Can anybody help me to find out what an acre of land costs in general in North Carolina. I think the area would be rocky mount or nashville. My mother has an acre of land and I would like to purchase it at a fair price for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:08 PM

18,326 posts, read 26,584,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspyatt View Post
Can anybody help me to find out what an acre of land costs in general in North Carolina. I think the area would be rocky mount or nashville. My mother has an acre of land and I would like to purchase it at a fair price for her.
PP,
The condition and location of the land will be huge determinants. The value and price can vary widely.

Is it wooded, cleared, or partially cleared?

Does it have a good perk site for septic, or is it on city services?

Are Electricity and natural gas readily available?

Is it in flood plain?

Is it on a paved road, dirt lane, no access, or facing a busy highway?

Is there a nuisance, like a hog farm, or a chicken brooder house on the next property?

What is the zoning? Can it be subdivided?

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:13 PM

Default price of purchasing an acre of land in NC

I am trying to find out the general price of purchasing an acre of land in NC. My mother has an acre and I would like to purchase it and give her a fair price. Please point me in a direction to find this information...

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 2,896,311 times
Princesspyatt,
You need to start a new thread because your question is not likely to be answered here (meaning no one may see it)....

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:26 PM

Thank you for replying. It is wooded and off of a paved (county I believe) road. My uncle has a house on the plot next door so I believe the ability to have services is there or I can't imagine how he has been living. It can be subdivided because she used to own more and the family sold it over the years. There are no pigs or cows nearby that I have ever seen, just woods. What would be in your opinion the worst and/or best prices for an acre of wooded land sitting in the middle of nowhere, which is how I can best describe it. Also, would the woods be able to be sold and how does one do that? (which is how it is cleared right?)

Unread 01-20-2008, 08:16 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,402,534 times
Quote:
Thank you for replying. It is wooded and off of a paved (county I believe) road. My uncle has a house on the plot next door so I believe the ability to have services is there or I can't imagine how he has been living. It can be subdivided because she used to own more and the family sold it over the years. There are no pigs or cows nearby that I have ever seen, just woods. What would be in your opinion the worst and/or best prices for an acre of wooded land sitting in the middle of nowhere, which is how I can best describe it. Also, would the woods be able to be sold and how does one do that? (which is how it is cleared right?)
A forester (check the phone book for a name or two) will come to your property and tell you what you could reasonably be expected to net from the sale of your lumber, our forester charged us nothing, he is paid by the timber company that will clear the land. Some grading companies will deduct the price of the wood from the cost of the clearing and leveling and drive construction. The cost/acre will differ from county to county ie. two acres in Guilford county will be more expensive than 2 acres in Caswell. The best bet would be to check the local paper and get a feel for what land is bringing in that area. Make sure the land perks before you buy it!

Unread 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM

5,658 posts, read 16,843,483 times
Quote:
I would first take a look at the official property tax record to see what the appraised value is already. It will probably be listed with the Nash County or Edgecombe County Tax Office. It's all public records.

Nash County Tax Department

Edgecombe County Property Tax Website Welcome Page

Last edited by mm34b; 01-22-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Unread 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,795,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I would first take a look at the official property tax record to see what the appraised value is already. It will probably be listed with the Nash County or Edgecombe County Tax Office. It's all public records.

Nash County Tax Department

Edgecombe County Property Tax Website Welcome Page
Good advice. The value on an acre of land can vary from one end of the State to the other so the tax records are THE best documents to use as a delta. An acre of land here in Sampson County can range anywhere from $6,000 to $35,000. This is what we saw when we were looking to buy acreage out here.

Unread 02-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Thank you all for your assistance, you have truly been a blessing to me. I was able to successfully find the actual property and assessment price information based upon all the good advice. I really appreciate the help. PrincessPyatt

Unread 01-22-2010, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 16,481 times
Question price on wooded land

looking for a quote on wooded land by the acre outside the city limits. est.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina