U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 21,171 times

Advertisements

I represent a small group of messianic believers who are looking for a small town in North Carolina for the following reason:
A Vision has been given to us to gather some of the Latter-Days' Saints in a Location Apart, in a small town, to create a self-sustained community, our heavenly village on earth, an oasis of edenic refuge for believers, where the fast-paced clock of urban sprawls is reversed to take life back to the Good Life it used to be: small, slow, free of crimes, and safe for families with children; a place with a lot of natural areas, outdoor recreation, broad panoramic views, peaceful sunsets; a village free from congestion, endless and tiring commuting, polluting manufacturing plants, tourism resorts, street prostitution, prisons, careless local government policies influenced by big-money-hungry developers and the private sector.
We want to be able to grow organic corn, various vegetables, and have our orchard of peaches, nectarines, strawberries, etc., to be somewhat self-sufficient before things begin to fall apart. This Set-Apart Location or Location Apart is a sanctuary for both wildlife and tired souls. This is a return to sanity. We'd like a rural town not more than 45 minutes to a major city where we can work and do commerce. The quality of education is also important.
We'd appreciate if anybody could help us find that town in NC. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times
There are oodles of small counties I would suggest is Davidson, Randolph, Rockingham or Surry, Moore, Anson.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,055 times
There are lots of wide open spaces in Montgomery,Moore,and Randolph Counties.Montgomery is a quiet town not alot as far as industry,but a nice place to live if you like small town country living.Most jobs would be between 20 & 45 mins. away.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,548,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shofar View Post
I represent a small group of messianic believers who are looking for a small town in North Carolina for the following reason:
A Vision has been given to us to gather some of the Latter-Days' Saints in a Location Apart, in a small town, to create a self-sustained community, our heavenly village on earth, an oasis of edenic refuge for believers, where the fast-paced clock of urban sprawls is reversed to take life back to the Good Life it used to be: small, slow, free of crimes, and safe for families with children; a place with a lot of natural areas, outdoor recreation, broad panoramic views, peaceful sunsets; a village free from congestion, endless and tiring commuting, polluting manufacturing plants, tourism resorts, street prostitution, prisons, careless local government policies influenced by big-money-hungry developers and the private sector.
We want to be able to grow organic corn, various vegetables, and have our orchard of peaches, nectarines, strawberries, etc., to be somewhat self-sufficient before things begin to fall apart. This Set-Apart Location or Location Apart is a sanctuary for both wildlife and tired souls. This is a return to sanity. We'd like a rural town not more than 45 minutes to a major city where we can work and do commerce. The quality of education is also important.
Good luck in your search but I am not encouraged that you will find it here. Perhaps your vision was distorted or incorrect.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM

217 posts, read 1,031,897 times
I agree, I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for here. Maybe a midwestern state? Not sure...good luck though.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shofar View Post
My pick would be Yadkin county.

Yadkin County North Carolina - Home

Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
When you say - LDS - you mean - as in Mormon? Or as in some branch of LDS?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM

934 posts, read 990,911 times
I don't know if NC would provide you the environment that your group seeks.

Most communities where you might be able to locate would be rural areas (probably western NC), which tend to have very deep rooted mainstream Christian beliefs- I don't think anyone would object to quiet peaceful neighbors ( wish I could trade some of mine for you!) but I think the objections would be with your religion rather than your actual lifestyle (does that make sense?)

Since you don't say how large the group is, its harder to guesstimate- if its one of two families who work regular jobs and seem 'normal' (sorry for the use of the word-I'm not trying to imply your not normal..now I've stuck my foot in my mouth! lol) it would be easier...If your group is 20 families strong and live in a communal environment, it would probably be more difficult to find acceptance.

I'm Christian, and try to treat others as I want to be treated- that includes freedom of religion- just because I don't 'approve' or its not what I believe, doesn't mean you shouldn't have the right to worship how you want.

Good luck to you in your search for a new home. I've been in NC my entire life, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 AM

7 posts, read 21,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I don't know if NC would provide you the environment that your group seeks.

Most communities where you might be able to locate would be rural areas (probably western NC), which tend to have very deep rooted mainstream Christian beliefs- I don't think anyone would object to quiet peaceful neighbors ( wish I could trade some of mine for you!) but I think the objections would be with your religion rather than your actual lifestyle (does that make sense?)

Since you don't say how large the group is, its harder to guesstimate- if its one of two families who work regular jobs and seem 'normal' (sorry for the use of the word-I'm not trying to imply your not normal..now I've stuck my foot in my mouth! lol) it would be easier...If your group is 20 families strong and live in a communal environment, it would probably be more difficult to find acceptance.

I'm Christian, and try to treat others as I want to be treated- that includes freedom of religion- just because I don't 'approve' or its not what I believe, doesn't mean you shouldn't have the right to worship how you want.

Good luck to you in your search for a new home. I've been in NC my entire life, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you for your kind Christian words spoken with love. We are Messianic Jews. We believe in the redeeming blood of Yahshua the Messiah, the Lamb of Elohim, Savior of the World, the Redeemer of mankind through whom salvation comes from the Heavenly Father, but we also follow the Torah.

We are answering to the call of Revelation 18:4. We can see menacing clouds gathering over the horizon; we are thus inspired to do something different to prepare ourselves for Messiah's return, whether it takes a 1,000 more years or not. Each day that passes raises the possibility of the last trumpet.

Our Community is not a so-called gated community , a gated retirement center, like some rich folks have designed to protect themselves from, so they say, crimes. We live in open space. There are no walls. We'd prefer to have our own schools, if this was possible. Our children, though, are still getting a rich experience in the public and private schools. We work regular jobs; but perfer to run our own businesses. Who would not? We are nurses, doctors, educators, homemakers, bus drivers, mechanics, realtors, etc. We are less strict than the Amish in regard to the use of technology and a lot of other things that the world has to offer.

What religion anybody or group practices, surely is not of our businesses. Our ancestors had to flee England, France, and the rest of Europe to find religious freedom. Those who revert to the dark ages of religious persecution certainly do not belong in America. We certainly cannot say someone is abnormal because he does certain things differently. Your comments are well received. Thank you for your offer to help.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,593,922 times
shofar - I know that it is not your intent to discuss religion in this post, only to find real estate. I don't know your reasoning for choosing NC. I would like to suggest that you post this as well in the Religion thread. Someone of the Jewish faith and denomination might know of more accepting areas that fulfill your requirements for space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina