U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 23,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKatie
Actually, you can be in Raleigh in 30 minutes from Wilson.
What time of day?
I'd say, during standard communting hours, 1 hour is reasonable estimate.
And off peak hours, 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 AM

192 posts, read 413,075 times
Used to take me 45-55 minutes to commute between the two, years ago. But that was from the edge of one to another...

Old 04-20-2006, 09:23 AM

morning traffic was another animal...awful, but it was before the outer loop around Raleigh was put in.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:27 AM

45 posts, read 154,502 times
ok, quickly. From the western edge of Wilson one can be on New Bern Ave in Raleigh in 30 to 35 min by 8 AM. After rush hour one can be at Crabtree in 35min. Before the overpass was completed Crabtree took 45 min. One can be at Trangle Town Center in 40 min. Depends greatly on where you are traveling. RDU IS an hour from Wilson.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:34 AM

wow, that's a great improvement & one that was dearly needed when I was there.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM

5,658 posts, read 17,419,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYGIRL
Only for you???
And what is it that you are looking for that NC does not have somewhere?

Old 04-20-2006, 05:15 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,122,777 times
Default hey Sarcat

<<and the all time favorite "you call this a city?">>

Yeah, I said that to my husband when I first visited Raleigh , butit wasn't an insult for me, really.

Raleigh is more like a large suburban town to me.

See, he wanted us to move to Raleigh & I said, no , I do NOT want to live in a city!
Then I saw it... and it had such a liveable, knowable scale, it wasn't overwhelming or dirty like NY & Boston (hey, flamers, I do not mean the wealthy & touristy parts of those cities, I mean the parts normal people have to work & live in!)

I knew I really could live there. And then we starteed the process that is bringing us there.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:53 PM

143 posts, read 312,213 times
We've gone downtown once but hope to do more once we land! Raleigh made the same impression on us: a very approachable and "human-scaled" downtown area that struck me as much cleaner than I am used to seeing in places like Boston.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:54 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,076,630 times
Default relocating from the oc to the nc

My husband and I have our house up for sale right now. We will be relocating to the Charlotte area. I was born and raised in So Cal, and am excited and scared at the same time. The saving grace is that my brother in law and his family live in Charlotte and my husband spent 10 years growing up in Atlanta. I have been back 3 times on vacation and it is absolutely beautiful. It was a huge decision for us and I actually wrote pro's and con's down on paper. We are lucky enough that we will be able to buy our house outright. That’s the biggest pro of all; I am 40 and my husband 50. Life is too short and in 10 or 15 years from now we didn't want to say "what if"? It took a couple months of convincing but I agreed. I love photography, especially shooting old barns and abandoned houses, which are abundant in the south. I may have time to actually work on selling or publishing my photography and hopefully my husband will be able to work with cars in one way or another, the automobile is his passion. Quite a huge difference from the IT industry might as well do what you enjoy. Of course there are other reasons also but trying to not write a huge novel here.

You really should visit. Luckily with family there it was like we had personal tour guides, in the few times I have been we did a lot! The Biltmore house in Asheville,NC America’s largest estate. Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA, I can hardly wait to go back. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head Island, Tybee lighthouse. I have been to The Wooly Worm Festival (in Oct) and antiquing in Big Lick. Now I must say while antiquing in Big Lick I did run into trouble with one of the locals, I was wearing a #24 (Jeff Gordon) NASCAR hat. That’s Earnhardt country, period. He asked where I was from and I said So Cal. So he yelled at the gals across the way, “she’s got 2 strikes against her, she’s from California and she’s a Jeff Gordon fan, should I sell her this coke sign?” The gals laughed, and said “yes”. We chatted about racing (we were going to the Coca Cola 600), had a few laughs and he sold me the sign. We are huge NASCAR fans (it’s my husbands fault, he got me hooked!) so we have been through all the shops (I even bought used lug nuts at Earnhardt’s shop, I’ve got it bad!). So we are looking forward to attending more races. I am apologizing up front to the southern natives; I don’t like the sweet tea. Love the grits, seafood and BBQ. I love the chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel and still have not had the pleasure of eating at a Waffle House, am I missing anything on that one? I watch Paula ’s Home Cooking every Sat and Sun AM on the food network and can hardly wait for my next trip to Savannah to eat at her restaurant. I will be ordering cheesy biscuits for sure! When they say southern food is comfort food they aren’t kidding! Ate at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah and The Dillard House in GA (can’t remember the city). These are family style restaurants and what’s on the menu is exactly what you get, I have never been served so much food.

The first thing I am doing is buying a Thomas Guide, between that and map quest I should be able to get around. I am a little worried about the hurricanes and ice storms (my brother in law says the ice melts, he is such a smarty pants) but we could have an earthquake at anytime so what do you do? We are using PODS for shipping our stuff back and the price was cheaper than a moving company. They drop the POD off, you pack it, have it picked up and shipped to the nearest location you are moving to. Well I won’t consider this a novel but a short story. We are looking forward to our new adventure.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:51 AM

167 posts, read 628,723 times
Smile Cracker Barrel?!?

Nancy--
Did you say Cracker Barrel??
I LOVE the Cracker Barrel...
I live near the Wisconsin/Minnesota border right now and am planning a move to NC before the next snowfall here. I was so hoping there would be Cracker Barrel's down there... there used to be one up here, in a Minneapolis suburb, but the last time I went there, it was all boarded up and and shut down, and we can't figure out why. Whenever we went there it was always packed.
Anyway I could eat the hash brown casserole till I burst, it's my favorite. It's one of the only restaurants I could go to around here and never be disappointed or get sick. Yay Cracker Barrel!
So can anyone tell me, how common are they in NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina