U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2006, 03:04 PM

603 posts, read 1,758,004 times

Advertisements

To the people that want to "change" and "update" the south, I think thats a little selfish.If you don't like the way things are done down there,then don't move down there.Many people,including myself, want to go there because of the culture and the overall environment.I'm so sick of Nyers.Such attitudes.And they do drive like psychos.God forbid you're not going 70mph down a 30 mph street.I can't wait to leave.I long for the small town southern feel.And i hope it does not turn into another NY or NJ anytime soon.If you want the "modern" feel then stay in NY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,670,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
To the people that want to "change" and "update" the south, I think thats a little selfish.If you don't like the way things are done down there,then don't move down there.Many people,including myself, want to go there because of the culture and the overall environment.I'm so sick of Nyers.Such attitudes.And they do drive like psychos.God forbid you're not going 70mph down a 30 mph street.I can't wait to leave.I long for the small town southern feel.And i hope it does not turn into another NY or NJ anytime soon.If you want the "modern" feel then stay in NY.
Amen.

As we say, "preach on brother!"

Old 09-10-2006, 01:41 AM

505 posts, read 2,315,676 times
Try Wilmington NC. I don't think anyone can say anything bad about it! It's on the beach, so you might feel more at home.

The Raleigh area will probably be your best bet though. Most people who live here are not originally from here anyway. You will not be alone.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 AM

56 posts, read 306,229 times
Default U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Try Wilmington NC. I don't think anyone can say anything bad about it! It's on the beach, so you might feel more at home.

The Raleigh area will probably be your best bet though. Most people who live here are not originally from here anyway. You will not be alone.
Oh no Beffrey2. You just opened a can of worms when you said "Try Wilmington". There are some here that will try their best to convince you
otherwise. Pay attention to who they are. It is usually the same people over and over again.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:57 AM

463 posts, read 1,519,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.Citizen View Post
Oh no Beffrey2. You just opened a can of worms when you said "Try Wilmington". There are some here that will try their best to convince youotherwise. Pay attention to who they are. It is usually the same people over and over again.
I'm not one of the people who responds to posts about Wilmington but I don't think there's any kind of nefarious plot to keep new people out. It's those who know Wilmington well and know the downside or why it doesn't suit the needs of many who ask about it who respond to the posts about Wilmington. I'm thankful for their candor. I don't "do" hurricanes so it's not the place for me.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-10-2006 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 AM

915 posts, read 2,314,764 times
As I've said many times on here, there are two main problems with Wilmington, that being traffic and jobs. If you are willing to put up with either one, it's a great place. But if you are thinking of obtaining some high paying high tech job, it's likely not going to happen. I know from personal experiences of both myself and former co-workers. If you're happy in retail, restaurants, or the medical or service industries, you'll get a job, although it might not pay as much as they would in say Raleigh or Charlotte.

All being said, I'd move back there (been away for four years now) if I could keep my current Asheville salary. When someone makes a post saying they're considering Wilmington and are making some great salary in say, NY or CA, as a network engineer, I think I'm doing the right thing by warning them of the scarcity of those jobs there.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:28 AM

889 posts, read 2,852,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic View Post
Deb,respect for other people don't cost anything.It's free.It don't matter if you are from up north or down south.personally I think this forum is funny.My father was from Canada,Mother from the south,Wife is from California,For years I traveled to a different town or city every night.They are ding bats who will argue with a stop sign and will say any thing to get one started.I actually own a large web site with a forum like this one.I like watching people argue and this forum is the same.Religion,politics and wher someone is from or race will get someone in a fuss faster than anything else.I bet everyone of you would help the other.California folks,NC
is great.I think you will like it.
I just relocated from Calif.to N.C and think it is great and do like it

Old 09-22-2006, 06:37 AM

17 posts, read 40,811 times
We just moved from So.Cal. in late July. In Wilmington, NC,near the beach. It's nice, affordable, lots of things to do. childrens museum, historic battleship to visit, miniature golf, water sports, lots of healthy people here, walking, running, aquarium, outdoor concerts, good restaurants. Then Myrtle Beach is 1 hr away which is a little like L.A. in terms of night life, shopping, a big city. It's really woodsy and green, alot of parks here. Nice homes can range from $300,000 to $580,000 and of course more. I am still missing Calif alot though, it's only been one month. One thing we wanted is an area where our kids, ages 5 AND 8, would thrive and be surrounded by quality people. They love it here, lots of friends & the school is very good so far as I see. good luck!

Old 09-23-2006, 09:01 AM

88 posts, read 230,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjca4 View Post
We just moved from So.Cal. in late July. In Wilmington, NC,near the beach. It's nice, affordable, lots of things to do. childrens museum, historic battleship to visit, miniature golf, water sports, lots of healthy people here, walking, running, aquarium, outdoor concerts, good restaurants. Then Myrtle Beach is 1 hr away which is a little like L.A. in terms of night life, shopping, a big city. It's really woodsy and green, alot of parks here. Nice homes can range from $300,000 to $580,000 and of course more. I am still missing Calif alot though, it's only been one month. One thing we wanted is an area where our kids, ages 5 AND 8, would thrive and be surrounded by quality people. They love it here, lots of friends & the school is very good so far as I see. good luck!
MJCA...so what are you missing about Ca? We'll be heading out to Charlotte, NC at the end of the year for DH's company transfer. We are very excited for the change but scared at the same time. Having visited twice we really liked it. My hope is that we won't miss CA too much and that we would grow to love NC.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,534 times
Honey, you are joking when you said "fairly liberal, open-minded community" and the south, especially North Carolina, in the same breathe, yes? I know that was a joke, cause everyone knows this is a bible belt State that votes overwhelmingly Republican. We still have Sunday blue laws that are enforced. About as open minded as it gets around here is freedom tchoose a Christian Church, and you better be in church on Sunday. Don't worry, not much open on Sunday morning to distract you (those pesky blue laws again).

About as close as you'll come is Carrboro, cause they have an openly gay mayor. But, the price of real estate in Chapel Hill/Orange County is twice as expensive as Raleigh. Course they are desperate for teachers, mostly cause the teachers can't afford to live there.

Now outdoor activities are plenty. Raleigh is only 2 hours from the beach and 4 hours from the mountains. And there is plenty to do, depending on what you like to do.

You definitely need to visit before you move. I suggest not going into Cary, as it is the strong hold of the rude Yankees. Furthermore, it is easy to get lost in Cary, cause everything is generic, bland, and otherwise indistinguishable.

Good luck, and lord bless ya.[/quote]

Ok, I read your post and just want to touch base and tell you that you made my mind up for me.

I was born and raised in NJ and I agree, people are as rude as anything. I have spent most of my life running from NJ and went to Europe for 6 years and then back to Jersey for 3 years and then moved to Louisiana and then back to Jersey and stayed there for 7 years so my mom could be near 2 of her 6 grandchildren. She finally told me it was ok to leave and I felt guilty but was starving in NJ. So we moved to a state that my brother moved to and said it was awesome. That would be Florida. UGH. It was nice at first but the novelty has worn out. The palm trees are nice and the year round nice weather is nice BUT I need something at a slower pace. I hate the fast life and I hate the traffic. I am not a shopper and I am more of a homebody.

I want a place where people take time to smell the roses and enjoy the things they have in life. I just want a small community where the schools are good, people close for holidays instead of being controlled by money. I need a place where I can let my kids out, be involved in a good Christian church where my kids can be involved in too and where I can just sit on my porch and just enjoy the slower life.

Does that exist? I am not the typical NYorker or Jersian. I hate the fast pace and I hate the rudeness. I just despise and moving to Florida was a let down as half the people I have met here have been from the North. If I wanted that around me I would have stayed here and I am going just as broke as I was in Jersey. Things here in Jersey are crazy. The only thing I can afford here is cigarettes. LOL. I can afford to sit and smoke but cannot afford to drive as insurance is twice what it was in Jersey and the gas prices are out of control.

Anyway, I am still looking for places in NC and I have been thinking about Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids. I just want something small and nice and I do not want to live near rich people. LOL. I have never been there just drove through it. LOL. My mom has been to Rocky Mount several times and tells me i would like it. My husband is transferring from his job to one in NC but we just do not know where we want to be. I want to be as close to the border of Virginia as possible as toward the east so the people from Jersey can come visit.

I am purely Republican and I am all for businesses closing on Sundays. It is a day of rest and going to church and then fellowshipping with others is a perfect way to spend a Sunday. I am all for it. Tell me which towns do that and I am there.

Thanks for posting this information. It sounds like just the place I want to be with my family and don't worry, I am not a typical Yankee. I do like the NY Yankees baseball team but certainly not a typical yankee. Have no fear NC, I am not rude and just want life to slow down some so we can enjoy it. I want a place that has Christmas carolers out and people can actually enjoy Christmas and not the HOLIDAY. I want to celebrate with kids playing in the streets and lights everywhere that people can just go look out and get that spirit without all the mall shopping and spending, etc.

maybe I was not meant to be in this era. LOL.

Thanks again,

Cuteepatoot@aol.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or