Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:48 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
No problem here with preserving history, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon be making history disappear.
Yep, it's actually the destruction/denial of history. Like, if we do away with the statues, flags, etc, we can somehow pretend that none of it ever happened. Should we do away with all reminders of a darker past? Do we demolish the Pearl Harbor memorial site, because a "bad thing" happened there? Or is that OK, because it was someone else doing "bad things" to us?

Regardless of the right or wrong of the issue, it's still a part of history that needs to be preserved. All history doesn't have to be "good" to be worth remembering. We would probably all be better off (as in, better informed) if ALL of our history was fully disclosed and transparent. It's not so bad to be reminded of the evils that our "good" forefathers did.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:52 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
No problem here with preserving history, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon be making history disappear.
Unless we're planning on getting rid of schools and museums, there will be no "making history disappear." Everything of historical significance doesn't belong in prominent public spaces.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:54 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unless we're planning on getting rid of schools and museums, there will be no "making history disappear." Everything of historical significance doesn't belong in prominent public spaces.
So you are in favor of removing confederate monuments from Courthouse lawns and the capitol grounds?

I'm sure all schools named for confederate leaders will be gone in 10 years.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:03 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Except for the display of the flag, at the capitol, in Columbia, SC, there is not much difference between Eastern NC and SC except for the license plate.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Yeah, there's a big difference between preserving history and flaunting it. Obviously we as a society are coming to realize that many things we've perhaps taken for granted as merely a historic tip of the hat is genuinely offensive to some. I think there's nothing wrong with memorializing those who fought and gave their lives in a war, even though it was unjust. Many Southern soldiers likely did not fully understand the implications of their cause--most weren't slave owners and weren't directly affected by the issue. They were merely caught up in the glory and honor of defending their homeland from perceived aggression. But we do need to be careful that we respect the feelings of those who are offended by symbols that recall a very dark past, and who often still suffer from lingering discrimination.

As a parallel, I certainly feel sympathy for the common soldiers of Japan and Germany who fought and died, caught up in a fervor that offered them little alternative. I see nothing wrong with acknowledging their sacrifices, even though they clearly were in support of oppressive regimes. But I certainly don't support waving Nazi flags as a means of acknowledging them.

Similarly, I was struck recently on the way to beach by the fact that a section of I-74 in Robeson County is now designated as the American Indian Highway (or perhaps it's Native American Highway? I don't remember the exact wording on the signs). That's quite ironic because for decades US 74 was (and still is) called the "Andrew Jackson Highway". Jackson was one of the most brutal Indian fighters of the early US, so it must have really stuck in the craw of Robeson County native Americans to have a highway named for him running right through their traditional tribal grounds. I have no problem with removing Jackson's name from the highway along that stretch, or along the entire highway for that matter.

We shouldn't erase history, of course, but we can certainly do more to put things into context while respecting those who may not see things the same way.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
So you are in favor of removing confederate monuments from Courthouse lawns and the capitol grounds?

I'm sure all schools named for confederate leaders will be gone in 10 years.
I'm not against it whatsoever and would shed not one tear if it actually happened. Heck, I'd celebrate.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yeah, there's a big difference between preserving history and flaunting it. Obviously we as a society are coming to realize that many things we've perhaps taken for granted as merely a historic tip of the hat is genuinely offensive to some. I think there's nothing wrong with memorializing those who fought and gave their lives in a war, even though it was unjust. Many Southern soldiers likely did not fully understand the implications of their cause--most weren't slave owners and weren't directly affected by the issue. They were merely caught up in the glory and honor of defending their homeland from perceived aggression. But we do need to be careful that we respect the feelings of those who are offended by symbols that recall a very dark past, and who often still suffer from lingering discrimination.

As a parallel, I certainly feel sympathy for the common soldiers of Japan and Germany who fought and died, caught up in a fervor that offered them little alternative. I see nothing wrong with acknowledging their sacrifices, even though they clearly were in support of oppressive regimes. But I certainly don't support waving Nazi flags as a means of acknowledging them.

Similarly, I was struck recently on the way to beach by the fact that a section of I-74 in Robeson County is now designated as the American Indian Highway (or perhaps it's Native American Highway? I don't remember the exact wording on the signs). That's quite ironic because for decades US 74 was (and still is) called the "Andrew Jackson Highway". Jackson was one of the most brutal Indian fighters of the early US, so it must have really stuck in the craw of Robeson County native Americans to have a highway named for him running right through their traditional tribal grounds. I have no problem with removing Jackson's name from the highway along that stretch, or along the entire highway for that matter.

We shouldn't erase history, of course, but we can certainly do more to put things into context while respecting those who may not see things the same way.
Repped. Awesome post.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not against it whatsoever and would shed not one tear if it actually happened. Heck, I'd celebrate.
I'm sorry you think erasing and whitewashing history is acceptable. Your acceptance of intolerance is something you might want to reconsider.

"Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Inspired by a thread over in the Texas forum, how often do you see old Confederate symbols around NC? For example, maybe a "Johnny Reb" as a school mascot, or areas where you've noticed more Confederate Flags than others. North Carolina is an interesting southern state, we held off seceding for the longest time but gave more than any other Confederate state during the war. During the 50's and 60's, we weren't vicious on the same level as the Deep South, probably a reason we don't have too many Confederate Flag issues/controversies as opposed to South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi. I'm sure this'll turn into a debate but let's try to stay on the original topic at the same time. Do you think North Carolina will put up a fight to preserve Confederate heritage?
One of my cousins & I were talking about the current furor about the stars & bars last night. His mother was a native Texan.

We were discussing how, in the 50s, in Michigan, we rarely saw it, but it was considered historical. We were also aware that it was more prevalent in states that had been in the Confederacy. We considered that to be based on history.

Then 1960 came & the centennial of the Civil War went on until 1965. There was much more made of the centennial than the 150th anniversary. The flags were all over the place. During this, many states took the opportunity to raise the stars & bars in protest of desegregation.

I understand why the stars & bars in Columbia is offensive to many. It is NOT there to honor Civil War soldiers. A Confederate national flag would do just fine. That stars & bars was put up to protest desegregation. If they want to fly flags there they should be flying 2, a Confederate national & a period US flag. Don't forget that in the intervening time that the stars & bars was adopted by some hate groups.

I don't see a lot of Confederate monuments in NC. I don't have a problem with them. I remember seeing one Union monument in Michigan & a statue of one Union general in Philadelphia. (Mead)

I think that the stars & bars should come down in Columbia because of why it went up. Much of the rest of the current furor is overreaction, in my opinion. Leave the Confederate monuments up, but add monuments to the US Colored Troops & NC had some white regiments in the Union Army. Put up monuments to them too.

I'm totally against a move to erase history, but don't forget about some parts selectively.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 AM

Just an FYI, the first national flag of the confederacy IS the Stars and Bars, and I think substituting it for the battle flag is a great idea and a good compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina