U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2006, 06:40 AM

285 posts, read 1,006,521 times

Advertisements

In the hopes that I can be a source of factual data about a topic parents have a right to know that facts on, I would like to share the following:
Corporal punishment in used in 21 states in the United States. The remaining 29 have laws that protect children from being hit with wooden planks.
Roughly 70% of the school districts in the state of North Carolina still have this policy on the books, and thousands of children are paddled in North Carolina schools each year. Parental consent is not mandated by law, and parents do not have to be notified until after the child has been hit.
Ironically, when my fifth grader was to receive a hygiene packet and stick of anti perspirant at school, it required TWO signatures. One to allow her to have the products, and another promising that she would not open the packet on the bus.
If you are looking to relocate from a state that does not hit children at school, it would be wise for you to gather the facts, and understand the new culture that you are considering. I wish that someone had informed me of this issue prior to buying and settling in Union County, NC. I would have chosen my location differently. For those of you who like the idea of children being paddled, conversely, you will find many school administrators in our state who will be happy to strike your child for you.
I do not wish to inflame anyone or anger anyone in presenting the facts. I wish to inform readers that this exists, and point out sites that contain factual data. That way, you can make an informed decision as to where you want to live, based on many things. The school culture is top priority to me and my family, that is why I am so concerned about this topic.
Thank you,
Peggy

Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 AM

787 posts, read 3,324,200 times
Well, and this is the last thing I am going to say on the subject, she has provided all of you from other states that the corporal punishment law is still on the books. Although I have been reassured that Greene County uses it very rarely and that they didn't paddle Brianna when at the age of 6 she struck a teacher, I don't know what else to say except for this. You have to know what you can and can't deal with. If you don't like the laws of a particular state, I would suggest that you look else where if this bothers you so much. I am sure that the state educators will be doing their best to get the law off the books. But it is a slow process. And anyone that just moves here is not going to get anything done any faster than the rest of us can. You move to California and you are endanger of losing your life due to earthquakes. Move to tornado alley and the same thing is true. In the northern states, you know that the winters can be brutal and in the gulf states and up the Atlantic seaboard, you can just about bank on at least one hurricane rearranging your house and your life. So before you move to North Carolina or anywhere else for that matter, do the research and figure out what you can and can't live with. But don't ever think that you are going to move into a state where you have never been before and think for one minute you are going to rearrange the lives of people that have had family here for over 300 years. It isn't going to happen anywhere. There are a lot of good things about North Carolina but since this thing about corporal punishment has come up, some of you don't seem to be able to see beyond that. What about the people with no children or retiring people where this is not an issue? Why bad mouth the entire state over one law that is rarely acted on at least where I live. The worse thing about North Carolina that I can see is the oppressive humidity in the summer with temps easily at the high 90's and low to mid 100's with dangerous heat indexes to 115 F. Also if you move close enough to the coast, sooner or later "the big one" in the form of a hurricane is bound to get you at one time or the other. And I have heard and read that we are in a different type of weather pattern that is going to plunge us into more and stronger storms for the next 30 years or so. And Hurricane season 2005 seems to support that. We ran out of names and had to go into the Greek alphabet and had a tropical storm in the Northern Atlantic into January. That has never happened before. But if you come to a state with both guns ablazing and demanded reform for a situation that you only know is on the books, you are going to be met with some less than friendly southern hospitality. For the most part Southerns are friendly but they don't take kindly to someone who has just moved here telling them what they should and shouldn't be doing here. So my best advice is that if you can't tolerate this law that is on our books regarding corporal punishment, which honestly I thought never happened, I would say perhaps that you need to find another state to move to. Change will come with people like Ms. Dean working to get reform. But it doesn't happen over night. Like I stated before, if they didn't paddle Brianna at the age of 6 for slapping her teacher, I would think most kids are pretty safe at least where I live at from corporal punishment.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:44 AM

Oh, one other thing. What are the green dots for up under your number of posts?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Yac

5,923 posts, read 6,540,152 times
Number of green dots depends on your Rep.
I don't know exactly but it is about that:
1-10 Rep - 1 dot
12-25 - 2 dots
25+ - 3 dots

Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 AM

Thank you for answering that for me.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:12 AM

741 posts, read 3,265,175 times
for the most part I agree with Bethany about finding what you can and can't deal with in other states. I want to add that I am so glad I found this info out before purchasing a home in NC. Sure, the state is beautiful, and there are many great colleges, As far as retiree's it's a great place. But for those moving from the north where Corpral punishment does not exsist , It is hard to swallow. We are misguided into believing all laws are similiar in all states. It's a wake up call for all those up North. We need to do our research on all aspect's of the state's law's and policies. Instead of blindly walking into a different "culture". We need to be aware of such differences. I think it's great that Peggy has put it out there for those of us who just don't know. The more informed the better.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 AM

285 posts, read 1,006,521 times
North Carolina is a great place to live. I agree, the more informed, the better.
Just make your decisons based on lots of factors, but if school culture is important to you, investigate this.
I have chosen to remain in my county and in my state, and work to effect positive change. The use of corporal punishment in our schools is a negative feature to me. For some, this could be a positive feature. One of our school board members who voted to keep it said that he liked corporal punishment because it gave his children continuity between home and school. He hits his children at home when they break rules, and he wants for them to know that they will be hit at school if they misbehave.
Ditto the part about continuity between home and school, I want for my children to know that it is never OK for an adult to pick up a wooden plank and hit them. We do not hit wives, husbands, dogs, mental patients, prisoners, preschool children, foster care children, day care children in the state of NC, at least the law doesn't allow for these actions. Why do we have a specific law allowing this action for school children?

Old 04-18-2006, 10:01 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,233,070 times
Seems like a lot of kids from NJ have established behavior problems. Their parents fear that when they relocate to NC, the schools wont tolerate their kids tantrums the same way they did in NJ. In NJ when Billy acted up he was told to let it out, be yourself, donít hold it in. In NC they see that as an un-needed distraction and they deal with it in a swift and behavior modifying fashion. The teachers also see this as a parent problem. If the parents arenít going to teach the children how to behave in public then the schools will.
My suggestion to you who have misbehaving kids, teach them how to behave and the schools wont have to.
If your kids are such angles as you profess then you have nothing to worry about. Corporal punishment if reserved for those unruly kids that are an un-needed distraction that takes away from your kids education. You should be glad that your perfect child will be in an environment that focuses on educating children instead of wasting time on psychoanalysis of why Billy throws tantrums. With corporal punishment Billy will get it figured out real soon that these teachers mean business. If mommy and daddy wont discipline them then they will.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 AM

8,794 posts, read 3,627,226 times
Default Thread closed

From now on all posts about corporal punishment will be considered off topic for this forum and deleted. Please do not re-open this topic anywhere else here.
Regards,
markablue, forum moderator

Old 04-20-2006, 12:46 AM

8,794 posts, read 3,627,226 times
Default Corporal Punishment discussion moved

There is another forum you might want to move the discussion to along with all interested. Please put the most important information there: (www)
healthofchildren.com/forum/about5.html
All the best,
markablue, forum moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina