U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,532 times

Advertisements

Its funny because at this time, I live in Florida and moved from Jersey. I feel like I am at home with a year round sun tan. I have spent most of my adult life getting away from Jersey as I was born and raised there but could not wait to get out of there. Went to Louisana but moved back to jersey so my mom could be with my kids and while starving due to high costs, we decided to move to Florida. UGHHHHHHHHH starving here too. I am right on the border of Orlando and let me tell you.................I meet more NYorkers here and Jersians than Floridians. I just want a small town with no fuss and no buss and want to calm the lifestyle down. I want a place where there are real morals and values set and not be in a place where you are forced to accept all this immorallity. Hate it totally.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
My husband and I have our house up for sale right now. We will be relocating to the Charlotte area. I was born and raised in So Cal, and am excited and scared at the same time. The saving grace is that my brother in law and his family live in Charlotte and my husband spent 10 years growing up in Atlanta. I have been back 3 times on vacation and it is absolutely beautiful. It was a huge decision for us and I actually wrote pro's and con's down on paper. We are lucky enough that we will be able to buy our house outright. That’s the biggest pro of all; I am 40 and my husband 50. Life is too short and in 10 or 15 years from now we didn't want to say "what if"? It took a couple months of convincing but I agreed. I love photography, especially shooting old barns and abandoned houses, which are abundant in the south. I may have time to actually work on selling or publishing my photography and hopefully my husband will be able to work with cars in one way or another, the automobile is his passion. Quite a huge difference from the IT industry might as well do what you enjoy. Of course there are other reasons also but trying to not write a huge novel here.

You really should visit. Luckily with family there it was like we had personal tour guides, in the few times I have been we did a lot! The Biltmore house in Asheville,NC America’s largest estate. Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA, I can hardly wait to go back. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head Island, Tybee lighthouse. I have been to The Wooly Worm Festival (in Oct) and antiquing in Big Lick. Now I must say while antiquing in Big Lick I did run into trouble with one of the locals, I was wearing a #24 (Jeff Gordon) NASCAR hat. That’s Earnhardt country, period. He asked where I was from and I said So Cal. So he yelled at the gals across the way, “she’s got 2 strikes against her, she’s from California and she’s a Jeff Gordon fan, should I sell her this coke sign?” The gals laughed, and said “yes”. We chatted about racing (we were going to the Coca Cola 600), had a few laughs and he sold me the sign. We are huge NASCAR fans (it’s my husbands fault, he got me hooked!) so we have been through all the shops (I even bought used lug nuts at Earnhardt’s shop, I’ve got it bad!). So we are looking forward to attending more races. I am apologizing up front to the southern natives; I don’t like the sweet tea. Love the grits, seafood and BBQ. I love the chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel and still have not had the pleasure of eating at a Waffle House, am I missing anything on that one? I watch Paula ’s Home Cooking every Sat and Sun AM on the food network and can hardly wait for my next trip to Savannah to eat at her restaurant. I will be ordering cheesy biscuits for sure! When they say southern food is comfort food they aren’t kidding! Ate at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah and The Dillard House in GA (can’t remember the city). These are family style restaurants and what’s on the menu is exactly what you get, I have never been served so much food.

The first thing I am doing is buying a Thomas Guide, between that and map quest I should be able to get around. I am a little worried about the hurricanes and ice storms (my brother in law says the ice melts, he is such a smarty pants) but we could have an earthquake at anytime so what do you do? We are using PODS for shipping our stuff back and the price was cheaper than a moving company. They drop the POD off, you pack it, have it picked up and shipped to the nearest location you are moving to. Well I won’t consider this a novel but a short story. We are looking forward to our new adventure.
Have you made the move yet. I am from Riverside and thinking of relocating to that area after being born and raised in No. California. Visiting in April and would love to know how it is going with you and your move.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:18 PM

127 posts, read 555,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeohana View Post
MJCA...so what are you missing about Ca? We'll be heading out to Charlotte, NC at the end of the year for DH's company transfer. We are very excited for the change but scared at the same time. Having visited twice we really liked it. My hope is that we won't miss CA too much and that we would grow to love NC.
You will miss In-N-Out burger. Maybe Frys electronics. Not much good Mexican or chinese food that I've found out here.

You won't miss bumper to bumper traffic, allthough I did have to stop and wait for a turtle to cross the road once.

If you're a smoker, we still have "smoking or non smoking". I don't sit in the smoking section, but I like being able the have the choice.

It may take some getting used the bible belt. Just learn to understand that people are coming from a whole different background than you may be used to. Heck, I went to a church here (this would be much more interesting if you really knew me) and made some very good friends. Christians aren't as bad as the people in California think.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Mae View Post
EXCUSE ME,.. I SAID "LIBERALS" and include the arrogant, moneyed people who think they are better than everyone else. The bay area people are the worst! These people move to a postage stamp, get a horse or two, know little or nothing about handling these animals, and now they are the "horsey-set" complete with attitude.
That's very similar the the "RUBs" in Southern California. Rich Urban Bikers. Got alot of money, buy a Harley. Think you're cool and ride like crud.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
We are lucky enough that we will be able to buy our house outright.

That, right there, is enough to make it all worthwhile. I did the same thing. Got out from under a mortgage and own my house outright. It's AMAZING how no mortgage can take tons of stress off your back. You have the opportunity to find a job you LIKE and not one that just "pays the bills".

Quote:
I love the chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel
Chicken-n-dumplings at Cracker Barrel almost makes up for the lack of In-N-Out Burger!

Quote:
The first thing I am doing is buying a Thomas Guide,
a WHAT? We ain't got no Thomas Guides here in North Carolina. You just take a left at the old Jolnson place then turn right at the log and left when you see old Besse. If you're going really far you may have to take THE Freeway. If you get lost, just ask for directions at the filln' station.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:02 PM

57 posts, read 147,085 times
Default relocating from ca.

Ca. is a giant toxic cesspool, I would say 50 percent of people that live their feel that way!

Old 01-10-2007, 06:26 AM

889 posts, read 2,849,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
You will miss In-N-Out burger. Maybe Frys electronics. Not much good Mexican or chinese food that I've found out here.

You won't miss bumper to bumper traffic, allthough I did have to stop and wait for a turtle to cross the road once.

If you're a smoker, we still have "smoking or non smoking". I don't sit in the smoking section, but I like being able the have the choice.

It may take some getting used the bible belt. Just learn to understand that people are coming from a whole different background than you may be used to. Heck, I went to a church here (this would be much more interesting if you really knew me) and made some very good friends. Christians aren't as bad as the people in California think.
Have you tried "Cook OUT" or "5 Guys" for burgers??
I'd say they are just as good as IN-N-Out surprisingly.Mexican Food, well have not found one either unfortunalty

Old 02-20-2007, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 9,277 times
If you want to move to NC don't go to Raleigh. You will not be able to buy a house, at least not in a safe area. Raleigh is definitely not "fairly-liberal" or open minded. This is one of the furthest right wing cities in a state known for being conservative. Look to Chapel Hill if liberal is what you're looking for. According to a recent U of Cal-Sacramento study, Raleigh has more urban sprawl than any other city in the country. I've been stuck in Raleigh for almost 3 years now and can't wait to get out. You'll regret any move to Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb View Post
My husband and I both grew up in Santa Barbara, CA, but it is now impossible to raise a family here due to the extremely high cost of living. We are in our early 30's and just had a baby, so we are anxious to find a community in NC to raise our child and buy a home. My husband is a teacher and I would love to work part-time. From our internet research it appears Raleigh may the area to consider??? I have read other threads and it seems like most people relocate to NC from the New England states. What about people from southern CA? Would we experience a big culture shock? I have only been to Nashville for a week - otherwise I have never experienced the south and I have only seen snow a handful of times in my life. I have never lived outside of Santa Barbara, so I am bit nervous about any change - let alone across the country. We decided on NC as a potential place to relocate because we would be living on a teacher's salary, want a house and a safe place to raise a child. We thought about AZ, checked it out and hated it mainly because of the urban sprawl and it seems like Raleigh may have some of that?? My main concerns are finding a fairly liberal, open-minded community with teaching jobs, affordable housing, outdoor activities. We aren't sure if we will be able to first check out NC before we move there, so any help from locals would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM

155 posts, read 202,050 times
If you want a great COL ARKANSAS and MO. I have lived in MO 30 years (transplant from NJ) and am afraid that anywhere else i go will be more expensive. I live in the capital, and have a home i paid 53,000 for and can probably get 70,000 now, and taxes are in a year, half of what my son pays in a month in nj, for the same size house. It is rolling hills, and the state park system is nice.
There is not the problem on accountablitiy in the local taxes, which one sees on the east coast.
'I would love to live closer to the trains though, but have no regrets about Mid MO.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:14 PM

155 posts, read 202,050 times
50 years ago, everyone was leaving for CA, and the drug generation went also. It is a cesspool, and is quickly running out of taxpayers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or