U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:03 PM
gmb gmb started this thread

45 posts, read 269,867 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both grew up in Santa Barbara, CA, but it is now impossible to raise a family here due to the extremely high cost of living. We are in our early 30's and just had a baby, so we are anxious to find a community in NC to raise our child and buy a home. My husband is a teacher and I would love to work part-time. From our internet research it appears Raleigh may the area to consider??? I have read other threads and it seems like most people relocate to NC from the New England states. What about people from southern CA? Would we experience a big culture shock? I have only been to Nashville for a week - otherwise I have never experienced the south and I have only seen snow a handful of times in my life. I have never lived outside of Santa Barbara, so I am bit nervous about any change - let alone across the country. We decided on NC as a potential place to relocate because we would be living on a teacher's salary, want a house and a safe place to raise a child. We thought about AZ, checked it out and hated it mainly because of the urban sprawl and it seems like Raleigh may have some of that?? My main concerns are finding a fairly liberal, open-minded community with teaching jobs, affordable housing, outdoor activities. We aren't sure if we will be able to first check out NC before we move there, so any help from locals would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 PM

29 posts, read 107,639 times
Default Hey

We are also moving to NC from WV but we have been to NC plenty of times. I grew up in Columbia, SC and came to WV for smaller schools for our children. Raleigh is a busy city and Cary is right outside of there, It was voted one of the best smaller cities to live. We are looking at the Greenville area because it is close to the coast and is big enought o have good jons but has a ton of smaller communities that have great schools. Winterville was voted one of the top 50 growing communites. I hope this helps. Good Luck and yes I am afraid you are going to have major culture shock but you will love it anyway!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:22 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Here is a earlier thread on the same subject that might be useful to you.

Relocating from CA

Old 04-18-2006, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 14,055 times
Cool N.C. or?

If you are from Cal. I think N.C. would be a significant change for you. You may want to consider a state like texas where a lot of californians are buying property.

The Austin area is fairly liberal. Texas just announced an $8 billion surplus and real estate taxes should be coming down. There is no state income tax. It's warmer than N.C. especially in the winter months.
The Austin real estate market is doing very well now although properties are still substantially less than Cal. One area that is very nice is georgetown about 20 minutes north of Austin. Great schools, great recreational and sport facilities, very low crime rate with strong police force ,all in all a great place to raise a family.
Another area to consider would be Sugarland just southwest of Houston. Property is very inexpensive there. It has won *****st city in Texas two years in a row.
I'm not knocking N.C. because it has its pluses but for those of us living in Cal. or Florida(where I live) it just might be too big a jump.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:01 AM

889 posts, read 2,849,873 times
Gmb-
I would highly recommend some how some way to go there first and spend even a couple of days in certain areas that you think you may settle down and live.
I am in the proccess of leaving Calif. myself for the first time ( to live) and i am older than you. It takes alot of courage to be willing to take the plung and go for it. For me, my son lives there. At 20 years old he bought himself a home and has a job that he loves.I have been there on many occasions and have been impressed.
For my husband and i we are dissolusioned by the steep real estate prices. We do own here but cant affoard to move up. We will have so much more of a home and financially be better off.
In your situation you must remain opened minded and want to get out there meet people and become involved. I am sure with having a child that will bring you oppertunitys to do so.
I am sure you will have no problem being able to buy a home there. Where you are now i highly doubt it on just a teaching salary.
Most parts of Calif. have become to expensive to live. My son has missed family and friends but feels he already has grown and is prospering in ways he could have never here. He would have still been living at home here!!!!
His mortage payment is less than what he would have payed for an apt. here!!!
Evaluate your priorites. Is owning that home important to you?
Possibly raising your child in a better inviroment?
I think at your age you have nothing to loose. It gets harder as your child gets older and then you never will.
The people there are friendly and as far as culture shock i really dont know.
Its the south my dear. They say Y'all and have accents!!Some of there food is different but in the end we all just people

Old 04-18-2006, 10:56 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Keep in mind, that North Carolina is a big state and that if one location doesn't suit your tastes, another might. There are big social, political, geographical, racial, economic and climate differences across the state. North Carolina truly has it all, just not all in the same location.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-18-2006 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,352,638 times
Our family moved from Southern CA-to Fort Mill SC area-just south of Charlotte NC-have never looked back! Good Luck to you!

Old 04-18-2006, 01:43 PM

787 posts, read 3,321,817 times
Oh and if you don't like the climate in NC, just wait 24 hours. It will probably change. Another thing is I live about 50 miles from the Pamlico Sound region and when I started out to Cherokee in April of 1993, I had on a peach colored sun dress and it was 80 degrees outside. When we got to Cherokee and Maggie Valley, it was 35 degrees and they were expecting snow that night. I nearly froze when I got out of the car to use a pay phone. And yes the locals got a good laugh out of it as well.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:42 PM

9 posts, read 31,606 times
Darling, I'm a native Carolinian, and culture shock don't begin to describe what you're going to experience. There are a couple of y'all Californians who got a booth up at the flea market, and they just hate it around here (Raleigh), bless their hearts. Not what they're used to, I suppose.

If y'all gonna come to Raleigh for the school system, you should read the local paper, N&O, for all the latest. Every year, all the students are re-assigned, and currently, the powers that be are talking about year around system. It is cause of all the growth out pacing the infastructure.

You only have to park on the interstate (cause it is too crowded to actually drive on it) to know that the growth is out stripping the infastructure. And course, since all those Yankee relocatees are predominately from Jersey and New York, are famed southern politeness is being erroded by and replaced by the infamous New Yorker rude attitude. All those Yankees coming down to these parts. They are trying to assess impact fees on the real estate to build schools, but the developers are fighting it.

Course, housing is cheap. That is, if you consider $500,000 to $1,000,000 for a oversized house, hastily thrown up, with tiny yards, in bland, generic neighborhoods, to be cheap. Course, when the average teacher doesn't make but $40K and less a year, you won't be able to afford those anyway. Which means, you'll have to look out towards Johnston County, about 20 miles down the most congested corridor in Raleigh. Urban sprawl is beyond becoming a problem and is rapidly and unfortunately, being a way of life.

Honey, you are joking when you said "fairly liberal, open-minded community" and the south, especially North Carolina, in the same breathe, yes? I know that was a joke, cause everyone knows this is a bible belt State that votes overwhelmingly Republican. We still have Sunday blue laws that are enforced. About as open minded as it gets around here is freedom to choose a Christian Church, and you better be in church on Sunday. Don't worry, not much open on Sunday morning to distract you (those pesky blue laws again).

About as close as you'll come is Carrboro, cause they have an openly gay mayor. But, the price of real estate in Chapel Hill/Orange County is twice as expensive as Raleigh. Course they are desperate for teachers, mostly cause the teachers can't afford to live there.

Now outdoor activities are plenty. Raleigh is only 2 hours from the beach and 4 hours from the mountains. And there is plenty to do, depending on what you like to do.

You definitely need to visit before you move. I suggest not going into Cary, as it is the strong hold of the rude Yankees. Furthermore, it is easy to get lost in Cary, cause everything is generic, bland, and otherwise indistinguishable.

Good luck, and lord bless ya.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:11 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,109,669 times
I am a Yankee that relocated. I am far from rude. This is a wonderful place to raise a family and move. If you want to see rude-reread what you wrote. :-)

Debbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or