Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:10 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,981,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not personally familiar with Moravians, but they came down from Bethlehem, PA. I was in the Philadelphia metro.

A lot of people mistake tolerance for liberal. I have known a great many conservative but tolerant individuals there.

I know about the Quakers in the Triad. I'm descended from one of the early families.
Winston-Salem is the epicenter for Moravians but also has a large number of Quakers as well. Salem was founded by Moravian settlers in 1753, and Moravians are fairly similar to Quakers in their tolerance and conscientious objection to war/violence.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:14 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,335,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
According to who? Who makes this decision?
What "decision" are you referring to?

Quote:
How does multiple partners affect heterosexual or homosexual marriage?
It doesn't. I didn't say it did. Why do you ask?

Quote:
What about a man-woman-woman marriage? Surely arrangements could also be made for 3 people who are of sound mind and love each other to marry.
As I stated, there are public policy reasons for banning polygamy.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:30 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,070,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
What "decision" are you referring to?

It doesn't. I didn't say it did. Why do you ask?

As I stated, there are public policy reasons for banning polygamy.
What are the public policy reasons to ban polygamy?

I would probably agree with whatever reasons you come up with on polygamy. Just the same as there are reasons people see marriage as between one man and one woman.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:47 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,461,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Winston-Salem is the epicenter for Moravians but also has a large number of Quakers as well. Salem was founded by Moravian settlers in 1753, and Moravians are fairly similar to Quakers in their tolerance and conscientious objection to war/violence.
I'm descended from the Quaker who Jamestown was named for. I think that Quakers around Winston-Salem might be from another group who had left the Delaware Valley for Virginia, near the Shenandoah Valley, & later came down to NC.

Old Salem is very nice. But we digress. . .

Old 06-14-2015, 05:04 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,335,289 times
Quote:
What are the public policy reasons to ban polygamy?
https://verdict.justia.com/2011/07/2...uld-be-illegal

"Utah has declared polygamy illegal, and for good public-policy reasons. When practiced in a community, it leads to the necessity of each man looking to younger and younger women, and the abandonment of some of the boys to make the odds work for the men."

Ted Olsen, Solicitor General of the US, before the US Supreme Court:

"Olson tried to set up a clear distinction between same-sex marriage and polygamy, suggesting that the kinds of governmental interests that justify a prohibition of polygamy are irrelevant in the case of same-sex marriage.

The Court has said, he contended, that polygamy raises “questions about exploitation, abuse, patriarchy, issues with respect to taxes, inheritance, child custody” and therefore “is an entirely different thing” than same-sex marriage."

Polygamy Is a Step in the Wrong Direction - NYTimes.com

"Polygamy is associated with higher rates of domestic violence, psychological distress, co-wife conflict, and greater control of women, according to research by the Brown University political scientist Rose McDermott."

"...research suggests that children in polygamous families do worse educationally and psychologically than their peers in monogamous families."

Old 06-14-2015, 05:18 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,070,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
https://verdict.justia.com/2011/07/2...uld-be-illegal

"Utah has declared polygamy illegal, and for good public-policy reasons. When practiced in a community, it leads to the necessity of each man looking to younger and younger women, and the abandonment of some of the boys to make the odds work for the men."

Ted Olsen, Solicitor General of the US, before the US Supreme Court:

"Olson tried to set up a clear distinction between same-sex marriage and polygamy, suggesting that the kinds of governmental interests that justify a prohibition of polygamy are irrelevant in the case of same-sex marriage.

The Court has said, he contended, that polygamy raises “questions about exploitation, abuse, patriarchy, issues with respect to taxes, inheritance, child custody” and therefore “is an entirely different thing” than same-sex marriage."

Polygamy Is a Step in the Wrong Direction - NYTimes.com

"Polygamy is associated with higher rates of domestic violence, psychological distress, co-wife conflict, and greater control of women, according to research by the Brown University political scientist Rose McDermott."

"...research suggests that children in polygamous families do worse educationally and psychologically than their peers in monogamous families."
Like I said, I agree with you on polygamy.....now take everything you just posted and it can be applied to the defense of traditional marriage 10 or 20 years ago.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:25 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,981,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm descended from the Quaker who Jamestown was named for. I think that Quakers around Winston-Salem might be from another group who had left the Delaware Valley for Virginia, near the Shenandoah Valley, & later came down to NC.

Old Salem is very nice. But we digress. . .
The Triad Quakers settled in Greensboro/Guilford County in the mid 1750s and spread through the area over the years. Guilford College was founded by the Society of Friends and Greensboro itself is some king of Southeastern HQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina